Change the official faction process; make it worth it:

Ronnie two poles

Touching back on this subject, I personally think that a faction becoming official is basically worthless and too short. Now, I know a lot of people are going to say this is a RP server and we don't need a reward system etc etc and other servers it took too long - but wasn't that a fun aspect of it for your hard work and effort? 

I think that factions should take a lot longer than a couple weeks to become official and get scripted in. Shows who is really earning of it, seems like anyone with a friend group can throw around a couple pre-calculated screenshots and wait a little bit, then boom - official. 

Maybe a more extensive process as suggested in the linked thread:

Unofficial Groups > Groups > Unofficial Factions > Factions > Mega Factions 

Just an example.

Why was it made like this to be so quick?

7 minutes ago, Florida said:

You don't get anything except moved to a new sub-forum and a faction chat which is useless due to Discord.

It just doesn't sound all that exciting to make a faction. I know we don't necessary need a "reward system" but imagine the creativity and concepts that could come if there happened to a motivating factor like a reward system. 

Just out of curiously, if it is worthless, why would it matter how long it to takes to get something that's not worth it anyway?

My thought is that I think people focus more on what their group is up to RP wise rather than what OOC title it has.

I might have misunderstood your point though.

Edited by EMC

I don't agree. And not because it lengthens the process or because it requires persistence, but to me, the "official" procedure looks more to be a "vetting" process more than it does a promotion. If I I'm putting myself in IFM's shoes here for a second, I'm trying to gauge a faction leader's perspective and intentions without upright restricting them from creating a faction. The transition from unofficial to official gives them more freedom to focus on their longevity and by prolonging the process what you'll have left is these supposed "undeserving and mediocre" factions acting as advocates for the server's standards. Whilst your suggestion is good in theory, it contradicts itself by arguably putting the "better factions" in a lesser position.

For this to work, there'd need to be a complete recall of factions and I can't see that happening any time soon. By overthinking a relatively straightforward action, is making it much more complex than it needs to be. A bad faction will remain a bad faction whether it's four weeks or four months and if there's no ground made in that time then that's ordinarily an indication of a bad faction and they won't make it beyond what I call "the border."

Edited by Chuckles
  • Upvote 1

They don't simply accept factions for posting a few screens. It's one month, minimum. My group's been around for almost six months, and we're still not official. 

IFM's decision on whether groups should become official, or not, are relative to the group, itself.

I like the current faction system which tends to be straightforward and easy on "official" factions and I like how it isn't that big of a deal outside of the perks. I dislike having a year-long process, politicking/drama, and jumping through a long list of hoops just to have 4-5 official factions at a time (how it was on LSRP). I think the current faction system is one of the things this server has done correctly and it'd be a bad decision to change it. The current system, in my opinion, promotes focusing on role play instead of concerning yourself with potential status and the bullshit surrounding it. Factions should have longevity because of their community and role play instead of the goal/reward of becoming official (and the official status carrying them thereafter).

I also disagree with your second post. An advanced/layered system would not inspire people to create more-original factions than there currently are. I don't believe any people concerned with unique concepts feel currently halted and would be more motivated if it suddenly became harder to be an "official" faction. If anything, it's the opposite.