Property tax

Tempesto

Short description: Change the property tax to a monthly fee (as percentage of MP)

Detailed description: The current system allows you to purchase 2 properties for their MP. You either don't have to pay tax on them or you it's so little it's unnoticeable. After your third property, you have to pay an unrealistic amount of money to aquire said property while you still don't pay tax on it. That's highly unrealistic in two different ways - you should pay tax on your property and there's no one time payment of 50% the MP to just buy it.

What about having to pay a tax for each property you own while removing the limit of properties you own? This can be discussed, but it could be a percentage of the market price of the property - the lower the value, the higher the percentage. (i.e. 35k property, pay 50%? 17k a month, while for a 250k property, you pay 20%, so 50k).

This way, we'll add more funds to the government, thus economy, in a realistic way while also not having to unrealistically limit the number of properties one can own. Unless you're extremely rich or have a business that revolves around properties, like real estate or being a landlord (which generates profit that will, eventually, be lowered by this tax), you won't financially be able to own them, so that problem is fixed. We won't have people with 10 houses because paying 500k a month (or more, as said, to be decided) to just hold onto houses isn't possible.

Realism, quality of life, improves economy, leeway for businesses operating through and around properties, naturally regulates the number and type of properties a person can hold onto without needing an artificial limit.

Commands to add: Paying the tax just like you pay your car insurance?

Items to add: Nothing.

How would your suggestion improve the server? Realism, quality of life, improves economy, leeway for businesses operating through and around properties, naturally regulates the number and type of properties a person can hold onto without needing an artificial limit.

Additional information: The idea behind this is literally the same thing as for vehicles, but without a fixed percentage (under $X1, Y1%, between  $X2 and $X3, Y2% and such). Really easy, would fix a lot of things.

3 hours ago, Tempesto said:

This way, we'll add more funds to the government, thus economy, in a realistic way while also not having to unrealistically limit the number of properties one can own. Unless you're extremely rich or have a business that revolves around properties, like real estate or being a landlord (which generates profit that will, eventually, be lowered by this tax), you won't financially be able to own them, so that problem is fixed. We won't have people with 10 houses because paying 500k a month (or more, as said, to be decided) to just hold onto houses isn't possible.

Man....I was on board with it. And then I got right there. And now the intent of you making this suggestion actually comes out. To try and circumvent a rule in place so you can be a "realtor" or a "landlord" when there is a system in place for property management already.

Unsupported

4 hours ago, SaintBatemanofWallStreet said:

Man....I was on board with it. And then I got right there. And now the intent of you making this suggestion actually comes out. To try and circumvent a rule in place so you can be a "realtor" or a "landlord" when there is a system in place for property management already.

Unsupported

17 hours ago, SaintBatemanofWallStreet said:

Unsupported

That is not correct. There's already a way for people to be landlords or realtors but it's a highly unrealistic way. If you have the funds to, you overpay on 100 houses and then just own them, no tax (or, as pointed out, nothing regarding tax law which is a huge part of any economy that GTAW is almost completely lacking - it's like an undeveloped fetus).

My roleplay does not revolve around properties and this suggestion has nothing to do with me, personally. Even if it did, I don't see how my personal interest in a more fair and realistic system would make the suggestion bad. But again, I am and will not be involved in real estate. I am not attracted to this kind of roleplay.

Having, say, 5 properties and paying half a million dollars to buy a sixth small apartment in the South, then paying no taxes whatsoever on either of the 6 properties is not the way to go. And the system in place is not a realistic system. It does not, in any way, portray the way properties work in real life. Go buy 10 regular houses. You won't have to pay tens of millions of dollars and you will have to pay taxes. A lot of taxes.

Buying the properties for realistic prices and paying a realistic tax for each, thus limiting the number of properties you can afford, is the way to go. Why do it for cars and not for properties?

17 hours ago, mj2002 said:

When would this tax be paid? At the start of the month? Whenever its bought and then each 30 days after?

I'm thinking that it can work the same way the insurance system works for vehicles - a 30 day default or a custom amount of time, since we can't force everyone to log in in order to pay it in a specific time frame. Have a tab in /pinfo saying 'Days left until tax' and be able to extend it?

Edited by Tempesto
9 minutes ago, Jennie said:

Maybe they could remove the tax that the landlords have?  This tax was set so that users can't buy all the houses on the server, but it's absurd to keep this tax for landlords with the limit of two houses for a normal user.

I personally think that everyone should be taxed on their properties. You shouldn't be able to own a house you can't afford. If you can afford it, however, then awesome. If you can afford to pay taxes on 10 properties, awesome. Having it as a monthly tax will fix a lot of issues (it would be a natural limit on how many houses you can own, not one that's imposed on you, introduce new roleplay (tax evasion) and have a lot of other benefits and really no cons.

2 minutes ago, Tempesto said:

I personally think that everyone should be taxed on their properties. You shouldn't be able to own a house you can't afford. If you can afford it, however, then awesome. If you can afford to pay taxes on 10 properties, awesome. Having it as a monthly tax will fix a lot of issues (it would be a natural limit on how many houses you can own, not one that's imposed on you, introduce new roleplay (tax evasion) and have a lot of other benefits and really no cons.

Most of the houses are worth more than 100K, knowing the taxes that are put here on the server (like the one for vehicles) we can deduce that most, if not the whole server except a few users, couldn't afford the houses, because taxes It won't be 3k or 5k a month, it will be 50k for a 100k house.

And honestly, I already have too many OOC concerns with my taxes and other issues to have to spend more time farming on a server to maintain a house because they want 20 or even more for a 100k house.

28 minutes ago, Jennie said:

Most of the houses are worth more than 100K, knowing the taxes that are put here on the server (like the one for vehicles) we can deduce that most, if not the whole server except a few users, couldn't afford the houses, because taxes It won't be 3k or 5k a month, it will be 50k for a 100k house.

And honestly, I already have too many OOC concerns with my taxes and other issues to have to spend more time farming on a server to maintain a house because they want 20 or even more for a 100k house.

It's a system that's similar to the one used for vehicles and that system works wonders. If you can't afford to own a Pariah, you don't buy a Pariah. Same with houses. A 100k house shouldn't have a 50k tax but even if, the tax is paid monthly - as in, OOC month. Again, it's already happening for vehicles and it's way better and more realistic than having to pay $120,000 in order to buy a $35,000 property just because you already have three properties. That's not about affording as much as it is about realism.

Again, the percentages can be adjusted and should be variable - not a fixed percentage for all properties (50% of 35k is one thing, 50% of 500k is another).

• mj2002 locked this topic