Why is LCN RP so stigmatized?

subway244
Message added by goddessoflife,

Hello, will your post on this discussion be one of the following stated below?

Trollish, ai generated text, random pictures and comments that do not contribute to the discussion.

Then please do not post. Are you going to post anyway? You'll be content moderated without any questions asked.

Thanks Morrigan.

It would be nice to understand what would be accepted by IFM as LCN presence again?

With all the respect I have for IFM and the server's administration, I disagree with any administrative attempt to limit what players can do when it does not infringe on others. This remains a game, after all. 

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, FatherHay said:

godfather.png?width=1202&height=676

*Real screenshot of my Conti Mafia Family RP

In all seriousness, I feel like we're on a server where death rates are higher daily, than in some Russian conscript units in Ukraine and arguably, some of the factions are better armed than said units too. So some of the realism arguments fall a lil' flat. If RPQM did more, we could probably live with a lot less restrictions - because guys outside a coffee shop, laughing like Paulie Walnuts, is far less realism-shattering than seeing cars 4 deep skipping around, until a scene from the fall of Kabul breaks out in downtown LA. If we really want to talk realism, the National Guard would've been called in months ago, and the cops'd be going door to door in search of the FBI's 300 most wanted.

There's concepts that're still allowed to this day, which I won't name for the sake of avoiding faction-bashing, which have a long history of being blatantly destructive for the wider RP community. And yet have been allowed several reformations and continuations, despite history repeating itself.

It's funny you say that because certain aspects of the Conti - MCF wars/conflicts were more unrealistic than gang bangers rolling around 4 deep shooting shit up.  It's a game where you expect people to do dumb shit, especially in the heat of the moment, if they die they get to hit a respawn button or PayPal to buy an NC but I don't think the unwillingness to accept LCN as a concept relates to the point you're trying to make. The point is for the average roleplayer, an LCN faction is hard to roleplay around, it fucks with the underworld ecosystem of the server, more than a random shoot-out in Davis or whatever example that was used here to justify LCN as a concept. You can work around random shootouts in Davis, they're gangs, they fight. You can't work around a faction with no prison influence collecting taxes from other factions because they sell guns or drugs, it's not realistic, yet it can be seen as IC and nothing can be done because it was developed IC, this is just one example, I can go though hundreds. 

The only reason it fucks with the ecosystem of the server is because of people not wanting to be mickey mouse clubhouse, Conti and MCF wouldn't have been as big as they were without the power they had, that's a fact, all the other examples we've seen of LCN without that power has died within 1/2 months.

To your last point, any concept like this should also be disbanded, fuck them they deserve the same treatment, but how does allowing a dead concept help with this issue, it'd just make a bad situation worse.

to add, I have no ill will against Conti or mcf, I'm cool with key roleplayers from both sides and most of them were good roleplayers, they would have just been better with modernized concepts.

Edited by el capo
18 minutes ago, el capo said:

they would have just been better with modernized concepts.

I disagree.

18 minutes ago, el capo said:

The only reason it fucks with the ecosystem of the server is because of people not wanting to be mickey mouse clubhouse

It doesn't really "fuck" with the ecosystem, it's just that the LCN system is so effective when done right. I have no problem with the power Conti/Martorano had, and anybody that does is probably jealous. Instead of bickering about wanting to destroy LCN, it should instead serve as incentive for non-LCN RP'ers to step up their game if what they truly desire is IC power.

Sorry to break it to you, but there's a reason Cosa Nostra has existed since the 1870s IRL and despite losing a lot of its power from the RICO era, continues to be a formidable presence in the world of organized crime. If you'd like to replicate the power it wields for yourself, make the effort to do so.

The only thing that any "LCN" ever does, now adays, is money laundering through business and real-estate, and sports-betting. They're so low-profile with their work, now, that they don't even engage in narcotics sales or hits, anymore.

• Upvote 1
27 minutes ago, subway244 said:

I disagree.

It doesn't really "fuck" with the ecosystem, it's just that the LCN system is so effective when done right. I have no problem with the power Conti/Martorano had, and anybody that does is probably jealous. Instead of bickering about wanting to destroy LCN, it should instead serve as incentive for non-LCN RP'ers to step up their game if what they truly desire is IC power.

Sorry to break it to you, but there's a reason Cosa Nostra has existed since the 1870s IRL and despite losing a lot of its power from the RICO era, continues to be a formidable presence in the world of organized crime. If you'd like to replicate the power it wields for yourself, make the effort to do so.

LCN isn't a formidable power in shit lol you're just an LCN fanboy, the mob was ignored before the RICO era, they got obliterated during that era when the alphabet boys stepped in only to be ignored again because of terror, nobody is or will ever outsmart the US when it comes to taxes, you don't pay enough taxes when you're a criminal because you can't tax dirty money and if you're making as much as you want us to believe the LCN does they'd already be locked up.

If you knew the characters I had in MCF or Conti you'd realize that this isn't about power or jealousy you're missing just my point, you'd pay to have any of the characters I had in either faction. This has nothing to do with stepping anyone's game up an LCN faction shouldn't have the same influence that la eme or AB has, the same way a KUMI faction shouldn't have too much influence in prison, it's not about jealousy it's about realism or at least being as realistic as you can, this is a roleplay server after all. I feel like I'm saying the same shit over and over again, end of the day, nobody's gonna change your mind about LCN rp, you love it you want to do it, and any argument brought forward as to why it doesn't fit wouldn't make sense to you so I digress.

Edited by el capo
  • Upvote 1

LCN is an amazingly fun concept when it’s done right. 

However, people ruin it for others when concepts that should’ve been put to rest are continuously attempted to be revived. Especially by people who’s characters were insignificant to the faction they’re trying to revive. 

Let sleeping dogs lie. 

• Upvote 7

I spent a decent amount of time in both official LCN facs on this server, a few months in Conti and a much longer duration in Marto going on to be in the leadership there for a time and im a bang average rp'er if im honest ... The stigma of LCN facs  and sopranos and fedoras and all that silly bollocks existed then, we was aware of it, but I always felt like both facs generally done their best to uphold a good standard of portrayal whilst also recognising we're all playing a game and trying to have some fun with the concept.

Sometimes stuff would fall through the cracks, someone would need to be reigned in or, warned or whatever, people with good portrayal would generally see advancement quicker and that helped regulate a bit in itself., I was probs guilty of letting people be loose with it and let people do whatever, but we had some good knowledgeable people to balance it out.

And we had our fun, and i dont think we should be gatekeeping the concept from others - that said I can understand some intervention from time to time to make sure the concept is done right and the server standard is upheld and all that, but this goes for all concepts right?

But reading through this thread, christ almighty, arguments about the mob presence on the west coast and all this, its actually crazy to see people talk with such passion about like the mob irl and how we portray it in roleplay?  Like what on earth are people up to, its a bit of RP you nutters....  And sorry subway cause i've spoke to you a few times and always thought you came across as a nice polite dude, but i'm not sure if ive ever met someone who should leave a concept alone more, this shit is weird bro. 

• Upvote 6
9 minutes ago, Palma said:

And sorry subway cause i've spoke to you a few times and always thought you came across as a nice polite dude, but i'm not sure if ive ever met someone who should leave a concept alone more, this shit is weird bro. 

Both myself and a few other people I speak to on the regular almost exclusively RP LCN, or OCG factions at the very least. It's just what we've grown accustomed to roleplaying, what we've always done together and what we still want to do. I don't see how it's any different than the way gang RPers stick together and do similar concepts over and over.

LCN is a broad-reaching concept with many different facets and avenues to RP. I'm speaking from the perspective that the entire genre shouldn't be generalized and lambasted by such a small minority.

We're all here to enjoy ourselves roleplaying man, but from my experience with you back in our fac, your vision and portrayal could fall short of what others expected to be the acceptable server standard at times and the server is at the end of the day a shared space and you gotta try and do your thing without lowering the standard of others.   

Its not just you, and we've all done some whacky shit from time to time, but you do half bring the spotlight on yourself a lot mate... If this concept is absolutely what you have to do with zero cooldown time - than at least keep ya head down, have a char thread and focus on your rp, not the views and sentiment of the community - might be after a time your thread is in a good place and IFM will have something to judge you and the possibility of an unofficial fac on - but this whole thing is just a bit much man, not healthy really

• Upvote 3