Rule 6 - Removing under 16s

Coburn

• 1 month later...

Not sure if I should post here or make my own topic, but I have my own opinions for how the rule should be amended.

Personally, as long as the player is portraying them accurately, I think people should be allowed to play whatever they want and the restriction that you have to be part of a gang to play under 16 characters should be removed entirely.

GTA World's selling point is that the entire city is ran by players; from politicians, to cops and firefighters, to gangs and legal people just running a bar. It makes sense that kids would be part of that ecosystem. I'm not even just talking about gangs here, there are businesses aimed at minors (like arcades), politicians use kids all the time as tokens (Greta Thunberg), and we have an entire high school complete with teachers. Limiting children to gangs only is both unnecessarily restrictive and creates a meta issue where all players will know a character is involved in illegal activities.

I took a skim at the previous posts made in this thread, and I see a lot of valid points made by others.

-I think the minimum age should be bumped up to 14. This is both because we lack middle schools on the map, and because younger than that becomes impossible to pass off with the character editor.

-I do think all minor characters should have a legal guardian, and probably an actual player one at that. Free roam kids do exist (absent parents), but a vital part of roleplaying minors is their relationship with their parents (or uncle, or grandma, or foster).

-Not sure about LA, but in my state there's a curfew for minors past midnight, and bars do not allow in anyone under 21 past 9pm. Also, if you're out an about between 7:40a and 2:40p (aka, the times school is in session) you could find yourself picked up for truancy. This can all be voided if you had a good excuse (example, a work release).

All of the complaints of possible r19 violations, deeming all minor RP as cringe, or simply being uncomfortable with kids in a mature setting are all bunk in my opinion. Ban the pedos just like you would any other r19 breach, understand that kids ARE cringe and that's just part of reality (or, take it to RPQM if its really bad), and stop pretending like teens don't already see a ton of mature shit every day in high school alone. Either the complainers were incredibly sheltered growing up, or they simply forgot how they acted.

• Upvote 1

+1

Most people just make underage characters because somewhere around the time "The Wire" came out the whole gang rp shifted from the 90s style to the modern era. Suddenly all gangs wanted you to be indoctrinated at a young age. Suddenly gang rp was about corner-standing instead of hood-barbequeing. 

The problem? Most people are simply not capable of roleplaying a 13 year old realistically. In the end they just do it because their gangs demand it and then get on to roleplay tough i-dont-take-no-shit characters anyway.

Gang rp will be fine if the hangarounds are 16 - it will virtually change nothing in how they behave anyhow, just makes their behaviors more realistic. 

The alternative would be to treat 13 year old characters the "realistic" way. If they are caught with a crime they enter the "program" and are done. Getting handed over to child services = CK. 

EDIT: It's also as always ridiculous how the people who defend it come, yet again, with the realism-argument for gang recruitment. Nobody buys this argument, it has never led to an idea being chosen or not chosen so you might aswell let it die. It's always about realism up until the point it actually deminishes your fun instead of enhancing it - suddenly entertainment and fun should be prioritized over realism (e.g. prison sentences, length of procedures, etc.).

I want to see how many people from the gang roleplay sector start to accept "realism" arguments when the whole imprisonment system gets complicated. Investigative custody even before a jail sentence is spoken. No imprisonment before a judge saw your case, waiting times made "realistic". 

Edited by Coni
55 minutes ago, Coni said:

+1

Most people just make underage characters because somewhere around the time "The Wire" came out the whole gang rp shifted from the 90s style to the modern era. Suddenly all gangs wanted you to be indoctrinated at a young age. Suddenly gang rp was about corner-standing instead of hood-barbequeing. 

The problem? Most people are simply not capable of roleplaying a 13 year old realistically. In the end they just do it because their gangs demand it and then get on to roleplay tough i-dont-take-no-shit characters anyway.

Gang rp will be fine if the hangarounds are 16 - it will virtually change nothing in how they behave anyhow, just makes their behaviors more realistic. 

The alternative would be to treat 13 year old characters the "realistic" way. If they are caught with a crime they enter the "program" and are done. Getting handed over to child services = CK. 

EDIT: It's also as always ridiculous how the people who defend it come, yet again, with the realism-argument for gang recruitment. Nobody buys this argument, it has never led to an idea being chosen or not chosen so you might aswell let it die. It's always about realism up until the point it actually deminishes your fun instead of enhancing it - suddenly entertainment and fun should be prioritized over realism (e.g. prison sentences, length of procedures, etc.).

I want to see how many people from the gang roleplay sector start to accept "realism" arguments when the whole imprisonment system gets complicated. Investigative custody even before a jail sentence is spoken. No imprisonment before a judge saw your case, waiting times made "realistic". 

gta rp didnt exist when the wire came out brother