Rework the anti-theft system

Rhelli

43 minutes ago, Cypher99 said:

Let’s not make the standard of effort even lower than it already is. There’s plenty of auto theft already and this would just make anti-theft useless. Cars shouldn’t be easy to steal unless they are old or lack the technology. 

Then again, playing devils advocate, if your car is insured you get it back in a few hours. Big deal. File a police report. Call a friend or hope to get a taxi in the mean time. In any case, the system should not be made any easier than it already is for car theft. 

One compromise could be is to start the chop process in the script but put a sliding scale time limit on the anti-theft features and before the script outputs any car parts. Within the first 5 minutes of enabling the chop process in the script, someone can still shut the car off and use the tracker. The next 5 minutes, they can only shut the car off. Maybe after a short, random period of time after that in order to give them time to RP the car being chopped, the system will output the car parts.

I mean, if you for whatever reason want to do it, you can instal top of the line security systems on old(er) cars too. It's definitely possible.

3 minutes ago, St3fan[NL] said:

The distance depends on the level, you really cannot track from any place...

But I agree with a track timer. Ill add it sometime soon.

Thanks for the clarification, I didn't know that. How much of a cooldown are you thinking?

6 hours ago, Paenymion said:

As with house alarms, the vehicle anti-theft devices should be managed through security factions such as G6 or Bobcat.  If you notice your car stolen, you contact them and they track it down and work with police if/when they find it.  Should not be vigilante owners spamming engine cut off themselves.

No. Awful idea. If players of those factions aren't online then you're locked out of your own security system.

5 minutes ago, joshua said:

No. Awful idea. If players of those factions aren't online then you're locked out of your own security system.

Also we are not investigators. Plus if we had to then go and track down a vehicle and someone is driving it wtf are we supposed todo? We are not authorized to pursue them and we would end up breaking all the traffic laws if we did so.

Vehicle anti theft systems are installed by mechanics, not security companies. Leave us out of it.

If you're good at the minigame you won't even trigger the anti-theft. Always have a backup plan once that shit goes off, you'll find that cops and the owners take a lot more time to get to the car than it takes for you to just leave the area. I don't think this is necessary.

17 hours ago, St3fan[NL] said:

No idea 15-30 seconds I suppose, depending on the level.

• 1 - Short range tracking
  • 2 - Long range tracking
  • 3 - Long range tracking + Short range engine disabling
  • 4 - Long range tracking + Long range engine disabling

Adding even a few seconds seems off. I can open my Google Maps and get my approximate location within two seconds.

Live tracking is a thing in an semi accurate localisation.

Even WhatsApp has live tracking.

Living in a city like Los Santos should have sufficient pinging abilities within fractions of a second - not delay like we are in the middle of nowhere.

15 hours ago, Jain said:

If you're good at the minigame you won't even trigger the anti-theft. Always have a backup plan once that shit goes off, you'll find that cops and the owners take a lot more time to get to the car than it takes for you to just leave the area. I don't think this is necessary.

This post sums it - even if you yeet yourself down the stairs you won't be outside in time. 

The Police arrival on scenes depends on their patrol route and pure luck. Either they are there instantly or within a minute or two.

8 minutes ago, Invictus said:

Or make certain vehicles limited to 1 or 2 security levels. I don't think you'd see a 60s muscle car or big trucks with satellite tracking.

A vehicle like Neon (Porsche Taycan) should absolutely have the latest technology installed.

That's already a thing.

My burrito vans only have lvl 2 anti-theft.