IC Generosity on GTA:W.

yerro

I think players should understand what the other wants to RP from an OOC perspective. If I RP a rich character, and offer a gang member the chance to go away from that life, give them a good job, a place to stay out from the ghetto with all their needs covered, etc; It'd go against what the other player wants to RP. Same happens with a homeless rper. If you give him a place to stay, food clothes, a job... ICly the character should be happy, but it goes against what the player wants to RP.

On 10/18/2020 at 5:50 PM, .Wayne said:

I have a question hopefully someone can answer, but why don't we just make the money value similar to real life. Example: $1=$1, $200=$200, etc?

If we make a beer cost $5 instead of $100 bucks, a 100K apartment would cost 5K and it'd look stupid.

3 hours ago, Koala said:

If we make a beer cost $5 instead of $100 bucks, a 100K apartment would cost 5K and it'd look stupid.

Not to discard your opinion or anything, but let's resort to this here & check the info at the bottom. 🙂

//

As for the rest of the people commenting, I do not believe economy itself is an issue. Sure, there's always room for improvement, but the problem I was trying to tackle — or at least bring up — when creating the thread was how people roleplay their money.

On paper, it might seem like if your char is making an average of ~#k a year, they'd afford a certain share of benefits like a nice car & some leftover money. That being said, I'm simply trying to point out that IRL there's a lot more you'd be spending money on that's missing in the game.

I don't want these missing activities and expenses to be scripted. Hell no, that would make the server excruciatingly hard to roleplay on and pretty boring too. Timelines are always a complex matter and we speed them up or slow them down for our characters when needed. For example, it's normal to roll the time at regular speed roleplaying a stage of your character's life, then half a year bump them up by 5 years into the next stage of their life, with reshaped goals, level of income, views and so on.

All I'm trying to do is get more people exposed to the idea that IRL there are a lot more expenses that your character would have. Gadgets, clothes, indulging their habits (nearly any major hobby can theoretically be pretty expensive from gaming to airsoft), tourism to health expenses, mortgages, student loans and so on — not even beginning to broach the subject of long-term goals / dream goals that your character could potentially be saving up for.

Not saying everyone has to be a hardcore roleplayer either, but it also helps to acknowledge that there are people in the community that prefer that. Let's just acknowledge each other's existence and stop the mindset to "fix other people's characters". Simply put, if you see a homeless guy, please be aware that while random acts of kindness happen IRL, you're unlikely to take them to your place, give them cash equivalent to hundreds of dollars IRL on a whim, and so on.

Broken characters are fun. Let's not all embark on a mission to save and fix them.

Edited by yerro
45 minutes ago, yerro said:

All I'm trying to do is get more people exposed to the idea that IRL there are a lot more expenses that your character would have. Gadgets, clothes, indulging their habits (nearly any major hobby can theoretically be pretty expensive from gaming to airsoft), tourism to health expenses, mortgages, student loans and so on — not even beginning to broach the subject of long-term goals / dream goals that your character could potentially be saving up for.

I think the solution to this, broadly speaking, is to introduce more money sinks that don't negatively impact other characters and their roleplay (consequences of actions aside), but are still interesting or rewarding enough to pursue. Another consideration would be to avoid them all being 'rich people's toys', since we have a lot of those already.

3 minutes ago, mj2002 said:

I think the solution to this, broadly speaking, is to introduce more money sinks that don't negatively impact other characters and their roleplay (consequences of actions aside), but are still interesting or rewarding enough to pursue. Another consideration would be to avoid them all being 'rich people's toys', since we have a lot of those already.

Yeah, I agree with you — OOC money sinks can serve as good influences and reminders. I wouldn't want to have money completely removed off the server, even though it is completely abstracted, it still adds some scale of wealth in your head. As such, having something that actively drains your money (i.e. owning a rich car and having to pay a ton for insurance) is a positive way to offset excessive spending.

That being said, getting the community to be on the same page about certain issues can be just as productive. 🙂

Every aspect of human interaction is heightened in RP. We're more violent, more generous, more villanous, more heroic...

It's just something that repeats itself across the medium. Bad people are worse than the average RL person, good people are better. Definitely understand the point, but there's not much to be done about it.

• Upvote 1
56 minutes ago, Koko said:

Every aspect of human interaction is heightened in RP. We're more violent, more generous, more villanous, more heroic...

It's just something that repeats itself across the medium. Bad people are worse than the average RL person, good people are better. Definitely understand the point, but there's not much to be done about it.

Yup, that's a very good point. And even then, no one wants to have dull, boring encounters — we're here crafting stories, and naturally we want them to be exciting.

That being said, it's important to keep our characters in check, and again, that's the point I'm trying to make with this topic.

31 minutes ago, DLimit said:

I had experimented with being homeless, again. Within five minutes of my first pan-handling experience, I was provided with $2,000, two jobs, and a place of residence... rent free.

idk why people are offering a homeless man with no qualifications a job and home.

People complain about buying weed for 200 a gram since it's too expensive but will give random homeless people or players money, IC generosity is very selective. Most rpers are greedy when it comes to buying an actual product/service.