Defining good roleplay

Phased
Message added by effion,

Please ensure you're having a civil discussion otherwise forum punishments will be issued. Don't post to troll, flame or derail the topic.

2 minutes ago, two tone glock said:

but writing out four 250 character paragraphs for each tire isn't interesting to anybody. if you can't make the more boring aspects of life fun through rp what's the point?

Also this - if I were playing an introvert that didn't want to talk to strangers, nothing would be gained from them racking out a 300 character /me to install an alarm.

Lemme put it this way. It does not matter how many characters they use.  Doing a single me during scripted business roleplay is poor portrayal. It's literally in the rules. It is simple, that way a single mechanic can handle dozens of cars in few minutes racking up thousands of $$$. Which again is unrealistic and thus poor portrayal. Besides as soon as you order something or drive a car to a garage, or maybe even sit down in a tattoo parlor. It's them who leads the roleplay on the scene. When I was roleplaying a mechanic many many years ago. Someone rolled in with their car and after 3 minutes he asked if he can go finally. I said no. Why should you? It's unrealistic. And so they went afk, I am like okay, that works for me. I installed the turbo and changed rims at my own pace and with emotes I found most suitable. You are forgetting that it's them representing the quality of said session once you engage in such roleplay. I roleplay a tattoo artist now and of course I am not letting you out with the tattoo, without roleplay. Cause if that happens it's  me, not you, who will be punished.

Edited by Engelbert
On 3/1/2021 at 12:19 AM, Peezy said:

I've been on gta world for almost two years now, and one thing that bothers me is that most people talk the same way IC. There isn't much diversity when it comes to character dialogue, it's pretty common to see a African American character in Davis talking the same way as a Vinewood resident or a biker from the county.  The way they're talking isn't very appealing either, it's usually an atrocious amount of apostrophe's  and idiotic misusage of Ebonics & AAVE. 

I'm new and this intrigued me. Can someone give me tips on how they expect a gang banger in Davis to speak, without the flaws pointed out above?

15 minutes ago, Artise said:

I'm new and this intrigued me. Can someone give me tips on how they expect a gang banger in Davis to speak, without the flaws pointed out above?

Verbal tics help immensely. They can be a phrase the character likes to say, or a preference of phrasing. Cara says 'For sure' more than she should, usually when being sarcastic. Your character may prefer overly elaborate metaphors or comparisons, or they may even struggle to create metaphors.

Spice it up, give your character unique mannerisms that define them from the rest.

• Applaud 1

I'm one of those guys who writes simple and direct to the point /me's, always have been since RC:RP in 2010.  In my mind, having to write longer /me's to fit some kind of standard is similar to having a required word amount when answering a question.  You're just asking me to fill it with pointless shit when I've already gave you the necessary context and detail that it needs (think of the things you did to make your essay paper longer in school).  Most actions don't require more than a sentence worth of words to describe, such as getting out of a car or entering a business.  Even with roleplay that requires to be in depth, like mechanics, I would never go to the level of detail of:

* John Doe analyzes his workbench, glancing at all the sockets briefly before picking up the 12mm socket.  He snaps it onto the ratchet before laying down on the shop floor and crawling his way underneath the [vehicle name].  He looks around the underside of the [vehicle name] before locating the oil drain bolt.  He proceeds to place the socket onto the oil drain bolt before beginning to unscrew the bolt, slowly working it off the oil drain pan before doing it by hand for the last few turns, pulling the bolt away as the oils flies into the drain pan.

Some will see this as great descriptive roleplay and I'm not saying anything's wrong with going into detail like this if its what you like, I just believe that you can condense it down to...

* John Doe grabs the appropriate socket off the workbench, snapping it onto his ratchet before crawling underneath the [vehicle name].  He finds the oil drain bolt before proceeding to unscrew the bolt with his ratchet, using his hand to finish unscrewing the bolt before the oil flies into the drain pan.

...with no real loss to the detail.  All the extra bits are simply flavor text, nothing that adds to what needs to be known in said action.  Again, nothing is wrong with filling your actions with flavor text but some people can describe an action clear and direct with a single sentence without adding anything extra, you shouldn't ask them to add more detail just because you personally think it needs more detail.

6 hours ago, DasFroggy said:

Verbal tics help immensely. They can be a phrase the character likes to say, or a preference of phrasing. Cara says 'For sure' more than she should, usually when being sarcastic. Your character may prefer overly elaborate metaphors or comparisons, or they may even struggle to create metaphors.

Spice it up, give your character unique mannerisms that define them from the rest.

This, it's immensely underrated, it can be as simple as your character often using filler when talking, uh, eh, ah, bah, esch, anything really, example being "You eh, seen that new club? What's it called again?"

Of course you can go more in-depth, if your character has some superiority complex or is a "pseudo-intellectual" they might prefer using unnecessarily fancy or complicated words in some attempt to prove themselves smart. "That guy has got quite a vacuous way of doing things, does he not?" 

Speech does a lot for roleplay in my opinion, it's something most people really don't think about and some do out of habit, something small like having a character say "fuckin'" instead of "fucking," and it is something that can greatly help with immersion 

• Upvote 1

There are many things that is or can be defined as "good roleplay". Personally for me the biggest issue I run into is people that are unable to hold down a conversation. If you sit down with someone and after a few sentences you have to drag words out of them, I simply don't want to interact with them again, having simple conversations about the most random things that are simply part of everyones daily lives irl sometimes is rare to come by and people that are capable of creating/keeping a conversation going is much more valuable to me than someone who writes 250 characters to describe how their eyes blink.

16 hours ago, heat465 said:

I'm one of those guys who writes simple and direct to the point /me's, always have been since RC:RP in 2010.  In my mind, having to write longer /me's to fit some kind of standard is similar to having a required word amount when answering a question.  You're just asking me to fill it with pointless shit when I've already gave you the necessary context and detail that it needs (think of the things you did to make your essay paper longer in school).  Most actions don't require more than a sentence worth of words to describe, such as getting out of a car or entering a business.  Even with roleplay that requires to be in depth, like mechanics, I would never go to the level of detail of:

Some will see this as great descriptive roleplay and I'm not saying anything's wrong with going into detail like this if its what you like, I just believe that you can condense it down to...

...with no real loss to the detail.  All the extra bits are simply flavor text, nothing that adds to what needs to be known in said action.  Again, nothing is wrong with filling your actions with flavor text but some people can describe an action clear and direct with a single sentence without adding anything extra, you shouldn't ask them to add more detail just because you personally think it needs more detail.

It technically isn't as much about emotes and their wording as it is about time spent. This in particular goes to dreaded mechanics and roleplay where the point infact requires time. Which basically means, you can dish out plain single line emotes alright. But do it slowly when you are cleaning an engine or installing windows tints. No mechanic ever is able to do that in 5 minutes. Which is why people try to come up with descriptive emotes, cause I personally believe, if you wanna roleplay something, you should at least know how to describe the basics with your own words.

Edited by Engelbert
  • Wuhtah locked this topic