Join Existing Factions

Ted

6 minutes ago, Chef said:

It also falls on IFM to do quality control and "flow" control for lack of a better term. Instead of allowing 4 different factions roleplaying the same thing, they need to nip it in the bud during the application process. Regardless of how "unique and great" it may be. 

I'm also so surprised at how unwilling to roleplay a subgroup some people are. If you're a compotent leader and you have a small group of people, why not reach out to a faction already roleplaying in the "style" you are looking for and seeing if there's an opportunity to be a part of a network. As an example, many of the Eurasian factions are part of one big collective network at large and lack a "structure" that forces you to bow to a leader and give 90% of your income as a tribute. Your group of Russians is no different than X's group of Russians who have been here 8 months before you. Talk to them. In 2020 less and less of these hierarchical organizations exist. 

... But it's hard to suck up your ego sometimes and join someone else. Everyone wants to be the big bad boss.

Sir I gotta wipe my face because you're spitting FACTS.

• Thanks 1

I think many people don't realize how large and independently active most factions are on this server. I think because of this it leads some people to believe that by joining an existing faction (Or in the case of Prison gangs, a greater faction structure) they will be forced to 100% conform to what the other members of the faction are RPing/doing, or that they might lose control of the idea that inspired them to do that type of faction roleplay in the first place. This is not the case.

We struggle with this a lot in the Yuzbashyan-Sevacherian Organization. I've heard so many people say "Wow! I love you guys RP, it's really cool. But it seems too OC for me" or "Wow! Your guys portrayal of a gang is great, I'd love to join but I want to do OC". It's frustrating because W/S Armenian Power is just one aspect of a much larger organization. Someone could create a fifty year old Armenian mobster running a small B & E crew from his business and they'd fit perfectly into the existing faction. Most of the time it seems players ideas for factions aren't rooted in actual organizations, but more so in the criminal actions they want to perform. If being Italian, or Armenian or a Sureno or a skinhead is just a backdrop for your character, why not join one of the EXISTING factions in those categories so you can enjoy a fully fleshed out world.

What it is:

"We want to be a crew Italian mobsters who run a prostitution ring!" checks faction forums "Nope, doesn't look like any of the existing Italian factions are doing prostitution ring! Let's start our own faction!"

What it should be:

"We want to be a crew of Italian Mobsters who run a prostitution ring." Checks Faction forums "So it looks like there's two existing Italian factions already, one in Vespucci and another in Vinewood, our best bet is to probably join one of those faction together so we can start the ring in an existing faction."

• Applaud 1

Before faction applications used to be closed for period of times to promote the joining of existing factions instead of creating new ones. I think this should be brought back and there should be a period of a few months where new faction applications are simply closed

• Upvote 3
24 minutes ago, Chef said:

It also falls on IFM to do quality control and "flow" control for lack of a better term. Instead of allowing 4 different factions roleplaying the same thing, they need to nip it in the bud during the application process. Regardless of how "unique and great" it may be.

This. This. This. I'm not sure why there are so many similar factions to begin with, especially when it's encouraged to join existing factions.

38 minutes ago, Chef said:

I'm also so surprised at how unwilling to roleplay a subgroup some people are. If you're a compotent leader and you have a small group of people, why not reach out to a faction already roleplaying in the "style" you are looking for and seeing if there's an opportunity to be a part of a network. As an example, many of the Eurasian factions are part of one big collective network at large and lack a "structure" that forces you to bow to a leader and give 90% of your income as a tribute. Your group of Russians is no different than X's group of Russians who have been here 8 months before you. Talk to them. In 2020 less and less of these hierarchical organizations exist. 

... But it's hard to suck up your ego sometimes and join someone else. Everyone wants to be the big bad boss.

Precisely this.

54 minutes ago, Chef said:

Someone's dropping the ball.

Edited by Camacho
56 minutes ago, shiroq said:

Before faction applications used to be closed for period of times to promote the joining of existing factions instead of creating new ones. I think this should be brought back and there should be a period of a few months where new faction applications are simply closed

To further expand on this idea of going through periods of closing new faction applications, this is a good suggestion from the perspective of law enforcement factions as they’ll be given a chance to build up meaningful interactions, relationships and cases with and against illegal groups. An often overlooked part of policing is living alongside and understanding how to manage street gangs and the likes. Slowing down the relentless churning out of new illegal factions with give them the chance to do this and actually build up some cases and investigations.

Edited by Brox

Talked about this with friends yesterday and completely, 100% support. It might push people to create more unique factions that haven't been done rather than creating just an off-shoot of an already existing faction.

Chef is spot on. 

And for corporations(legal rp) as well, you nowadays see some new things that appear for a week and then it dies out, or is done poorly. I know independence is wow, maybe one corporation doesn't have the values you intend on showing, but you make your way up and you can surely be allowed to help and your point of view will be taken into account.

Edited by Chuck Lee
1 hour ago, Equitise said:

Also, factions need to start sorting shit out between their members rather than running to the forums anytime anything bad happens between two factions or two members. It's dumb and just creates out of character beef between them. It should honestly be a requirement to try sort shit out in game before running off to the forums.

100%. There was an issue recently between some Mongols members and another faction. Rather than taking it to the forums and starting a massive issue, faction leaders from both got together, talked it out on Discord and sorted it without issue. Even ended the convo with a bunch of heart emoji's, There needs to mediation channel for factions to talk to one another about OOC issues. For example, Mongols created an OOC Liaison channel on our Discord where we can talk with factions to ensure there is no OOC beef if things get confused in game.

OT: I agree, factions are popping up a ton recently. Mongols were in a weird spot because we started when there were only 3 other MC's. But now a new one pops up daily. Same with other faction types. I think new factions should be disallowed for a few months, allowing time for the current factions to grow (or die).