Force hospital time based on injuries

Blöp

Right now, getting injured has no consequences. Countless times I see people getting shot five times, being crashed in vehicles, and going through extreme treatments - just so they can leave the hospital after five minutes of roleplay. In my opinion, this is something that breaks the immersion and makes people careless about their injuries.

Question: would you support a system similar to the jail system which would make people stay and roleplay in hospitals after a serious accident? 

Description:
After a serious injury, hospital staff would have the option to determine how long you need to stay in the hospital. Obviously, we could treat this in a similar way as we treat jail sentences, so we wouldn’t actually lock up anybody in a hospital for weeks and months… but let’s say for a few hours or a day. Until this time period ends, the patient could only leave the hospital building with a hospital staff handling his/her discharge and manually deciding based on the injuries that hospital care is no longer needed.

Relevant commands:
/hospitalize [name] [injuries] – For hospital and LSFD members after transportation to “lock” someone in the hospital until the hospital staff can determine how long they need to stay with the next command.
/hospitaltime [name] [time in minutes] – For hospital staff to determine how long someone needs to stay in the hospital based on their injuries.
/discharge [name] [comments] – For hospital staff to discharge someone from the hospital before the time runs off.

How will it benefit the server:
Both legal and illegal players would take getting injured more seriously. Getting shot over a scene or crashing your car during a race would mean much more than “getting picked up by LSFD and walking out after a few minutes.” Also, hospital roleplay could be much richer with more people contributing. More roleplay scenarios, more people in the hospital, maybe even conflicts, etc.

have you ever stayed in hospital irl? it's fucking boring, you lay there doing fuck all for 24 hours of the day. do people seriously want to rp that??????? this is possibly one of the worst ideas i've ever heard

alongside that, 95% of the time when i go to hospital ig there is no hospital staff.

-1. wtf.

Edited by joshua
  • Upvote 3

Hi I’m one of the main supervisors and play like three roles in the Pillbox Hill Medical Center.

This is a horrible idea.

At the moment our hospital has a core active staff, but unfortunately it’s near to entirely NA/Aus based timezones for our medical staff, with a few EU doctors and a large Psych team. We just do not have the staff to run the hospital for patients for most times during the day, we have around 30 folks as of current, and that’s hard enough trying to deal with the LARGE influx of daily patients, let alone the handful who hang around.

Our ER is usually full 2-3 times a day depending on activity and we struggle to maintain that momentum with our current staff. If people were forced to spend their hours in the hospital, that’d burden us as Hospital staff far more than the player, because out of sheer guilt, we’d have to make their stay worthwhile.

We just do not have the staff to maintain that activity for all hours of the day, peak hours are a struggle already.

By all means, if you want to help the hospital, please do, our recruitment is always open, and even if you have zero medical knowledge, it does not matter, we have other positions and are dedicated to teaching people on how to make medical roleplay fun for everyone.

One of those ways is to NPC the more mind numbing wait times. i don’t think anyone wants to wait 2 hours for a CT scan. And to NPC long recovery periods. It’s more fun to be discharged with a care plan and medications than to wait two days for your leg to heal enough to walk out with crutches.

Edited by KinnyWynny
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

You don't get to rp with LSFD all the time, it might get NPC'd. Plus, no one's going to wait in a hospital room confied to themselves only most of the time, refer to what @KinnyWynny said above. The hospital staff is mainly NA/AU players, this would suck for EU players and possibly others who are ig between 1200 and 2100 hours. You simply can't compare the jail system to the hospital system, they are really different things. Custody Assistants usually set up events to keep the jail alive and there is continuous roleplay happening in the jail most of the time. You're expected to roleplay the aftermath of your injuries at all times, it is a roleplay quality issue. Keeping people locked up in a room ain't the way to go.

I am one of the physicians over at Pillbox and I would oppose this suggestion for a couple of reasons. 

• Turning the hospital into just another jail will incentivize people to avoid roleplaying with us out of a fear that they will be forcibly imprisoned.
    • I should also add this would probably harm LSFD as well, because this would pretty much turn them into the "cops" of this setup and people will also want to avoid calling them as well to avoid being dragged off to the hospital and imprisoned.
  • As KinnyWynny said, we do not have the staff to support caring for all the people who would be piling up across three floors all at once. The hospital already gets bogged down enough with massive patient influx, adding more players into the mix will only stretch out the few resources we already have and force everyone to wait even longer to see a doctor or interact with a nurse.

So basically, unless you're also planning to add 25 new active RNs who are planning to join the hospital and take care of these patients, this suggestion is not workable for the time being.

Edited by TheSenate