Force a % of prison sentence to be IC [G]

Instead of forcing them to spend time in-game, incentivize them to be in-game roleplaying by making the jail-timer court down faster by a margin between 20% and 100% while they are in-game.

Essentially reward them for roleplaying their jailtime by giving them a shorter sentence.

4 minutes ago, BjornV said:

Instead of forcing them to spend time in-game, incentivize them to be in-game roleplaying by making the jail-timer court down faster by a margin between 20% and 100% while they are in-game.

Essentially reward them for roleplaying their jailtime by giving them a shorter sentence.

It already does 

I'm supporting this but it shouldn't be a fixed percentage. The jail is partially inactive because everyone offlines their sentence and this would atleast bring some very much needed activity to the jail. However, this can be troublesome for people with long sentences. For example, 10% of a 20 day sentence is going to force you to actively roleplay for two accumulative days (48 hours), which is quite a lot. I don't even get that much hours over the span of a month on my characters sometimes. On the other hand, 10% of a one day sentence is only two hours. So this suggestion really needs to look at how this might affect people with higher time sentences and adjust for that. 

Still against this because of the fact that the prison is unrealistically co-ed, juveniles are in with adults, non-violent misdemeanor criminals in with max-sec murderers, and a myriad of other problems.

Yes, prison activity is low and people cite not having enough SD to man the prison if everyone was separated realistically. That means accommodate for the lack of realism and allow people to keep doing their sentence offline.

Edited by Havana
4 hours ago, Doosty said:

The jail is currently being revamped as far as mapping and things to do within it, so hopefully we'll soon be able to sustain activity within it without forcing anyone to do so. 

With all honesty I'd read this message I wrote which summarizes the end result of IC jail sentence:

On 2/7/2020 at 2:22 PM, Vash Baldeus said:

I am very interested in Prison Roleplay (even watched Documentaries about Prison), but due to the fact of my past experiences 90% of the time people are (if they are online) AFK-ing, Certain people prefer to focus on ONE character than having 3 and trying to juggle shit around between all 3. More over, since 2007 (The time I began Roleplaying on SAMP) Prison was always an AFK yard, even DoC memebers found it boring as hell. Forcing something upon someone will backfire heavily (take a look at Matrix where they say that millions of "crops"(humans) failed because Humans did not accept the programing of being told what to do, but when they were given an illusion of choice they accepted it), by encouraging the DoC Officers to be more active and allowing interaction between an in-mate and an officer and other in-mates will drastically improve the over all experience.

Forcing to serve the whole sentence honestly will hurt the people who can not afford to play 8~12 hours a day due to other responsibilities in their lives, I'd say on average a person (talking about a person who has a family or significant other and a job) he can afford to play for 2 hours a day, after work. You put his character behind bars, force him to Roleplay (lets say half his sentence, when his sentence is 20 days), it will eventually be a longer sentence as he won't have the time to actually finish the 240 hours remaining (10 days, 24 hours a day, 24*10=240 hours) and it will take him another 120 days (if only 2 hours a day, as worst case scenario) to finish the sentence, meaning it turns into 4 months instead of 20 days inside. In essence killing his character and disconnecting him from his associates and what not.

People forget that this is a game, yes we do simulate real life, but honestly? Forcing someone to serve a sentence which is an IC thing should not affect his OOC. Contrary to your belief we grown ups (people who have the following:), have a significant other(maybe kids as well), a house and a job to deal with beyond the game. I do understand the reasoning behind why you want people to Roleplay their IC punishment but try to look at the bigger picture, not everyone can do such a long time. More over you can not say "You have 3 slots, use the extra for an alt", not everyone wants to do that, not everyone feel okay of splitting their Roleplay on 3 characters.

@Yoak please give this a read, even if the time when you are in-game is moving faster on your sentence, for example, do you really think that IRL time of lets say 45 days which is 1,080 hours is fair to a person who has work, wife, kids and other responsibilities? This is a game, the IC jail or prison sentence should not be an OOC punishment, this is not an Admin-Jail punishment! Even if time goes faster by being online, do you really think it moves 300% or higher faster than being offline, even if the time moves 300% faster while being online, that still remains 15 days, which 360 hours to remain in game. So, out of a sentence that I gave as an example of 45 days that you suggest 10% of the sentence to be mandatory to be served in-game you want the player to sit 4.5 days in-game, which is 108 hours, if we do the math, lets say 2 hours a day? that's 54 days that the person will be stuck in prison / jail if he comes on for 2 hours a day 7 days a week straight.

WE ARE PLAYING A GAME, NOT REAL LIFE. PEOPLE SEEM TO FORGET THAT FACT THAT PUNISHMENT IC DOES NOT TRANSLATE TO OOC PUNISHMENT!

Edited by Vash Baldeus
  • Upvote 1
5 hours ago, Vash Baldeus said:

With all honesty I'd read this message I wrote which summarizes the end result of IC jail sentence:

@Yoak please give this a read, even if the time when you are in-game is moving faster on your sentence, for example, do you really think that IRL time of lets say 45 days which is 1,080 hours is fair to a person who has work, wife, kids and other responsibilities? This is a game, the IC jail or prison sentence should not be an OOC punishment, this is not an Admin-Jail punishment! Even if time goes faster by being online, do you really think it moves 300% or higher faster than being offline, even if the time moves 300% faster while being online, that still remains 15 days, which 360 hours to remain in game. So, out of a sentence that I gave as an example of 45 days that you suggest 10% of the sentence to be mandatory to be served in-game you want the player to sit 4.5 days in-game, which is 108 hours, if we do the math, lets say 2 hours a day? that's 54 days that the person will be stuck in prison / jail if he comes on for 2 hours a day 7 days a week straight.

WE ARE PLAYING A GAME, NOT REAL LIFE. PEOPLE SEEM TO FORGET THAT FACT THAT PUNISHMENT IC DOES NOT TRANSLATE TO OOC PUNISHMENT!

It's not an OOC punishment, it is an IC punishment. An OOC punishment would be a ban, but this is clearly not that case.

The problem with your approach is that it creates a near complete lack of fear that permeates the rest of the server's criminal environment. Getting arrested doesn't mean much because all you have to do is wait a little bit, use a different character, etcetera. I'll pull the this is a heavy roleplay server card and say that if you do not like your character to be in prison, then perhaps criminal roleplay is not for you. Don't want to be in jail? Then don't get caught, or be more careful.

If it is made mandatory to roleplay out 10-50% of the sentence, then the jail would see a lot more activity, and it would also be a more fun place to roleplay in, both as inmate and as correctional officer.

• Upvote 1
25 minutes ago, mj2002 said:

It's not an OOC punishment, it is an IC punishment. An OOC punishment would be a ban, but this is clearly not that case.

The problem with your approach is that it creates a near complete lack of fear that permeates the rest of the server's criminal environment. Getting arrested doesn't mean much because all you have to do is wait a little bit, use a different character, etcetera. I'll pull the this is a heavy roleplay server card and say that if you do not like your character to be in prison, then perhaps criminal roleplay is not for you. Don't want to be in jail? Then don't get caught, or be more careful.

If it is made mandatory to roleplay out 10-50% of the sentence, then the jail would see a lot more activity, and it would also be a more fun place to roleplay in, both as inmate and as correctional officer.

as someone who rps in prison and has had a few prison chars in the past that RP primarily in prison due to a life sentence, I garuntee u none of us want this. Ive been in a lot of discords with inmate rpers from different facs and they don't want this either. People RPing in prison should WANT to rp in prison. The solutions are already planned: Prison updates such as smuggling, prison phones, ect.

No, some guy who went to prison for evading in a sports car will not make prison a more fun place to rp. Maybe for correctional officers, but im sure most of them would agree they'd prefer to RP with people who actually want to and not people who are forced to do it. Being forced to do time ingame in prison will just create passive solo RPing or AFKing, which prison rpers and SD dont benefit from. I kind of understand the fact it would make people be more cautious (even though I disagree) , but if you pretend this will help prison rpers you are very wrong, it will do the opposite if anything.

9 minutes ago, Shekh said:

as someone who rps in prison and has had a few prison chars in the past that RP primarily in prison due to a life sentence, I garuntee u none of us want this. Ive been in a lot of discords with inmate rpers from different facs and they don't want this either. People RPing in prison should WANT to rp in prison. The solutions are already planned: Prison updates such as smuggling, prison phones, ect.

I can completely agree with these solutions being planned. Bring them on, these are very much supported by most players, I can tell.

But I take issue with what you said before that. If you do not want to roleplay in prison, then either do not roleplay a criminal, or don't have the character act so recklessly or aggressive that they get caught and jailed. Your character's actions have consequences, and your character should deal with them.

The problem with criminal characters being allowed to avoid their sentences like this, is that it makes crime rather meaningless in its effect on other players and their characters. It is way too normalized to the extent that it has no impact for the players involved. This reduces fun for everyone. You can see the result of this in the player reports section, you'll notice a trend there where characters act so recklessly on such a consistent basis that it is meaningless to everyone's stories. 

You pointed out another problem about passive solo RPing and AFKing. AFKing is not allowed, so bring in an admin when you see it happen. Passive solo RPing sucks, I completely agree. Jailed characters should be given plenty of opportunities to interact with each other, with prison guards, with other prison staff, visitors, lawyers, etcetera. No arguments from me there, I think we're on the same page there. However, I don't agree with the assertion that forced time spent in jail will not lead to more activity, it is simply inevitable. This concept should go along with improvements that have been suggested here and before, not by itself.

• MomoIsHere changed the title to Force a % of prison sentence to be IC [G]
  • mj2002 locked this topic