State of San Andreas - State of driving - Public Barometer

State of San Andreas Driving - Public opinion survey  

304 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Imagine if we had IV handling. I’d like it if we had more realistic driving habits. It’s gotten to a point where reckless driving is the standard, people are genuinely offended OOCly when you enforce IC traffic laws. The consequences for reckless driving are irrelevant for a lot of people, I once stopped a person with his 17th count of reckless driving and couldn’t care less. People will also drive around recklessly with guns and drugs in their cars, leading to a traffic stop, and often leading to arrests. But it’s never their fault, it’s my fault because I have the audacity of pulling them over after they overtake me on the incorrect lane doing 100mph while I’m yielding at an intersection. 

• Upvote 6
  • Applaud 2

The other day I saw 3-4 of these tuned up mallrat vehicles race through the city in a convoy, playing that little shitty game where you have to follow the vehicle in front to the best of your ability and the vehicle up front has to try his hardest to make the route difficult and shake the followers off. They were speeding through the city going over sidewalks and doing the most unrealistic crazy shit ever. They were going so fast shit doesn't load in for them so they literally slammed into us and they themselves weren't impacted by the collision because we didn't even appear on their screens yet. I don't know how y'all want to take shit like this IC, this a breach of common courtesy, its a breach of realistic portrayal and these people need to start getting ajailed and having their vehicles taken from them.

There are plenty of legal race tracks and options to race on the server now without having to blatantly be a nuisance to everyone around you.

• Upvote 5
1 hour ago, eTaylor said:

Imagine if we had IV handling. I’d like it if we had more realistic driving habits. It’s gotten to a point where reckless driving is the standard, people are genuinely offended OOCly when you enforce IC traffic laws. The consequences for reckless driving are irrelevant for a lot of people, I once stopped a person with his 17th count of reckless driving and couldn’t care less. People will also drive around recklessly with guns and drugs in their cars, leading to a traffic stop, and often leading to arrests. But it’s never their fault, it’s my fault because I have the audacity of pulling them over after they overtake me on the incorrect lane doing 100mph while I’m yielding at an intersection. 

Getting cussed out in /b and /pm is half the reason I ended up leaving SD's traffic unit. Basically got flamed every other traffic stop I made.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, eTaylor said:

Here's a list of common responses for when you pull someone for a minor traffic infraction:

• *Starts driving off and evades, turning an infraction into a felony*

Here's a list of common responses for when you pull someone over for going 110 miles per hour in downtown through intersections, and clipping a sidewalk:

• "Why don't you catch /REAL/ criminals?"
  • "..." (person doesn't respond to any roleplay because they refuse to roleplay)
  • *Shoots you*
  • *Also starts driving off and evades, often not roleplaying any vehicle crash and ending the situation up in a half an hour admin sit with the time of 12+ cops wasted.*
  • Their buddies will try to physically interject themselves between you and the driver you're trying to interact with.

I probably forgot some stereotypes. The average GTA:World driver is the most entitled, selfish and unhinged (in-character) individual out there.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Applaud 2
11 minutes ago, Jeroen said:

Here's a list of common responses for when you pull someone for a minor traffic infraction:

• *Starts driving off and evades, turning an infraction into a felony*

Here's a list of common responses for when you pull someone over for going 110 miles per hour in downtown through intersections, and clipping a sidewalk:

• "Why don't you catch /REAL/ criminals?"
  • "..." (person doesn't respond to any roleplay because they refuse to roleplay)
  • *Shoots you*
  • *Also starts driving off and evades, often not roleplaying any vehicle crash and ending the situation up in a half an hour admin sit with the time of 12+ cops wasted.*
  • Their buddies will try to physically interject themselves between you and the driver you're trying to interact with.

I probably forgot some stereotypes. The average GTA:World driver is the most entitled, selfish and unhinged (in-character) individual out there.

https://gyazo.com/10ec95d34787f17082f9fe6fedfe10dc

And like I said before, they do this in 700K cars.

Reading this thread I felt guilty because I'll be straight, I often don't really acknowledge intersections. This thread alone helps, I suppose at least for me it makes me realize people care about this and I'll pay more attention. For me, the roads have always been too empty for me to consider traffic roleplay but also, I've always been in a vehicle accident when I've been stopped. Somebody would run into the back, side or front of me and I thought I was the issue for slowing down or stopping.

I feel like any in-character punishment would have to be rather harsh, because the majority of the time law enforcement wont witness you driving wrecklessly so if it was a reasonable punishment it wouldn't be enough. It'd have to be harsh enough so that the low chance of it happening would be enough to deter you even taking the chance. But then it could risk overly punishing those who do it with a valid (in-character) reason as a one-off.

You could argue it's a roleplay quality issue, where is the person going? Is it important or time-sensitive, are they a legal character? It makes no sense for them to risk misdemeanors/felonies just to get there faster, it happens in reality sure but — it's incredibly uncommon.

Though I would say what @jromjeksin is referring to is just straight-up reportable, I can't imagine a scenario where somebody is crashing luxury cars (that are not stolen) simply to evade, though then you risk being called petty for making reports.

Edited by KaythPlus

Just today I tried to do a traffic stop for speeding in the city and it turned into a pursuit that lead us all the way into the backwater parts of the county. The driver had no warrants and nothing on his person or in the car. Players continue to choose felony and a day in prison over paying fines.

I'm tired, boss.

• Applaud 2

Just ban all the copbaiters instead of giving them a slap on the wrist. Its clear they're here to bait pursuits and nothing else. If they want to play cops n robbers, let them go to a cops n robbers server. Stop being polite, stop giving warnings, just ban them, watch how fast they get their shit together and stop treating the server like its GTA Online.

Another thing people need to do is start reporting these clowns. The only way people will get punished for doing this type of nonsense is if they get caught & reported. People need to stop treating reports as if you're some snowflake for reporting a rulebreaker. The report section is there for a reason.

Edited by PeopleKind
  • Upvote 3
12 hours ago, Helm said:

I think there's too much confusion about how intersections work.

It used to be every intersection with a light was treated as a four way stop. Now, it's kinda the same, but you don't have to stop, you can just... Roll through them "under 15 MPH."

However, in both of these situations, I don't think the majority of people are even OOCly aware that they do in fact need to respect the intersections, which leads to all those cars just flying through them, and not yielding to people who're already at the intersection. 

My concern with this is that this is an OOC issue. These rules are stated OOCly in the Penal Code, which most people don't read, because of the traffic light sync issues; which makes it difficult for LEOs to enforce ICly. I mean, we shouldn't have to go into /b on every traffic stop. I don't want to enforce OOC rules. I'm personally sick of it, especially some of the OOC arguments it's caused, and have thus stopped doing traffic stops for that infraction altogether. What makes this matter worse, is I'm pretty sure the traffic lights are mostly synced, and have been for years. I've literally seen newer players sit stopped at red lights for the entire cycle. So I think it's worth the risk to just start taking them ICly again.

Either way, fix the way the server handles intersections, and you'll fix the vast majority of people's problems with the driving.

they're treated as yields now, which ICly would be against the law if you go by the driving test since the test tells you to stop at every intersection. but OOCly, i don't really mind people treating intersections as yields and/or rolling thru them under 15 MPH instead of coming to a full stop, because tbh there's a shit ton of intersections in the game lol. i stop at every intersection but that's only because i'm really into the roleplay personally, but most people aren't gonna do that because they just use their cars as means to get to the roleplay. 

idk about the whole traffic light thing. not really a horrible idea, but i think that can introduce more problems than it fixes. people who drive recklessly are still going to drive recklessly, so the only people who will be punished are people who drove normally in the first place. then there's the question of how synced are the traffic lights actually? i can already see the OOC arguments over what color the light was, which will most likely lead to reports and admins having their time stretched even more lol. and no one wants to RP waiting in traffic, i'd just go drive irl during rush hour if i wanted that.

my stance is basically just i'm fine with people not stopping at intersections as long as they aren't blowing through them at 100 MPH. you want to cruise through an intersection at a reasonable speed? im cool wit that. 

3 hours ago, PeopleKind said:

Another thing people need to do is start reporting these clowns. The only way people will get punished for doing this type of nonsense is if they get caught & reported. People need to stop treating reports as if you're some snowflake for reporting a rulebreaker. The report section is there for a reason.

as much as i hate reporting people this is true lol