Stop with the ridiculous depreciation of vehicles, especially modified ones

CaffeineHigh

Title

It bothers myself and hundreds of other players that vehicle prices depreciate the millisecond you buy one, and vehicle modifications are never taken into account.

If someone buys a vehicle with registration for $42K, modifies it for $25K and only gets it up to 25 Miles and tries to sell it, it will not be sold for $67K or equivalent. It will be sold for way under the unregistered price, of $30K. Doesn't matter if you make it into a drag car that can reach Mach 1, with modifications costing thousands of dollars.

"Sorry, the car costs $30K on the market, so... I'll give you $17,500 for it."

If someone made such a ridiculous offer in real life, you'd spit that person in their face and walk off. Why does GTA:W have this ridiculous of a depreciation culture?

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

Because the vast majority of car's are simply RP'd as 'fully tuned with aftermarket security upgrades!', there's literally no benefit to me paying well over dealership price for a used car with some bolt on upgrades when I can buy a brand new one for a slightly more, spend the money to modify it how I want and now I've got a car with zero mileage, no upcoming expensive maintenance & it fits my taste specifically.

There are a few scenarios in which I could justify spending more on a car than the dealership price, such as if one of the racing leagues decided to auction off one of their cars that has won a few events to raise money for a 'good' cause, but otherwise you will literally never convince me that asking $20,000 more than the cost of a BRAND NEW car is justifiable when the server doesn't suffer from supply issues as we would in real life.

Because car mods don’t matter. In fact it’s actually more rare to see a STOCK car than it is to see one fully modded. Also the fact every car bottoms out at 100 MPH? Hardly matters what mods you put in it. The server needs an entire overhaul of the vehicle system, before this “deprecation” issue is solved.

buy low sell high, the second hand market correlates to what you try to do with stocks minus the opportunity to use leverage to lose your entire soul to options trading

besides the fact that the car market on the server is so saturated that the only way you'll sell a car is if you sell it at such at atrocious loss that the second owner'd be confident 100% he'd make a solid profit if he bought it.

• Upvote 3

People take script money serious? Wait I know some do. (tip: You shouldn't, it means less than nothing (provided you've played long enough and have enough of it)

The entire economy is an utter joke, not just the used car market. The new car market is a joke just as well and the prices are based on nothing but a wet fart. The server has never cared about this whatsoever and it will likely never be fixed. The lease system for cars is highly arbitrary and utterly ridiculous considering there's no thought put in which cars are freely available and which aren't, other than the lack of attention development has put into looking at the full list and doing some research to at least implement what's available at prices that have a relatively realistic balance without being overly expensive so it limits RP opportunities (yes, for some RP, vehicles are very important)

• Upvote 3
1 hour ago, CaffeineHigh said:

Title

It bothers myself and hundreds of other players that vehicle prices depreciate the millisecond you buy one, and vehicle modifications are never taken into account.

If someone buys a vehicle with registration for $42K, modifies it for $25K and only gets it up to 25 Miles and tries to sell it, it will not be sold for $67K or equivalent. It will be sold for way under the unregistered price, of $30K. Doesn't matter if you make it into a drag car that can reach Mach 1, with modifications costing thousands of dollars.

"Sorry, the car costs $30K on the market, so... I'll give you $17,500 for it."

If someone made such a ridiculous offer in real life, you'd spit that person in their face and walk off. Why does GTA:W have this ridiculous of a depreciation culture?

It’s a simple problem and solution. The scrap price dictates the lowball offers. Long ago it used to be 50% of the car value but it was changed to 20% to facilitate more person-to-person transactions. Everyone knows you can only get 20% and so they are free to offer you dirt poor money for a vehicle regardless of what makes sense. 

tl;dr - Change the vscrap percentage back to something sensible and you won’t get such crappy offers when trying to sell a car. 

Edited by Chill
  • Upvote 1

So what differs between IRL where actual car dealers try to buy it at lower rates than it's worth to sell it for profit? Since when, IRL do cars become worth more than they were after miles are driven on them compared to their new prices? Unless they are that one of a kind unique never really seen car in pristine conditions? 

Besides that, no one tells you to sell your car for that low of a price, then just hold on to it till you get someone who does want it at a proper price.

It's convenient. Money is near meaningless in GTAW after a certain point, so people would rather pay for the convenience of buying a brand-new car and modding it from scratch than having to roleplay with a second-hand seller. If they are going to engage with the second-hand market, they expect the savings and convenience of not having to modify the vehicle themselves to be worth the hassle of actually roleplaying. 

It would be nice to see modifications be the exception, not the norm. Creating a demand for used vehicles with especially attuned engines or turbochargers could help to increase the value of second-hand vehicles and enrich the roleplay of everyone in the car scene; unfortunately every modification in GTAW has a linear progression and is easily attainable, so if you’re going to tune your engine you might as well max it out. Since anyone can just drive to their local garage and get their engine supercharged in five minutes or less, it’s just expected that a vehicle is modified.

• Wuhtah locked this topic