Too many Pawn Shops?

orca112

Hey there,

now this is a very subjective statement, but I feel as if there are a lot of pawn shops popping out the ground lately. Everytime I log it, it feels like I am seeing a new pawn shop that opened amongst the flood of advertisements. Vespucci, Davis, Mission Row, Burton, Hawick, Pillbox Hill...it feels like a plague rolling over the city the same way bubble tea stores and nail studios did IRL before collectively being shut down after the trend around it died out. And I am not too sure whether this is a good or bad thing. The competition can be a good thing - a lot of businesses, everyone fighting for customers and suppliers alike and the industry thriving with good prices and deals for either side interacting with the pawn shop. But on the other side, your character walks around town and sees a pawn shop on every other corner which makes them suspicious and think about why there is a 'goddamn pawn shop on every damn corner of this city'.

Frankly, I cannot explain why it feels there are that many pawn shops, even. Sure, it might be a lucrative business, but if 20 other people do the same, it is hard to make any profits out of it as a businessman. Plus I much rather would like to see unique concepts being picked up rather than yet another pawn shop or generic cafe/bar/club; Nieche areas or businesses that have not been seen or barely seen on the server before - furniture warehouse, electronics store, comic book shops, gift shops...businesses that main focus is to provide roleplay in first place and not a generic money printing machine.

It happens. The city will go through an influx of this with any business. For example, I was the only fast food shop opening at 2-3am consistently, kebab shop was always busy. Then along came Lil' Armenia kebab and opens at the same time. Why? They want a slice of my business and success. Then came along some others Vespucci Burger shot, Horny's, some Chinese place, all vying for the same customers at the same time, as a result we probably all got quieter.

Now here's the thing where it balances it's self, I have been consistent and worked through the periods of no customers. Lil' Armenia kebab did the same. The result? The others died off and we have regained our customers again and came out victorious! But give it a few months there will be others that come along and try to take our customers. I think the same thing will happen with the Pawn shops, the ones that stick at it will succeed and the others will die due to too many on the market. Next month there will be a sudden influx of another business. Someone will open something different and then other people will get the idea to open a similar business and the cycle repeats. Just how it be, I don't think it's a big problem it'll fix it's self over time. 

• Upvote 1

Currently there are the following pawn shops to my knowledge

• Pawn Crashers - Burton
  • Clinton Avenue Pawn - Downtown Vinewood
  • Vespucci Pawn - Vespucci Canals
  • Alamo Pawn - Alamo
  • Happy Shark - Chamberlain Hills
  • Bad Day Goods - Davis
  • Steals N Deals - Rancho
  • Buy N Sell Pawnshop - Misson Row

As you can see there is quite a spread of these stores being in all different neighbourhoods around the city which personally I find very realistic. Whilst I can understand there does appear to be an influx of new pawn stores this again in my opinion is only because the market not too long ago was cornered by Alamo Pawn and Bad Day Goods being the two most active stores.

If anymore pawn stores pop up then yes I'd agree that the saturation of the market would be kind of strange, but as it stands the spread of the stores being in different areas of the map is a good thing. 

4 hours ago, Late said:

It happens. The city will go through an influx of this with any business. For example, I was the only fast food shop opening at 2-3am consistently, kebab shop was always busy. Then along came Lil' Armenia kebab and opens at the same time. Why? They want a slice of my business and success. Then came along some others Vespucci Burger shot, Horny's, some Chinese place, all vying for the same customers at the same time, as a result we probably all got quieter.

Now here's the thing where it balances it's self, I have been consistent and worked through the periods of no customers. Lil' Armenia kebab did the same. The result? The others died off and we have regained our customers again and came out victorious! But give it a few months there will be others that come along and try to take our customers. I think the same thing will happen with the Pawn shops, the ones that stick at it will succeed and the others will die due to too many on the market. Next month there will be a sudden influx of another business. Someone will open something different and then other people will get the idea to open a similar business and the cycle repeats. Just how it be, I don't think it's a big problem it'll fix it's self over time. 

spot on. When i opened my spa and sauna it was the only one to ever exist on the server, now theres saunas in gyms and massage parlours popping up often. 

My village in Swedenistan has a population of 5000 people inside the village, and 5000 more living in rural areas around the village. The village itself has 6 kebab shops (all run by arabs). Supply & demand. On any given friday there must apparently be atleast 1000 people ordering kebab or pizza.

Don't worry about it. If anything it's realistic tendencies unfolding right in front of us.