Fix languages.

This is light RPish, if they start making up languages and shit they should be punished by admin. There is literally no need to have a scriptwise command for every language such as /serbian you mentioned. It feels silly to be honest, you could just do (serbian) text yourself - but yes, people who make up languages all of a sudden should be punished.

Not supporting, sorry.

I think this is a heavy RP server last time I checked. We have a lot of systems in place to ensure that this server's roleplay quality stays at a heavy roleplay server's quality. If someone is understanding random languages, they are not roleplaying character development properly. As someone who witnessed the found of RP quality reports, I can say for sure it looks like they are being taken a lot more seriously now on this server. If you really are encountering these people who roleplay idiotically around languages, @lambchops would be happy to receive the RPQM report and give them some guidance.

There's a couple problems I see with this. First off, there are languages that would be interchangeable, such as Bosnian/Serbian/Croatian, Urdu/Hindi, Czech/Slovak, so this would need to be accounted for. Furthermore, some languages include similar words, that would give you a gist of what the people are talking about. A character knowing Polish and another knowing Russian will not fully understand each other, but they both say "dom/дом" for home. This sounds minuscule, but in certain roleplay situations, this can be an important detail, and while currently people might not RP knowing the slight words, if the speech is to be locked up, then the speech that is similar needs to be accounted for. 

Another problem I can see here is that some words remain the same no matter what language is being spoken. Swahili or Swedish, I'm going to know if you said "John", and I'm going to know if you said "Los Santos", and I'm definitely going to know if you said "NutBuster kebab and koffee". These would have to be accounted for as well.

Lastly, I feel as if administration would not have enough time to properly research such language additions to each character. This is an IMMENSE workload. This would either result in the denial of many people's languages, effectively killing off a good portion of their roleplay when they rightfully speak that language in character, or it would result in the acceptance of people's langauges who aren't supposed to speak it in the first place, which would not only nullify the point of this system, but potentially encourage those who shouldn't understand languages like that in character to start adding languages to their characters. For an example of a complex character to research, my main speaks English (albeit not too well), Urdu, Punjabi, and Arabic. He speaks Urdu because we learn Urdu in school in Pakistan, he speaks Punjabi because that's what you speak at home in Punjab, he knows English both from education in Pakistan and experience of living in the United States, and he speaks Arabic from his roots of learning the Quran at a young age, getting a minor degree in the language, and moving to the gulf in his 20s. This might seem like a lot of languages, but almost all Punjabi Pakistanis know the three first languages here, and there are many of us who also know Arabic as well. Punjabi and Urdu are two different languages, yet they do have a lot in common at the same time. This is a case that I could easily see being denied, and I wouldn't blame the administrator for doing so, yet, this is entirely realistic. I could think of at least 5 more scenarios in which people would know more than 2 or 3 languages and it would be entirely realistic for them to do so, but I won't clutter up the post too much.

In conclusion, we have RPQM reports for this, this would ignore similarities in languages along with languages that are essentially the same it would also ignore pronouns and references to English words that are used in foreign languages, and it would put such a strain on the administration team that they would not be able to properly research each character's language request. 

14 hours ago, Lucky said:

This is light RPish, if they start making up languages and shit they should be punished by admin. There is literally no need to have a scriptwise command for every language such as /serbian you mentioned. It feels silly to be honest, you could just do (serbian) text yourself - but yes, people who make up languages all of a sudden should be punished.

Not supporting, sorry.

This is exactly my take. I'm sure it's the minority of the playerbase anyway who powergames knowing random languages just so they can benefit and ultimately win a situation. They should be reported and eventually sanctioned by administrators, not given a system.

Edited by colorlessrainbow
  • Upvote 1
  • Maple locked this topic