The issues with the new nameplate system.

L I C E

30 minutes ago, Biscuit said:

As a developer, I need exact examples, exact situations and exact information, if a system is not working as intended, then it's considered a bug.

Or do I misunderstand the thread? Do you want the system disabled until it's improved or what's the point here?

That would be ideal, and it should be applied to almost everything imo.

56 minutes ago, Biscuit said:

As a developer, I need exact examples, exact situations and exact information, if a system is not working as intended, then it's considered a bug.

Or do I misunderstand the thread? Do you want the system disabled until it's improved or what's the point here?

They disabled the Group Chats without notice and its been a while since, without a word when we should expect it back if at all.

EDIT:

As much as I love the new feature as it forces people to recognize some before they approach or attack the person, a level of immersion added, but the system needs fine tuning in order to be properly working.

Edited by Vash Baldeus
  • Applaud 1

Little bit of fine tuning needs to be done, but the car situation doesn't seem too problematic in my opinion. This forces people to be more alert of what's in front of them and not rely on a name-tag system. It only provides further immersion in my opinion.

Before a feature is processed and released I feel like it needs a lot more testing before it's actually released to the public, as we keep having to restrict features that are absolutely amazing. Fair enough if we come across a few bugs but surely there's enough staff to jump on a test server and try out every single thing to balance out any errors with the features?

• Upvote 3

Testing a feature is not that simple as it sounds. Sure, you can test features but two things that may happen; bugs are not encountered in testing sessions on different machine and some bugs may slip past the Q&A sessions which can happen.

Which is why, like Biscuit, said you should try log a bug report and fill the reproduction steps. Speaking from experience btw.

System definitely needs tl be touched-up a bit because it can be pretty capricious about when to show names, but for the most part it's working as intended and is an absolute game changer in the best possible way. We just need to get used to playing with it.

Rather keep it as is than disable it and see no trace of it for months.

1 minute ago, Koko said:

System definitely needs tl be touched-up a bit because it can be pretty capricious about when to show names, but for the most part it's working as intended and is an absolute game changer in the best possible way. We just need to get used to playing with it.

Rather keep it as is than disable it and see no trace of it for months.

I agree, needs tweaking.

1 minute ago, thekillergreece said:

Testing a feature is not that simple as it sounds. Sure, you can test features but two things that may happen; bugs are not encountered in testing sessions on different machine and some bugs may slip past the Q&A sessions which can happen.

Which is why, like Biscuit, said you should try log a bug report and fill the reproduction steps. Speaking from experience btw.

The issue is that it needs a bit of tweaking to show things better, which does not really count as a bug.

44 minutes ago, Dos Santos said:

try out every single thing to balance out any errors with the features?

This is very difficult. Testing features on the test server sometimes isn't indicative of the load features will undergo while on live. For example, the offline SMS system worked perfectly on the test server, but then when presented with 700+ players it caused an unnecessary strain on the database. 

There's also the issue of edge cases that can't be accounted for. Unlike most software with an input/output, a lot of game features depend on how the players use them - you can't possibly account for every single thing a person might do with these features. You can throw people at it to try and test behaviour, but it won't cover everything.

• Developer

It's impossible to test every single edge case with a feature such as this one, you can't expect us to go around testing it with every single entity in the game. We were aware that it would block nametags if your line of sight was obstructed by another player even before releasing but being a resource-intensive task already as it is  (not for the server but your game clients), we didn’t want to push it further before getting some feedback first.

For the videos in the OP, you probably didn't get ran over because of missing nametags. In both cases I don't see anything blocking their line of sight to you so unless you have a video from their POV these videos don't add any value the way I see it.

I’m already working on a way to efficiently handle players behind other players, I’ll keep you posted.