Alias to Prevent MG

Procaine

Countering meta-gaming with more meta-gaming (because, applying some ooc deceive to trick players is nothing else)?

I'm not fully convinced.

If anything, change the mask system so you're not forced to wear an ic mask to cover your ooc nametag (which is what likely prevents Detectives from using these as they usually do not use facial covers).

Edited by knppel

What about if someone knows that you're a cop from a prior encounter? They realistically would probably be able to recognize you, but the nametag is forcing them to not. Regardless, can't you just report people who metagame that you're a cop?

Say I've seen John_Doe the detective before on multiple occasions. I would recognize them IC. Now they come as Jack_Black. I wouldn't recognize them OOC because I don't memorize hundreds of pixelated faces. I think the suggestion is flawed because you're trying to avoid metagame by an initiative that only deceives people that intend to metagame.

By doing that, you also confuse people who had no intention of metagaming and you have them roleplaying not knowing somebody they realistically would.

9 hours ago, Procaine said:

I'm constantly posted in pictures on the forums with my IC name which can easily be metagamed by others.

2E6207A1-69FA-408A-9BC5-1BB1BA39EC6F.jpeg.49f8bcaa2afaf07b24c381129a652006.jpeg
In all seriousness though this just isn’t a good idea and will bring much worse problems...I get the points you’re trying to make but this just ain’t it..just report the people who MG your name

Edited by ZaE

Yeah there might be an answer to metagaming detectives or something but I personally don't think that this is it. Detectives might just always kinda have that flaw? Or be one-trick ponies? Maybe just have to approach detective work different? I don't know, I don't have the answers but this suggestion doesn't seem like the answer. 

This is something that I also agree should be done. It would be a lot more fair for investigative RP if this option was available, hell - give this feature to anyone who's involved with a sort of investigative RP. Good suggestion, much needed! 

Also make sure it's RP'd right tho, your investigative char. changes their clothes, cuts their hair, wears hoodies etc etc. 

Because 

2 hours ago, sleek said:

Say I've seen John_Doe the detective before on multiple occasions. I would recognize them IC. Now they come as Jack_Black. I wouldn't recognize them OOC because I don't memorize hundreds of pixelated faces. I think the suggestion is flawed because you're trying to avoid metagame by an initiative that only deceives people that intend to metagame.

By doing that, you also confuse people who had no intention of metagaming and you have them roleplaying not knowing somebody they realistically would.

is semi right. 

Edited by Ronnie two poles
  • Wuhtah locked this topic