The problem with gang roleplayers in rich areas

VikoMKD

On 9/28/2020 at 7:57 AM, ????????? said:

what are you even saying with this, genuine question not trying to be a dick but as a skater from socal irl(ik that sounds cringy af to say but tryna give a lil context into why this confuses me) this has to be the most confusing thing i've read in this topic so far

are you trying to say if someone can't 360 off an a-frame (theres no need to say all the extra shit around it its just confusing) people are gonna be judgemental and hostile toward them? because i highly doubt that, as long as they're not snaking people at the park (cutting them off and fucking up their lines) there's not likely to be any hostilities to someone who's learning to skate, even from 'locals' unless the kids learning are being obnoxious retards. the whole 'locals only culture' from my experience with it irl and even ig is purely based off respect over where someone's from or what they have, as long as someone's chill and has good vibes nobody tends to hassle them or usually does it in a friendly manner if the person's cool about it (i.e friendly banter/jokes and shit that most people would prolly find offensive if they didn't realize that it's not meant in a hostile way)

and wtf is guarding a ramp, do people actually do shit like that ig? if so, LMFAO at them and they deserve any of the hostility they get trying to snake mfs like that

-----

ontopic though;

I think a big part of why this has become such a problem is 1 thing that both sides do, it's a seperate thing for each side though:

1) Civilians/nonlocals that come by being disrespectful or not understanding how to carefully navigate a situation with a local whether or not the confrontation happens reasonably (i.e maybe the nonlocal does smth that bugs the local so they bark some nonsense at em, or in the less reasonable side of someone just coming up and starting shit for 0 reason at all other than to provoke somebody). A lot of legal rpers tend to have this macho fuck you I can't lose attitude (gang/criminal rpers have it just as much however and often confuse RP fear for RP NPCism (people are more dynamic than complying 100% 24/7 every single time) and the attitude often causes escalation

2) Gang/criminal RPers tend to take any chance they get in an encounter to jump for escalation so they can get into a fight beit fists or weapons instead of just blowing people off and not caring or deciding to settle things peacefully, in a LOT of cases that i've seen from other people or been involved in myself (I tend to have a lot more peaceful resolutions personally, as i know how to carry myself around those types due to growing up around that scene so its less my encounters and more other people's i see) and it's always the same thing with the types I'm talking about (it's not every gang rper don't get me wrong) but they'll come up, something happens, no matter who starts it, and they'll just immediately bee-line the confrontation into a violent conflict in some attempt to drive people away from ever coming back (which isn't good, people will never learn if you dont allow them to be involved, and then you just get more divided and more dumbass "UR A MALLRAT, NO UR A MALLRAT FUCK U U CLOWN" type arguments that lead nowhere but to more toxic bs that just hurts RP in general.

I think if legal RPers stop trying to be macho men all the time and learn how to take an L from time to time, or learn when not to try and go for a dub (because beating a gang members ass is the WRONG fucking move, if you have any common sense, you dont fuckin do that shit unless its a 1 on 1 fight where yall set it up to squash a problem and move on), and both sides be less trigger happy/pro-conflict and be a little more passive and allow their characters to have calmer heads (everyone rping some o-dogg wannabe isn't a good look, stop rping a "hot head" as an excuse to dm/fight bro its not unique) RP in general would improve. I commonly see people asking why there's never any booming community RP around gang areas, and it's because of stuff like this. People get shot/jumped/killed over the littlest shit in a lot of cases (it's often justified too, im not trying to argue that some people dont just fuckin ask for it, i've seen that too and laughed at people for it when they bitch) and it drives people away. n then you also get the types that are like "haha good drive them all out!!! xd" which is just part of the problem.

tl;dr

basically people need to stop being so confrontational and be a little more passive all around. gang members and legal rpers have the same problem in that regard. we as legal rpers tend to be more widely spread as "huhhuh im some macho man fuck all yall im tony montana mothafucka" and gang rpers just tend to have this OOC equivalent of them thinking they're the hardest mf on the server and will gun you down for disrespecting em or some shit. it's weird. focus on the roleplay, not the fighting. being trigger happy/fight happy isn't a good look, it's a sign of bad rp. be more willing to take an L, it's just roleplay on gta, your irl rep aint on the line and you're not some hardcore gangbanger you're just a nerd on a roleplay game, act like it ? idk who needs to hear that but listen to it if you do.

and before someone quotes me and says "i dont do that though so you're wrong bruh" if you don't do it, what I'm saying doesn't involve you, i there's hella good roleplayers on both sides of the spectrum, and we all get a bad name from the people doing a shit job at portraying people.

Let's take this into consideration, the amount of "Locals'' Who go around Davis LTD and all around hood/bad parts of Vespucci and talk crazy is fucking ridiculous, I know Gang members ain't super villians or no shit like that but come on now, Some "Locals" or people just visiting stroll in there with they cowboy boots and just be like Fuck them fuck everything they stand for you ain't got touch me I got a pf and a phone to call the police, That ain't how shit work, you walk through somewhere gang related 9/10 they gone get on your ass and ask you 1 where you from, 2 do you know somebody over there, 3 what is yo business being over here, in real life is you finna tell a 6'2 Swole ass nigga with a fucking Rich rolling in the middle of his neck "Fuck you man I do what I want" or "Minding my business" No you gone answer that nigga with respect to avoid to getting shot or robbed not act like you invincible since there is a crowded public beach around the corner  

46 minutes ago, Broomstick said:

Let's take this into consideration, the amount of "Locals'' Who go around Davis LTD and all around hood/bad parts of Vespucci and talk crazy is fucking ridiculous, I know Gang members ain't super villians or no shit like that but come on now, Some "Locals" or people just visiting stroll in there with they cowboy boots and just be like Fuck them fuck everything they stand for you ain't got touch me I got a pf and a phone to call the police, That ain't how shit work, you walk through somewhere gang related 9/10 they gone get on your ass and ask you 1 where you from, 2 do you know somebody over there, 3 what is yo business being over here, in real life is you finna tell a 6'2 Swole ass nigga with a fucking Rich rolling in the middle of his neck "Fuck you man I do what I want" or "Minding my business" No you gone answer that nigga with respect to avoid to getting shot or robbed not act like you invincible since there is a crowded public beach around the corner  

pretty much this lmao, i agree with you. i withnessed that in GBZ a lot with locals just acting hard and being idiots to all the wrong people in the gang and getting killed for it. i personally think a lot of gang members are a bit TOO aggressive sometimes (roleplaying a hothead is cool and all but u should be going out of ur way to avoid gunning someone down just cause they test u. a lot of people just dont know how to rp in that environment yet, killing them doesnt teach them) and especially in areas that they really have no business being in, but like everyone says that is still pretty much an IC issue even if it is kinda sketchy portrayal. and there is a huge ass double sided blade type situation at play too, because civilian rpers think they're hot shit and the second coming of frank castle the moment they get a PF and/or CCW. there's a lot of problems on both sides whether its bad rp or just plain ole headassery at play. lets not even talk about leo rpers 😂 people really gotta learn to be weary/scared of criminals and portray their own characters realistically before they expect a gang rper to do the same. ik in p much every encounter i've had with illegal rpers i rp some sense of fear, whether defending myself out of fear when backed into a corner and having no other choice, or being a pussy and trying to talk my way out of a situation as best i can and show respect, and the latter almost always works.

a lot of the issues stem from the ooc toxicity between civilian rpers and gang rpers tho IMO. mallrat this mallrat that bla bla and gang rpers treating civilian rpers like they're NPCs in a gta game and expecting them to hurl over the moment they encounter a gang rper, or civilian rpers just throwing every single gang member in the pile of idlerats that are o-dogg cosplayers and have no idea what they're doing when infact a lot of gang rpers are actually p decent/good rpers, just usually pretty toxic and aggressive oocly for no reason whatsoever. everybody acting hard when we're all a bunch of lame ass nerds playing a roleplaying server on GTA. none of us are hard no matter what we think. at the end of the day we're all here for the same reason, to rp and have fun. it gets a little outta wack cause people not being able to keep their cool oocly and that is a big issue on every side of the spectrum. nothing's really gonna change that until people grow up though, and i dont see that happening any time soon. especially on GTA RP cause this shit been hella toxic since day 1 lmao.

thats p much why topics like these are pointless like everyone keeps saying, all it does is make more arguments for shit that's mostly an IC issue and occasionally a player quality issue that nobody's gonna report cause its easier to complain about it instead of either taking the L and moving on with your day or reporting them to plm

an admin should lock this thread tbh. it's a broken record argument thread that's gonna go nowhere and already was before it was revived.

Edited by ?????????
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Broomstick said:

exactly and thats what niggas don't even understand they got no fear regardless if they do /examine on them and see that they BUILT, they think they a macho man.

As someone who grew up in a pretty bad neighbourhood (not in an american gang context, mind, just a mediterranean gypsy neighbourhood): there's a middle ground between both positions at play here: 

If you are a local, you don't have to bow your head down and grovel before street-level gangs like you were a pitiful worm (not most of the time anyway, save some particularly violent places where gangs are part of generalized organized crime). You're not equal, but gangs have a vested interest in not constantly shitting where they eat since reputation within the neighbourhood is also important. But you need to understand and accurately acknowledge that they are there and that they'd ruin your day if you gave them reason to.

Two days ago my character's car was stolen in Rancho, and he found it nearby at an undisclosed location, with some guys surrounding it as they chatted. He went over, made it clear that he was local, and that he didn't want any trouble and just wanted his car back. They had a few laughs at his expense, pushed him around a bit, and my character kept it friendly by trying to defuse it but made it sure it was obvious he was taking the L. Guess what? I left with my car after.

If you're not a local: crime areas are not a zoo or an attraction. They're crime areas for a reason. If you come around with an attitude, a high-end car, and much more to lose than a poor, marginalized individual who hates what you stand for and also has a vested interest in showing to their friends that you're the enemy, then you're gonna have a bad time. 

Fear is tricky, since people display fear in different ways, but essentially: you must acknowledge that gang characters generally mean it when they say they are going to shoot you. And if they don't get to shoot you, someone close to them will.

But on the same vein (and I'm not saying this is happening now, but it definitely has before) gangs should be careful of not being overly antagonistic to people who look reasonably local. You want people to feel comfortable playing normal characters in your area as well, I'd say.

Edited by Koko
  • Applaud 3

A lot of people get gang members wrong on this server. A lot of them portray some hot head Billy Bad ass you stand on my block I'm going to bully you around type beat. Don't get me wrong they're people like that, but if you look like a normal civilian majority of the time there is zero reason for a gang member to press you. I think it's cringe when I go on my civilian alt and walk through known IC gang territory and I have a host of goons trying to provoke a fight, etc. Gang members from what I've seen from IRL experience although rare is when someone walks in they shit it's they remain quiet and dog the motherfucker (Dog meaning eye down) or they banter with the nigga. "Look at this goofy ass nigga" etc. No one is trying to beat up a random nigga (No normal nigga) it's lame asf. 

Now to the origins of this post. I've seen a gang in the heart of the Vespucci Canals, now that right there MAKES ZERO fucking sense. But if they're other examples please do share.

50 minutes ago, MickeyO said:

A lot of people get gang members wrong on this server. A lot of them portray some hot head Billy Bad ass you stand on my block I'm going to bully you around type beat. Don't get me wrong they're people like that, but if you look like a normal civilian majority of the time there is zero reason for a gang member to press you. I think it's cringe when I go on my civilian alt and walk through known IC gang territory and I have a host of goons trying to provoke a fight, etc. Gang members from what I've seen from IRL experience although rare is when someone walks in they shit it's they remain quiet and dog the motherfucker (Dog meaning eye down) or they banter with the nigga. "Look at this goofy ass nigga" etc. No one is trying to beat up a random nigga (No normal nigga) it's lame asf. 

Now to the origins of this post. I've seen a gang in the heart of the Vespucci Canals, now that right there MAKES ZERO fucking sense. But if they're other examples please do share.

Knocking Heads Off, which is a rather new Venice 13 clique has recently began tagging the Venice Canals so I'd say it's not impossible once done correctly.

• Upvote 1
  • Applaud 1
6 minutes ago, bidi bidi bom bom said:

Knocking Heads Off, which is a rather new Venice 13 clique has recently began tagging the Venice Canals so I'd say it's not impossible once done correctly.

How does it make sense to have a clique in the heart of the canals. What gang member has a home in Vespucci Canals? What, are they commuting to where they bang? Perhaps taking carpool?