Enforce Stricter Rules on GTA:W Economy Conversion Rate or Get Rid of It

10 hours ago, mochii said:

Get rid of the conversion rate altogether

Important is to take in account that we have no binding to the irl dollar for our currency.

The irl dollar is NOT our gold standard.

What really defines values in our system are other hard-coded factors (car and apartment base prices, paychecks where scripted), as well as demand/supply.

RP servers always have been inflated since the san andreas days. It's just the nature of how everything works and while not perfect should stay the way it is unless Nervous wants to hire economists and restart the server economy which would be of no sense considering we have been on for approx 5 (?) years now.

On 8/5/2023 at 3:00 AM, Kari said:

honestly, fixing this to make sandwiches 100 dollars instead of 500 isn't a big impact for most characters. 90% of legal factions don't take the weekly pay IC either.

it's just too far gone at this point. it kinda sorta almost works, so, no real need to change it. 

I disagree that it works (obviously) because someone can have one food item in their normal restaurant that's 100 dollars in the server, then if i go to another place, the same food item is 500 dollars. there's a common argument of "it's too messed up, leave it be." But that's such a killer to progress. We might as well keep everything the way it is if we go down that rabbit hole.

All the same, thank you for your input! I appreciate it 🤗

On 8/5/2023 at 3:02 AM, Engelbert said:

I hate to break it for people wanting more realism, but many of us have regular real life jobs, which is more than enough for us. I for once don't really wanna rp sitting another 12 hours in the office, when I am doing that irl already. First and foremost, it is a game. Besides entry level gov employee is not 50, but 40K which is alright.

I have a regular, real life job as well. This is not about having anyone spend more time in game to clear enough money to buy things. This is about money only and the fact that people don't rp their wealth or lack thereof realistically. 

8 hours ago, Jennie said:

Do you know what happened to a big server I used to play on SAMP when they made it realistic? Yes, playerbase went downhill and closed.

This is a really broad comment. I think specific examples would be helpful related to the suggestion.

9 minutes ago, mochii said:

This is a really broad comment. I think specific examples would be helpful related to the suggestion.

Gameplay is sometimes more important than realism, realism tires players in certain aspects and many people don't want to spend 1 month to be able to afford a mediocre house, for those headaches we already have real life.

You can't rp the wealth realistically because this is a game, there are more aspects 0 realistic on the server, not everything can be brought from real life.

1 minute ago, mochii said:

people don't rp their wealth or lack thereof realistically

It's that tiny bit deeper than that: If you look around the server, you'll find that

2 hours ago, Jennie said:

You can't rp the wealth realistically because this is a game

Period.

The reasons for this are plenty, the bottom line is, the value of stuff differs from irl, and the LS-dollar is its very own special currency

This is not so much related to how people rp their wealth but to the simple fact we have our own nutshell economy and monetary values, opposed to try to keep everything tied to irl counterparts.

The best example is the comparison of our local minimum wage (4,000/hour) in relation with the amount of pure cocaine you can buy for this money (up to half an ounce).

Attempts to single out such "unrealistic" parts in our game design and "fix" them to have realistic values, or at least relations, is a bad idea as tweaking such values affects much more than just the single spotted out discrepancies, as the minimum-wage/drug example shows:

Obviously we could downgrade minimum wages to ensure junkies have to slave their ass off ic realistically to get their fix rp.

The first ones complaining however would be the dealers making less business.

Raising the drug price on the other hand would just as much have unwanted side effects: Characters with no regular income who rp taking drugs might be de facto unable to pursue this and be forced into labour.

While a realistic effect, in a nutshell simulation trying this is a bad idea, those who want such stories do it anyway (just so much for people not rping wealth, they do, because struggling, no matter on what level, is typically more interesting than just having it all anyway).

And this was but one example of many- irl, dealing in used cars is responsible for way less of the GDP than it is in Los Santos, where revenues of used car deals make up a major part of profits made by businesses and privateers.

And so on and so on.

tl;dr-

Don't fix what isn't broken and if suggesting tweaks to our economic setup, look it up in detail, take in account what a change might all affect and then again consider if this is really a useful suggestion to benefit the playing experience as a whole