The problem with gang roleplayers in rich areas

VikoMKD

Just now, Queen said:

Yes, dumbing people down to caricatures like "typical lesbian RPer" or "typical gangbanger RPer" is much easier than actually discussing something. This thread was already off to a bad start with second hand anecdotal evidence in the OP and a somewhat antagonizing title. It's not an easy topic to get into when anyone who has a legitimate gripe gets lobbed in with people who complain just for the sake of complaining.

I said most, not all of them. I understand that some players have legitimate concerns and I stand with them when it comes to those concerns because I want to see both legal & illegal rp thrive, but unfortunately the players with legitimate concerns are being drowned out by players like the guy I was quoting with that reply, who simply want to down-talk anyone that doesn't do illegal rp the way they believe it should be done.

I thoroughly believe that nobody is being 'oocly targeted' as some players claim on this thread, and that gang presence in so called 'rich' areas is an IC issue.

1 hour ago, LaRazaBaby said:

Just stop, many people have brought up key points of HOW and WHY there's "gangbangers" in rich areas. Too be honest, take this shit in character and have it handled in character. This is just now na na boo boo crying and complaining what's right or wrong, everybody has their own opinions. Grow up, pick your nuts up and roleplay when it needs to be roleplayed. 

facts 

4 hours ago, xdthe said:

facts 

! I don't get why there's an active discussion about where the gang role-players roleplay lol. The entire point of omg there's tourism in these airs and CCTV Cameras really don't matter honestly. We have rappers such as FBG Duck getting killed inside one the most upper-class areas in chicago (As in it's like getting shot on 42nd street in NY, Which has also happened). The Argument that this thread is attempting to make is honestly terrible just for the simple fact that this entire situation can be dealt with IN CHARACTER. If you feel there are too many gang bangers in these areas then just do what's logical: Create some sort of Neighborhood Watch or just snitch on everybody lol

Venice Beach really isn't a 'rich' area beyond the waterfront. The streets to the east are middle class and modern gangs thrive in such neighborhoods. They don't purely exist in poverty. The kinds of gangs that are roleplayed on the waterfront (especially white gangs) are particularly middle class. Between Shoreline Crip, Graveyard Crip, Venice 13, Sotel 13 and the myriad white gangs the area Vespucci is based on has considerable gang violence.

The problem is that the geography doesn't translate correctly when transferred to a game map. Venice and Santa Monica are big areas, which is why there's a combination of 'nice' sections and those which are less so. On the map however, Vespucci isn't that big so of course the gang roleplayers are going to stand out a lot more than they do in real life.

I would suggest looking at somewhere further up the coast on the map if you want a truly 'nice' area with little crime.

Let people roleplay & have fun. It's always someone on this server complaining/reporting about what the next player is doing just so that he/she can be more comfortable in game. If a person wants to make a faction in Vespucci Canals, let them unless there is a surge of rulebreaking going on. Dangerous areas are built not pre-built on single player lore. 

• Thanks 1
On 9/26/2020 at 10:09 PM, VikoMKD said:

For this particular case I'm talking about the whole Vespucci area, I have a house in Vespucci that I'm renting out and ICly and OOCly I got notified that the tenants get constantly attacked by the mexican gang roleplaying around that Area

There's a ghettoish street in front of the beach gym by south Vespucci. I think that even in single player there's a gang in there.

10 minutes ago, Koala said:

There's a ghettoish street in front of the beach gym by south Vespucci. I think that even in single player there's a gang in there.

Yeah, the whole Vespucci Canals area is mapped to represent the not-so-nice areas in Venice. The Vagos spawn there in singleplayer, presumably representing Venice 13 or something. I'm really not sure why people consider the whole area to be 'nice' when it's pretty obvious even from the mapping that it isn't supposed to be.

19 minutes ago, Large Hazard said:

Yeah, the whole Vespucci Canals area is mapped to represent the not-so-nice areas in Venice. The Vagos spawn there in singleplayer, presumably representing Venice 13 or something. I'm really not sure why people consider the whole area to be 'nice' when it's pretty obvious even from the mapping that it isn't supposed to be.

That's only one part of Vespucci, and it's not the Canals. One very, very small part.

Apart from that one area, most of the residence properties are high value and high end.

4 minutes ago, Marksman said:

That's only one part of Vespucci, and it's not the Canals. One very, very small part.

Apart from that one area, most of the residence properties are high value and high end.

that doesnt change the fact that gang presence near/in the canals is a completely in character issue. gangs exist in all environments.

2 minutes ago, Marksman said:

My memory is that basically the whole half of the Vespucci area east of the gym to the marina is not particularly high end. Granted the areas to the north are nicer but I'm pretty sure that's also where you're less likely to find gang factions roleplaying.

My point was really that the entire area shouldn't be considered 'rich', and not that there isn't a part of it which is upscale.