Character uniqueness

Halloween

35 minutes ago, Cindy said:

What the fuck is wrong with having a character that uses text to speech? How about judge them based on there actual character and how they RP. Unique characters are great so long as they are not played for a joke and overtly trolling.

It's a roleplaying game, we are allowed be anything we want to be within reason, aka not an astronaut or the president. 

This is a pointless jab at people with unique ideas IMO.

The same reason why people have a negative disposition to it IRL. That, and when someone exits their bubble of living their grimy and violent LA criminal fantasy the last thing they can tolerate is a colorful quirky text-to-speech machine

6 hours ago, Kari said:

This is very true. A more common thing for me to come across is people who RP the death rate IC. Roughly half of cops take every death IC, and the other half only take CK's, or meaningful deaths IC. It creates an odd division where some people are shooting 6 people a day, and some, one every week or 3. Both are valid, it's just a divide.

In this case .. I'd honestly think most players who take the economy for what it is are just new. It's been stated before that 100 GTAW$ is roughly 10 USD. This means a single shift at a convenience store pays you around 500 USD. 

Regardless, it makes it all the more surprising and neat to see people who ignore some of the more unrealistic bits of the economy to offer a more grounded experience to those who interact with them. 

The "different reality" stuff is a headache in so many ways. County->City distances, how people RP Federal and State agencies existing, etc. 

This is definitely a concern. One could argue that the lack of enforcement from a continuity team is one of the reasons here. Many of these alternate realities and experiences have been around for years and have not really been properly addressed, and if they have been, then not sufficiently communicated. However, that only assumes that making determinations like this, enforcing any of them, or trying to reduce the amount of alternate realities through other means, does actually effectively resolve any of the problems. Of that, I am not really sure.

While to the masses Carl Medina and his "Baldest DJ of Los Santos" brand, might just seem like another generic wannabe celebrity, for those who know him, all his current traits have been developed from what happened in his initial backstory and then everything that has happened in Los Santos since. 

E.g. his tattoos are where they are, and what they are for a specific reason

Edited by Welsh
9 minutes ago, Welsh said:

While to the masses Carl Medina and his "Baldest DJ of Los Santos" brand, might just seem like another generic wannabe celebrity, for those who know him, all his current traits have been developed from what happened in his initial backstory and then everything that has happened in Los Santos since. 

E.g. his tattoos are where they are, and what they are for a specific reason

woah that's some serious development right there

tattoos?? nice, dude! respect!

• Upvote 2
  • Applaud 1
9 hours ago, Cindy said:

What the fuck is wrong with having a character that uses text to speech? How about judge them based on there actual character and how they RP. Unique characters are great so long as they are not played for a joke and overtly trolling.

It's a roleplaying game, we are allowed be anything we want to be within reason, aka not an astronaut or the president. 

This is a pointless jab at people with unique ideas IMO.

Now think of this, but then change the scenario to of a coffeeshop. Where there is a long line of people waiting to order their drinks and the cashier is someone who uses text-to-speech to take orders.

I have no problem with ppl trying that sort of rp (i.e. text of speech / disabilities) ,  but like I said in my original post. You arent going to hire someone as a cashier that needs to use text to speech to take orders. 🤷‍♀️ but hey thats my opinion.

Edited by From Naha to Hawaii
  • Upvote 1
5 hours ago, From Naha to Hawaii said:

Now think of this, but then change the scenario to of a coffeeshop. Where there is a long line of people waiting to order their drinks and the cashier is someone who uses text-to-speech to take orders.

I have no problem with ppl trying that sort of rp (i.e. text of speech / disabilities) ,  but like I said in my original post. You arent going to hire someone as a cashier that needs to use text to speech to take orders. 🤷‍♀️ but hey thats my opinion.

That's some OOC Disablism if I ever heard it.

I live in a world with disabled creatures. They are called humans, heard about them?

Everyone is a judge, because they can, but mostly because we all have something to hide. 

That's literally the only reason we are pointing at others. So the person in the mirror nods approvingly at us as we nod at them.

Which is why I keep all my char's features and traits hidden, unless they are visible on first sight. Nobody needs to know, you are bi-polar, unless you want people to know it. But if you do, then your portrayal is wrong.

Edited by Engelbert
  • Upvote 1
On 3/19/2023 at 6:20 PM, From Naha to Hawaii said:

I observed a person speaking through a text-to-speech phone working behind the counter of a juice shop

I've encountered two people doing this now. I want to die inside.

The whole point of making your character mute, to me, is to impose a restriction on them and create a hurdle that they must learn to surpass as part of their character development. If you're just gonna type "(TTS) Hello" instead of adopting a notepad, or having a friend with you who speaks sign language with you who can translate to those who don't, you create a character that has essentially no development. At that point, you might ask yourself, why even do it? I attribute it akin to something like having a character who is blind but now has robot eyes that allow them to see. Why even have them be blind at that point? It's no longer a unique story point, it's now just a "rule of cool" visual change. They're trying to be unique just to be unique, rather than being unique for the consequences, setbacks and the story that drives.

I'm basically venting into the void because nobody's listening, but people should really stop picking disabilities and immediately fixing them in the same breath. It creates a stale, uninspired character that blends into the crowd of mallrats already on the server. Let your character's shortcomings and their struggle to deal with them be their selling point, not how they've immediately conquered them.

• Upvote 2