/setmileage - User Defined Vehicle Mileage.

BINGBONGBALONEY

8 hours ago, zaXer. said:

watch what happens when you start seeing cars with 150k miles and people posting ads with "REAL MILES" in their cars with 500 miles. it sounds good on paper as a suggestion but I think it would cause more problems than it'll solve. 

The suggestion's fine, what you're describing would fall under some PG/MG hybrid, the same reason people aren't allowed to post ads regarding their "fully upgraded" cars anymore and why you don't see people posting ads as a "REAL OLD MAN" apposed to someone who created a character yesterday with the same age.

It's car mileage, the same car mileage that prevents your engine from turning over and causes your car to breakdown randomly - people aren't going to argue about their car having the most highest legit mileage when they all break down the same, you're thinking too much in to it.

1 hour ago, BINGBONGGHOST said:

The suggestion's fine, what you're describing would fall under some PG/MG hybrid, the same reason people aren't allowed to post ads regarding their "fully upgraded" cars anymore and why you don't see people posting ads as a "REAL OLD MAN" apposed to someone who created a character yesterday with the same age.

It's car mileage, the same car mileage that prevents your engine from turning over and causes your car to breakdown randomly - people aren't going to argue about their car having the most highest legit mileage when they all break down the same, you're thinking too much in to it.

It's not thinking too much, it'll cause more issues than it'll do good. How will I know if 2 cars with 10k miles each, which one are set miles and which ones arent? the maintenance costs depends on the mileage as well. 

It's how our server stats roll.

10 000$ is not much, and 3000 miles is a lot for a car.

Just now, zaXer. said:

It's not thinking too much, it'll cause more issues than it'll do good. How will I know if 2 cars with 10k miles each, which one are set miles and which ones arent? the maintenance costs depends on the mileage as well. 

It's how our server stats roll.

10 000$ is not much, and 3000 miles is a lot for a car.

It wouldn't make a difference as BOTH cars - the "real" mileage and the "fake" mileage - would still equally be effected by the maintenance script. The numbers aren't just for show, I'm not asking for the option to tinker a car's odometer, I'm asking for the option to actually dictate how many miles your vehicle has driven - refer to the OP.

If your issue is the price calculated for the fake car's maintenance being cheaper than the real car's maintenance I'm sure the price of maintenance could be scaled up to match what you WOULD be paying if you'd accumulated the miles through actual driving over setting it yourself.

4 hours ago, BINGBONGGHOST said:

It wouldn't make a difference as BOTH cars - the "real" mileage and the "fake" mileage - would still equally be effected by the maintenance script. The numbers aren't just for show, I'm not asking for the option to tinker a car's odometer, I'm asking for the option to actually dictate how many miles your vehicle has driven - refer to the OP.

If your issue is the price calculated for the fake car's maintenance being cheaper than the real car's maintenance I'm sure the price of maintenance could be scaled up to match what you WOULD be paying if you'd accumulated the miles through actual driving over setting it yourself.

pretty sure it was mentioned in earlier posts here that the service would be equal as the first service price even if the car has miles set to 5000.

If you wanna just increase your miles and deal with the consequences then sure but if you wanna make 50000 mile cars then pay maintenance as a 1250 one then no.

4 minutes ago, zaXer. said:

pretty sure it was mentioned in earlier posts here that the service would be equal as the first service price even if the car has miles set to 5000.

If you wanna just increase your miles and deal with the consequences then sure but if you wanna make 50000 mile cars then pay maintenance as a 1250 one then no.

On 9/20/2020 at 4:05 PM, St3fan[NL] said:

We can add this and calculate back what the last maintenance should be like so its not getting funky

I also agree with @zaXer.. It's a good suggestion in theory but in practice it could go south really easy and really fast. How do you draw the line between an acceptable mileage and one that's done for trollish purposes? How can you prevent people from RPing their vehicle being a 1920s first edition with 800,000 miles on it? You can't really tell someone who's RPing such a character properly that their character is trollish when it really wouldn't be.

This would also render mileage useless in the long run. We'd have huge differences between most vehicles with a mileage <2000 and some with crazy high mileages. These vehicles would also be unsellable or they would be really cheap, which could mess up the whole idea of selling a vehicles. We'd have the same situation that happened when insurances were first introduced - people mainly looked for vehicles that were already insured and were selling them before the insurance ran out. In this case, we'd have people buy vehicles right after being serviced, drive them for a week and sell them and it makes sense - why pay $100,000 for a good Cara when you can pay $50,000 and get another one the next week?

I don't know. It's a nice idea but is it really needed? Can't it be done by a request through /report? It's not like that many people will need their mileages bumped up artificially.   

Very unnecessary. This could result in vehicles having absurd mileage differences. If people are so particularly concerned about this, then just give administrators the access to set mileage on vehicles so they can deem whether the figure is realistic or not. People can /report and request admins to bump up their mileage for valid RP reasons.

Doesn't seem all that unnecessary to me. It's kinda boring how people think 1500 miles in a car is 'a lot', and would rather avoid buying them, when a car can easily have 2-300,000 miles under its belt and still be in a perfectly running condition. I would love to have my character's van be full of miles. Admins' attentions should be spent elsewhere instead of on setting people's vehicles mileage.

On that note, supported!

• Wuhtah locked this topic