Stopping the skip of RP in jewelry stores

adirthefirst

After running a public jewelry store the past week, a few cents on this:

-Distribution of items in the (public) shops that allow offer on-outfit details to match purchased items would be ideal for customer convenience and ic immersion as one could browse watches on the outfit while being assisted by a shopkeeper, as described by the OP.

-This can in theory be done ingame already, wether one owns an own /createitem biz to supply the fitting items or orders them from other jewelers with the needed equipment (aka /createitem) to sell on- I'm currently trying to set something up myself due to the frequent customer demand for more sophisticated products than simple no-brand-300-dollar watches and bracelets.

-The garage script is a terrible idea, as it blocks the chat window, effectively preventing roleplay between mechanic and customer during the time of item selection. Don't do this.

-Judging from my experience with roleplaying around watches and jewels, people are more than happy to drop an order (and even pay upfront- it's not a scam scheme, promise!) and wait for their customized items when it comes to such products, specially in the higher price range.

The ideal business model would thus be a public shop tended to by employees equipped with various items to sell spontanously that'd be in stock in the store, and the ability to take on custom orders through an own /createitem location (wether that's roleplayed as clockmaker's workshop, as jewel safe, as flagship store of a chain or as import/export warehouse does ultimately not touch the customer's rp experience)

-As with expensive couture in emotes and /attributes, it could be stated in the rules one has to own a watch item to wear a watch ic. Doesn't have to be sanctioned with bans for the obvious reason of it being pretty petty, but gives players an encouragement and admins leeway to further promote roleplaying fully around the item system.

As the OP also mentions, there's stuff that is simply not obvious, specially to the new player (And I was myself told by seasoned veterans here on my first day that I got "scammed" when Carry bought RayBans for 2,000 dollar, so it's not just us newbies).

21 hours ago, knppel said:

-The garage script is a terrible idea, as it blocks the chat window, effectively preventing roleplay between mechanic and customer during the time of item selection. Don't do this.

You can simply press F7 and use the chat while you're in the mod menu.

One of my better RP experiences was buying a watch as a gift. The store not only created it but also had a discord image for it. Being taken through options and seeing what they looked like was great fun, and so impressive to see how much effort they'd put in.

Giving him the scripted item and also sending him the discord photo felt so rewarding.

I like this idea. 🙂

• mj2002 locked this topic