Allow more text for attributes

Rhy Rhy

32 minutes ago, BINGBONGGHOST said:

Wouldn't mind a separate option for a more detailed /examine if that's what the suggestion is asking for.

Have your simple details in /examine so people wanting to know your height, race, features, etc can get that information easily while also having a separate command for a far more detailed description players can set without as much restrictions on how much you can type, everybody's happy.  

/purpleproseexamine

I feel that maybe punishing people because other people misuse /attributes isn't the right way to go about it.
One option that I feel everyone could agree on is to have /examine which would go over simple basics of a character (enough to fit their height, weight, basic features) and then another command, /characterdetails where people could write substantially more.
tl;dr - Have /examine that tells you basic details about a character (short and concise, mandatory) and /characterdetails (optional) where people are free to go in whatever length, depth and curve they want.

Edited by .George

I feel that maybe punishing people because other people misuse /attributes isn't the right way to go about it.

This. I get that there are a lot of shitters who misuse the attributes system, but that's not a problem created by how many characters they're allowed to have in it. That's just a misunderstanding and misuse of the system in entirety, and something that should be addressed in it's own way. Better rules regarding /attributes + an update to the script so that provides advice and/or examples of good and poor uses of the system will improve that aspect of it. Or George's later idea of splitting the mechanic up a little bit.

Then that leaves the only argument thus far against adding more characters is the desire not to read it all, but that's a personal problem and one that you are not required to do. If you think someone wrote too much in their attributes and you don't want to read it, don't. But I don't think it's any sort of justification opposing this change. 

However; there are often times when the current limit for the attributes system prevents someone from detailing what could/should be visible and the attributes system is used completely correctly in this process. You can argue paraphrasing but that can't always be done. I know my motorcycle club brothers know this annoyance of trying to describe your vest while also describe your character. Even limiting to the bare minimum sometimes leads you to cutting things from /attributes that should be there.

tl;dr — +1

1 hour ago, Inked said:

This. I get that there are a lot of shitters who misuse the attributes system, but that's not a problem created by how many characters they're allowed to have in it. That's just a misunderstanding and misuse of the system in entirety, and something that should be addressed in it's own way. Better rules regarding /attributes + an update to the script so that provides advice and/or examples of good and poor uses of the system will improve that aspect of it. Or George's later idea of splitting the mechanic up a little bit.

Then that leaves the only argument thus far against adding more characters is the desire not to read it all, but that's a personal problem and one that you are not required to do. If you think someone wrote too much in their attributes and you don't want to read it, don't. But I don't think it's any sort of justification opposing this change. 

However; there are often times when the current limit for the attributes system prevents someone from detailing what could/should be visible and the attributes system is used completely correctly in this process. You can argue paraphrasing but that can't always be done. I know my motorcycle club brothers know this annoyance of trying to describe your vest while also describe your character. Even limiting to the bare minimum sometimes leads you to cutting things from /attributes that should be there.

tl;dr — +1

Said it earlier and I'll say it again.

There is no description that both A: doesn't contain irrelevant/useless info, and B: doesn't fit in the text already allowed. It doesn't exist. I'll wait for an example. From anyone.

Edited by NickyW

Sometimes, you need space to add detailed tattoos, scars, GSWs etc... and it's needed.

I always take the following into consideration when it comes to attributes.

- Weight

- Height

- Ethnicity

- Body structure
- Accent

- Tone of voice
- Scent
- Minor details (scars etc...)
- Tattoos (descriptive at times)

It is hard to fit these details into an attribute, at times.

2 hours ago, DLimit said:

Sometimes, you need space to add detailed tattoos, scars, GSWs etc... and it's needed.

I always take the following into consideration when it comes to attributes.

- Weight

- Height

- Ethnicity

- Body structure
- Accent

- Tone of voice
- Scent
- Minor details (scars etc...)
- Tattoos (descriptive at times)

It is hard to fit these details into an attribute, at times.

jewelry, etc. fully agree.