Enforce Stricter Rules on GTA:W Economy Conversion Rate or Get Rid of It

Description: For every one dollar irl, there are ten dollars on the server. By this standard, a 500 dollar food item that I am charged for from a local sandwich shop would be 50 dollars irl. This makes no sense whatsoever. Therefore, I believe we should do either one of two things: 

1.  The conversion rate should be enforced much more strictly across all businesses and organizations on the server. This includes salaries and wages. We should not be getting paid 50k/week to be an entry level city government employee, for instance. That's 5k/week in real life. Business owners and those who set salaries should inform themselves of the costs of products and services as well as the typical salaries for products and jobs in Los Angeles. Things will be more expensive in L.A. than the rest of the country. You will also get paid more in L.A. for the average job than the rest of the country. This is because the cost of living is astronomical. But paying someone what is essentially 5,000 dollars a week irl is not heavy rp. 
  2. Get rid of the conversion rate altogether. Instead, for every one dollar on the server, it is equivalent to one dollar irl. This seems much more intuitive. There would be no conversion needed. Someone could simply look up the price of a turkey sub in L.A. at a restaurant or shop that is equivalent to theirs in terms of status, popularity, etc., then set their prices accordingly. 

Benefits: This has a range of benefits. For one, it would mean that rp'ing finances would be much more straightforward. People would not be able to abuse the system because they wouldn't have the money to do so in the first place. They would be able to rp their character within their financial bracket instead of working as a police officer for three weeks, then magically being able to afford a sports car. Property management would also be able to easily tell if someone is financially qualified to own certain homes, lease certain properties, etc. simply based on the money in someone's bank account. Businesses would have very clear models on which to set prices for their products and services. Employee salaries and wages would also become much more standardized and realistic. 

Thank you for your time and consideration! 🌼

Edited by mochii
font and size change!
  • Upvote 2

Please no -1

Making the economy 1;1 realistic would just destroy any sense of progression and make the server grindy. Imagine if your idea becomes a reality, and now everyone makes $20/hr, just as example. It would take you absolutely forever to be able to afford anything. The server would become a grinding server. Even just a new car that cost 20k would require 1000 hours of work for someone to afford. And I dunno about you, but I don't want to work a virtual job for 1000 hours in order to earn enough money to buy a virtual car for my character.

Just leave the economy alone. Is the economy unrealistic? Yeah it is. But I feel like any attempt on trying to rework or fix it would just bring along way more problems than it would solve.

6 hours ago, ScarletRose said:

Please no -1

Making the economy 1;1 realistic would just destroy any sense of progression and make the server grindy. Imagine if your idea becomes a reality, and now everyone makes $20/hr, just as example. It would take you absolutely forever to be able to afford anything. The server would become a grinding server. Even just a new car that cost 20k would require 1000 hours of work for someone to afford. And I dunno about you, but I don't want to work a virtual job for 1000 hours in order to earn enough money to buy a virtual car for my character.

Just leave the economy alone. Is the economy unrealistic? Yeah it is. But I feel like any attempt on trying to rework or fix it would just bring along way more problems than it would solve.

My suggestion wouldn't mean getting rid of the lump sum of money you get when you start a new character to purchase a car or apartment.

8 hours ago, mochii said:

Description: For every one dollar irl, there are ten dollars on the server. By this standard, a 500 dollar food item that I am charged for from a local sandwich shop would be 50 dollars irl. This makes no sense whatsoever. Therefore, I believe we should do either one of two things: 

1.  The conversion rate should be enforced much more strictly across all businesses and organizations on the server. This includes salaries and wages. We should not be getting paid 50k/week to be an entry level city government employee, for instance. That's 5k/week in real life. Business owners and those who set salaries should inform themselves of the costs of products and services as well as the typical salaries for products and jobs in Los Angeles. Things will be more expensive in L.A. than the rest of the country. You will also get paid more in L.A. for the average job than the rest of the country. This is because the cost of living is astronomical. But paying someone what is essentially 5,000 dollars a week irl is not heavy rp. 
  2. Get rid of the conversion rate altogether. Instead, for every one dollar on the server, it is equivalent to one dollar irl. This seems much more intuitive. There would be no conversion needed. Someone could simply look up the price of a turkey sub in L.A. at a restaurant or shop that is equivalent to theirs in terms of status, popularity, etc., then set their prices accordingly. 

Benefits: This has a range of benefits. For one, it would mean that rp'ing finances would be much more straightforward. People would not be able to abuse the system because they wouldn't have the money to do so in the first place. They would be able to rp their character within their financial bracket instead of working as a police officer for three weeks, then magically being able to afford a sports car. Property management would also be able to easily tell if someone is financially qualified to own certain homes, lease certain properties, etc. simply based on the money in someone's bank account. Businesses would have very clear models on which to set prices for their products and services. Employee salaries and wages would also become much more standardized and realistic. 

Thank you for your time and consideration! 🌼

I also want to reiterate that there are two suggestions here. One being to more strictly enforce a conversion rate that is already in place. It's not my rule that I've magically come up with, it's the server's rule. But there aren't many people following it. 

honestly, fixing this to make sandwiches 100 dollars instead of 500 isn't a big impact for most characters. 90% of legal factions don't take the weekly pay IC either.

it's just too far gone at this point. it kinda sorta almost works, so, no real need to change it. 

I hate to break it for people wanting more realism, but many of us have regular real life jobs, which is more than enough for us. I for once don't really wanna rp sitting another 12 hours in the office, when I am doing that irl already. First and foremost, it is a game. Besides entry level gov employee is not 50, but 40K which is alright.

Edited by Engelbert