How do you even enjoy GTAW?

Jerm124

2 hours ago, Martyn said:

Its being made harder and harder to enjoy GTA:W, almost as if done on purpose.

Its definitely a challenge. The vague yet over complicated rules, the inconsistent admins, the unfair OOC faction politics, the general toxicity in the community that love to go out of their way to bully someone they don't like.....

Only reason I'm even still here is cuz, despite everything, I do have some good story threads going on, and I do have a friend group I play with consistently. Lately my hours have dropped cuz I owny own RP community which has recently spiked in activity and it's eating up my time, but GTAW does have it's appeals.

• Upvote 3
5 hours ago, Amellis said:

Just a few things you could do to get some RP

Pull over on the side of a busy road, /createscene something-something smoke coming out of the engine bay. Open the car's hood, do an anim checking it, and wait for someone to stop. Someone will soon enough.

Get a boombox and look for a station that plays guitar music, place the boombox on Legion Square, the Vespucci clothing store, outside the Little Seoul LTD, or smth like that and do one of the guitar anims. There, you have a performer. People will stop and interact with you.

Walk around busier areas, maybe stop someone and ask for directions. Make up a story or just get chatty about why you want to go to that place. Try to get the person's interest somehow and carry the conversation away from the "I need to be somewhere".

Stop to look and appreciate someone's car. Comment on it, and maybe take pictures. Mention your character's hobbies and say you wanna post those pictures in a car blog or whatever.

Try to get a protest going about something. Doesn't even have to be anything of your interest, but these things attract people.

Roleplay hitting something with your bicycle and falling in front of someone. It hurts... 😞 Not enough to call for an ambulance but just enough to thank that person for stopping and helping you up.

Some ideas you can grow into contacts or at least make yourself known a bit.

Fun fact. Without a guitar and a boom box, Medina wouldn't be the Baldest DJ in Los Santos... how it all started 

Edited by Welsh
  • Upvote 1

What helped me personally was join a business. I joined a trucking company in my first week here and got to earn a little bit of money, but most importantly, get to know the people from the company. That earned me friendships that I still have today. People that have also since moved on, but we keep in touch. 

Building a circle of people that you RP with regularly. People that you can chill with, laugh with etc. That's what's important, and there's lots of platforms to do that, that're universal to any RP route. I've for example also seen crim characters RP in that same trucking company that I had a normal chat with on occasion.

And what Amellis said, I've personally stopped for a handful of people that have always been kind and that I ran into afterwards and shared a laugh with.

• Upvote 2

Humans are social creatures and like everyone else here has said, you aren't going to get around the fact that the most enjoyable aspect of GTAW is the social aspect. For me personally that has always meant connecting my character to a business or faction, I did LEO roleplay for a number of years on SAMP/MTA and then GTAW, these days I stick to EMS. While LEO roleplay can be a ton of fun and you'll have a lot of opportunities to make connections with other players and create IC friendships for your character, it also comes with a lot of OOC baggage. I used to deal with admins on pretty much a daily basis as an LEO in some capacity, usually in instances where a player is unhappy with the outcome of a situation and is demanding one on the spot, often resulting in the scene being paused while the admin figures things out. Now I deal with them far less often, yes we still stumble upon paused scenes here and there, but because they seldom involve us directly, we are often allowed to excuse ourselves. As someone who spent years doing LEO roleplay near-exclusively, I find EMS to be a wonderful virtual retirement gig that offers me a lot of opportunities to make IC connections and to interact with a broad spectrum of different types of players (legal, illegal, etc) ICly in a non-hostile manner. I'm nobody's enemy.

That being said, for those who haven't tried LEO roleplay before, I encourage them to do so, they'll either love it and it will be like a whole new game, or they won't and they'll know to move on and try something else. Also important to note all of the LEO factions offer different flavors of the LEO experience, don't judge them all based on one experience.

Edited by TheSenate
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2024 at 8:56 PM, Astralsomnia said:

Its definitely a challenge. The vague yet over complicated rules, the inconsistent admins, the unfair OOC faction politics, the general toxicity in the community that love to go out of their way to bully someone they don't like.....

Only reason I'm even still here is cuz, despite everything, I do have some good story threads going on, and I do have a friend group I play with consistently. Lately my hours have dropped cuz I owny own RP community which has recently spiked in activity and it's eating up my time, but GTAW does have it's appeals.

maybe it's just me, but I don't see these issues much. The main problem for me sometimes is to find people to roleplay with outside of going to clups where 90% of the people just want to try and hit on you:

This, if the friends you usually hangout with aren't around that is.

Edited by Padex

Best advice anyone could give and was even told to me is to not chase rp. Make your own. Whether it's a side-hustle for your character or making their hobby revolve around them like crafts, clothing, deliveries. Even without connections, with time it'll eventually reach to the public. Another way to find rp and get to meet people is by working in businesses, since you can get along with co-workers or customers and without even realizing, you probably created friendships with other chars. The thing is about roleplay, and I'm speaking as someone who experienced a burnout due to the same reasons : over-thinking and trying so hard to figure out what to do to find roleplay. These are greatly exhausting and will 100% cause a burnout from the game.

• Upvote 2
  • 3 weeks later...

I used to encounter this same problem, and even joining factions with tons of members never fixed it. I would log on and move from bar to bar, and all the other public RP gatherings. I realized that if you want unique and interesting roleplay, you must first "advertise" your character OOCly (or ICly, if this is your char's nature). Make a character thread, and eventually you'll have people who want to RP with you ICly. People who share your same interests and love for your concept.

If you see an interesting character ICly, just go up and talk to them. Get their discord, and discuss the RP without metagaming. Even the greatest roleplayers who've led supermassive factions will tell you that every successful character/faction requires a bit of legwork OOCly to fine-tune the concepts. Message them when you're hopping online, and they'll probably do the same back. Then you can coordinate times to RP.

If your character's concept doesn't rely on being secretive, then advertise yourself ICly. Make use of the forums for IC advertisement (ads section, internet section, etc.) and the in-game /ads system. The use of FaceBrowser to promote your character's concept is also a good idea.

And finally, make sure to pick a concept that appeals to you OOCly, and that you can also find a lot of varied and long-lasting roleplay with. I love lawyer shit, but I also knew there's great potential with the concept for GTAW, so I made a lawyer character. The first month or so was barren, but after I began to establish my concept in-game, I would get so much roleplay that I didn't even have time for all of it.

Eventually, after doing this, you'll begin to make lasting connections ICly. You'll also gain friendships OOCly, which can be helpful when you navigate the server. It's also wise to befriend admins as well - they can help answer questions and make your overall experience smoother in GTAW.

But always remember - don't spend all your time OOC.

Edited by subway244
  • Upvote 1
  • Applaud 1