IC Generosity on GTA:W.

yerro

49 minutes ago, Pathway said:

idk why people are offering a homeless man with no qualifications a job and home.

It's really a shame, because to me it just shows a basic lack of understanding or empathy about another person's storytelling. Someone creates a homeless character because they want to explore the idea of being homeless. If they sort out your character's main predicament within the first day since they were created, you might as well delete it. Also, people fail to understand that most people who try those characters use them to fill up the world with some diversity.

... that and the fact that it negates initiatives like the Community Center in Little Seoul that offers meals and emergency shelter to the homeless.

It's funny, because most people will not approach some shady looking poor people in places like South Central in case they are dangerous, but they'll approach an obvious homeless person inviting them into their property.

Edited by Koko
Just now, Akiba said:

I must admit I have been over generous with things, though I'm not sure on what % I should tip someone like a bartender or taxi driver.

I don't have a specific formula in my head or anything, I tend to base it more on the OOC aspect (which is also questionable, I suppose). Essentially, I like to reward initiatives that aren't probably very sustainable business OOC, but add something IC (like a charming shop that has mostly IC items and will likely not see much regular business).

I also generally tip better for more engaging RP with service industry characters. There's definitely a heavy OOC element, but I do stand by it.

Just now, Koko said:

I don't have a specific formula in my head or anything, I tend to base it more on the OOC aspect (which is also questionable, I suppose). Essentially, I like to reward initiatives that aren't probably very sustainable business OOC, but add something IC (like a charming shop that has mostly IC items and will likely not see much regular business).

I also generally tip better for more engaging RP with service industry characters. There's definitely a heavy OOC element, but I do stand by it.

Yeah that's pretty much how I do it, if I've really enjoyed the interaction I'll tip more.

2 hours ago, DLimit said:

I had experimented with being homeless, again. Within five minutes of my first pan-handling experience, I was provided with $2,000, two jobs, and a place of residence... rent free.

That's when you take their offer and vanish in the morning with all their electronics.

#antisocialhomeless2k20

15 minutes ago, DLimit said:

That's the plan, haha.

If I'm a little serious for a second the best way to play a homeless character and avoid over-generosity is to come at people tilted and entitled to their cash to make them feel uneasy, just how they'd feel IRL in the same situation.

Pick people who look vulnerable walking on their own and block their path to ask, maybe get a little more demanding if it's obvious they've got cash but they're holding out, you never really want them to feel comfortable talking to you if you want a realistic experience. 

Luckily for me IC events have led to my character hating the majority so treating people with wealth like they're nothing feels natural for me but I could see the above "workaround" being a problem for someone who RPs someone recently down on their luck and not a hardcore crustie, it's really on the panhandling targets to not budge with their money and turn their nose up at the homeless though and that's something we can't really control unfortunately, that's on them.

Edited by BINGBONGGHOST
  • 1 month later...

At the end of the day, it all boils down to too much expendable income. People don't calculate their own IC needs, such as water, food, heating, rent, car servicing, insurance and taxes. There's no roadblock for such thing, because people don't want to RP that. And if such things were RPed often? Then shit, the $5,000 dollar paychecks wouldn't even seem that bad.

It's all because people have too much money to splash around, without icly considering their own character's needs.

And if it's a female character? Ha.

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2020 at 4:35 PM, DLimit said:

I had experimented with being homeless, again. Within five minutes of my first pan-handling experience, I was provided with $2,000, two jobs, and a place of residence... rent free.

I would treat that 2000$ as being 20 by saying "Thank you , this will cover tonights food expenses" etc, and if the donator keeps talking about "2000 for food per day" then just give him details on what kind of a donut you will buy for this. Another way would be to just do /do Can I RP that 2000 as 20?

If people offering you a rent free apartment then RP them as crazy people with mental illnesses.

14 hours ago, Tr1bal said:

Another way would be to just do /do Can I RP that 2000 as 20?

Really not a fan of RP'ing like this and I honestly don't think it should be allowed, I actually don't think it is...? 

Money should be taken as is, 2k is 2k and that amount of money in the universe we RP in is practically nothing, it's a break from panhandling for a day or two at most.

2k will get you some decent food, a couple beers, gas if you own a vehicle, new clothes and possibly some drugs if you have a character in that sector of RP, it's not loads in the grand scheme of things but what I'd consider a good haul as a homeless character, especially if you're playing a male but that's a whole other topic in itself though.

The place to stay rent free stuff is goofy though, I'd just accept their offer and be gone with their food and a couple fancy clothes in the morning. 

Edited by BINGBONGGHOST
  • Applaud 1