Modify Rule 9 to include suicide as disgusting RP.

Roleplay in game should be allowed in my opinion. I think that a lot of the issues we see around this topic come from a smaller minority of the playerbase who don't really care about actual development and they should be dealt with. I know a lot of people who put a ton of effort into their characters and try to roleplay uniquely with mental problems, I don't really want to restrict that. I generally try to leave people with as much freedom in their character development as possible, unless it is things like we already have banned where there are absolutely no positives from allowing it.

These posting as "parents" and stuff on facebrowser should be dealt with. As far as I know it already would be considered a rulebreak and I know there have been instances in the past of issues with people roleplaying around their own characters death/using facebrowser that were dealt with. I'm not sure how bad the platform is now as I don't use it but if its as bad as people say then the platform needs some more enforcing.

I don't think it's suitable for rule9 in all honesty, I don't view it as disgusting rp. It's just cheap and overdone. It's simply no longer being interesting for anyone who has to deal with this shit. It's very rarely well thought out and mostly over idiotic shit that makes no sense.

A few examples of typical suicide rp; usually over friends or partners not being online for a few days, being fired from their job, not having a certain asset, money etc. I've literally seen people calling 911 threatening suicide if they don't get a vehicle or place to stay.

Granted it may be subjective for different characters but there needs to be a baseline for what is and isn't acceptable. I would perhaps add clarifications to the power gaming rules instead, because that's what best suits it imo as it comes down to portrayal most of the time.

I don't see why it should be changed to disgusting RP IMO. If anything, it can bring light to a serious issue in today's society. I'm a firm believer that hiding away from controversial topics doesn't get rid of them, they're still there. While I understand some individuals may have IRL trauma from incidents like this and I truly do sympathize, this is a game about life. They're doing it to their own character. Sometimes we have to let it happen. 

• Applaud 1

Hello All.

I would like to address a few topics that are far more concerning.

We sit here, on GTA:W, slapping red tapes everywhere we feel like because people might not want to deal with it.

From my point of view, the concern here is players taking a game to the heart and believing that because they do not want to be part of it, that such roleplay should be banned or restricted. This is a roleplaying game. This is a game where you are meant to know where IC and OOC stands. If you are affected by things as minor as these OOC then you probably should re-think whether or not you want to play a roleplay server.

We are subject to these scenes IRL every day and it doesnt mean everyone will suicide over it. Watching the news every day you get in contact with these and you probably just disregard it or you dont care enough to even make it be a huge deal.

There are many steps you can take if you cant cop with certain roleplaying scenarios before thinking about administrative attention. If on FB you spot something you dont like or that makes you feel on edge, then simply block that person and you wont be seeing any of it.

If a character trails this path IC you can simply just steer away from interacting with them if it is such a huge deal.

I have seen cops and fd's replying here. All of them signed a fine print as to how their characters will be expected to roleplay scenes like these or far worse.

People feeling uncomfortable with something is subjective. If we were to ban everything that people take as "uncomfy", then we probably wouldnt be able to RP. Some might find suicide RP unacceptable. Maybe I find robbery RP unacceptable and that I shouldnt have to be subject to this, so next thing we are banning robbery roleplay.

The rules can be adjusted so players are able to remove themselves from scenes like these if they do not agree, but just restricting it to the fullest is over the top.

It is a roleplaying game. If you cant differentiate them, then you're playing this game wrong.

Some roleplays I do agree that must be restricted but not this one.

If people want to be attention seekers, that, to me, is simply an OOC matter. There is no reason for me to take it further than that.

It is the same as saying that everyone who plays warzone will be deployed somewhere and commit mass murder just because they play the game.

• Upvote 2
On 1/16/2023 at 12:13 PM, Sim said:

my character suffered enough trauma to contemplate ending his life, I'm gonna give him a decent end and create a scene about jumping off the rooftop to also give LEOs some rp!

sorry what's that? a random passerby in a supercar is pming me that they do not consent to watching me end my character's life? guess I gotta keep playing my character...

it's a good portion of the LEO's that don't wanna see it either. 💁‍♀️

we, at minimum, need a clause that allows you to remove yourself from suicide rp scenes under the same clause as other rule 9 issues. image.thumb.png.00c247f2ac5deecf2f15febb773f8f37.png

Edited by Kari
4 minutes ago, Acid said:

I have seen cops and fd's replying here. All of them signed a fine print as to how their characters will be expected to roleplay scenes like these or far worse.

where lol 
certainly isn't in my manual.

atop this, the attitude of 'if these things bother you, you shouldn't play' is a wildly concerning attitude, especially for a staff member. hope u grow out of that because it's just exclusionary. 

people who don't want to see drug use don't rp around drug addicts.
people who don't want to see strippers don't go to strip clubs
people who don't want to respond to a suicide scene cop a neglect of duty charge and get fired(?) 

just offer the same protections as other consent-based scenes under rule 9. I don't wanna get fucked up for not wanting to deal with Brianna_Sims4character's tragic suicide because her lesbian girlfriend ditched her for fucking 7 other women when she went on a 2 day hiatus from the server. 

I also don't wanna deal with any DEVELOPED character's suicide. Frankly, it's not a theme i signed up for, there was nothing in the pre-employment post, or the MPP that says I will have to deal with mentally taxing scenes or face a felony charge. 

Edited by Kari
12 minutes ago, Kari said:

where lol 
certainly isn't in my manual.

atop this, the attitude of 'if these things bother you, you shouldn't play' is a wildly concerning attitude, especially for a staff member. hope u grow out of that because it's just exclusionary. 

people who don't want to see drug use don't rp around drug addicts.
people who don't want to see strippers don't go to strip clubs
people who don't want to respond to a suicide scene cop a neglect of duty charge and get fired(?) 

just offer the same protections as other consent-based scenes under rule 9. I don't wanna get fucked up for not wanting to deal with Brianna_Sims4character's tragic suicide because her lesbian girlfriend ditched her for fucking 7 other women when she went on a 2 day hiatus from the server. 

I also don't wanna deal with any DEVELOPED character's suicide. Frankly, it's not a theme i signed up for, there was nothing in the pre-employment post, or the MPP that says I will have to deal with mentally taxing scenes or face a felony charge. 

You dont have to go off the roof because of my status as a staff member. It is my opinion and I stand to it. Revisit the application on any SD or PD process and you will find the fine print.

People who dont want to roleplay with drugs, will stay away from it.

Someone who is not fine with roleplaying around someone who is not right in the head can also steer away from interacting with them.

Clearly you have not read my response and you are just nitpicking and trying to argue something that is a concern to me. Again, the rule could be rewritten to allow players removing themselves from a scene just like rule 19.

As much as you are entitled as a player to have your opinion and disgust of somethig, I am also entitled as a staff and member of the community to have my own.

If you cannot accept my opinion or deal with it, you shouldnt be trying to reflect that attitude on me or restrain me from sharing what my beliefs are.

Edited by Acid

"(( OUT OF CHARACTER
Candidates must ensure they meet the following out of character requirements:

• 15 hours of playtime on any character on their User Control Panel.
  • No administrative punishment within the last two months of application posting.
  • A forum name in the format of "Firstname Lastname" (e.g., "John Doe").
  • May only possess one forum account on the sheriff’s department website. Individuals who have more than one forum account must apply with their main forum account (the first one they ever made on the LSSD website). If you do not have access to your account, contact Personnel Administration Bureau Command for help with recovery.
  • A fluent understanding of the English language, both in text and in voice.
  • The ability to accurately portray and develop a realistic character.
  • The possession of any double faction permissions, if applicable.
  • The use of original characters and their attributes, that are not recycled from previous servers and/or communities.
  • The use of truthful, accurate, and thorough answers in their application. ))"

these are the OOC requirements of the LSSD, and from my research, I cannot find any other disclaimer in the application process. I implore you to try, it doesn't require any roles or permissions to click through. 

I did read your response, I quoted a specific sentence of it that is false. I'm not disgusted by people who choose to partake in roleplay I wouldn't. I'm confused at the notion that people who don't want to partake in suicideRP have no place in this community. It's exclusionary.

I again implore you to provide where in the LSSD's public hiring FAQ's, or OOC information, they state that you have to deal with suicide RP. 

I think broad statements of 'dont wanna see/be exposed to this? leave the community' are very damaging. This attitude was present when RapeRP was around, and that was changed, so people full well have the right to attempt to change other, presumed as offensive roleplay themes. They certainly shouldn't remove themselves from a server or hobby due to finding discomfort in one specific theme, nor be belittled for being sensitive to said theme. 

Anyways, we both agree here: and that is largely the concession I see as most reasonable.
1 minute ago, Acid said:

Again, the rule could be rewritten to allow players removing themselves from a scene just like rule 19.