RL Music Used for IC Purposes?

Vanity

2 minutes ago, ashlyii said:

But again, that's you personally.

Other's posting the clips are doing it for approval of people and likes. As evidenced by the DOLL incident - some people /do/ care how their character's reputation is perceived and made a forum report because they were called out for it. 

DOLL incident? This sounds like a meme, can you link it? 

Just now, eTaylor said:

DOLL incident? This sounds like a meme, can you link it? 

It's linked back further in the thread where a person was taking someone's content and got called out for it. It turned OOC and the -musician-player made a forum report - was told to make their own music and I believe the character ended up getting deleted by the admin. 

3 minutes ago, ashlyii said:

It's linked back further in the thread where a person was taking someone's content and got called out for it. It turned OOC and the -musician-player made a forum report - was told to make their own music and I believe the character ended up getting deleted by the admin. 

Well if an admin already ruled on it, what’s the problem?

the same people on this thread talking about 'if you wanna rp a musician, make your own music with your foreign, australian accent' are the same ones that think gta 5 lore matters just sayin, no shade

I'm not really trying to pay some random on the internet to rap a song for me when nor am i gonna spend my day writing a rap song for a video gameI can quite easily find a rapper from whatever gang my character's from and use one of their songs for my character, and that's what i do. CBF with all the other shit.

Edited by El Ghetto Man
  • Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, El Ghetto Man said:

the same people on this thread talking about 'if you wanna rp a musician, make your own music with your foreign, australian accent' are the same ones that think gta 5 lore matters just sayin, no shade

I'm not really trying to pay some random on the internet to rap a song for me when nor am i gonna spend my day writing a rap song for a video gameI can quite easily find a rapper from whatever gang my character's from and use one of their songs for my character, and that's what i do. CBF with all the other shit.

BuT yOu’Re StEaLINg MuSiC

I cannot roleplay rapping as a fourteen year-old Asian wanna-be gang-banger effectively. Thus, I had used a random fourteen year-old's tracks to produce this video. As Thirteen had stated, it should be content as long as one alters the imagery of the video. Finally, it should be an unknown underground artist to ensure that relevant figures do not conflict with the character: 

I would, however, oppose resorting to using well-known figures. For example, long before this was a rule, I had used Guerrilla Black on a track: 

Edited by DLimit

Let's face it, rp is a mix of writing and improv. The first rule of improv is to say yes. That basically means that you don't stop to argue what other people have introduced you just role with it. 

That said, in a collaborative community there has to be a balance for sake of continuty and shared standards. 

Imo some people take things way too far with what you "can't" do. Do you think every mechanic, driver, doctor etc on this server does it irl. No. The point of rp is to play characters and those should not be limited by anyone's person skills. People should be able to do a little research to play it in a believable fashion but they shouldn't have to go so far as oocly produce something. I'm pretty sure most of the baristas or bartenders aren't sitting behind the screen mixing drinks and sending them to other players.

I can feel a bunch of you rolling your eyes but I feel it's a fair comparison.

Why should you expect one player to output products outside of the server and not everyone. If anything those who even produce any multimedia are going above and beyond helping immersion but it shouldn't be the standard. A voice claim still adds to immersion even if it requires a little bit of suspension of disbelief. Which, FYI, is one of the fundemental requirements for rp to be a thing at all. 

I think it's perfectly fine to use someone else's music as a voice claim and others on the server should practice a little "suspension of disbelief." 

I also agree that it's easier to do this if people are realistic about their choices of artist and use someone that isn't well known.

Its give and take. 

For those of you hung up on "it's stealing." I hate to tell you this.. But you're playing on a modded server that is not officially licensed... 

One addition, from an irl standpoint its wholly plausible that an artist can buy rights to a song that has already been released..so if someone is really being sticky about it being someone else's song, just say you bought a license to release it. 

People really need to change their attitude from.. "You can't do that" to "how do we compromise to make this work so we can both have fun." 

Edited by pixel
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, pixel said:

People really need to change their attitude from.. "You can't do that" to "how do we compromise to make this work so we can both have fun." 

Edited 53 minutes ago by pixel

To add onto this, I feel like the people who are commenting “this isn’t you rapping, this is ____” are the ones breaking immersion. Not the people who are trying to create the RP, ESPECIALLY if they’re voice claiming a lesser-known artist and coming up with everything else.  

1 hour ago, Vanity said:

To add onto this, I feel like the people who are commenting “this isn’t you rapping, this is ____” are the ones breaking immersion. Not the people who are trying to create the RP, ESPECIALLY if they’re voice claiming a lesser-known artist and coming up with everything else.  

They are the ones breaking immersion. Especially if they legit go and put effort into making IC videos & cover art for their characters' songs trying to kill people's desire to rp what they're rping. If your immersion gets ruined by hearing a song that u know OOCLY wasn't made by the actual player, I don't think that should be taken IC. I'm not saying artists like Taylor Swift don't exist ig. (Then again, NOBODY'S FUCKING ROLEPLAYING TAYLOR SWIFT OR USING HER MUSIC FOR THEIR CHARS LMFAO)

The only musicians who I've witnessed having their music used by players on here are lesser known artists who are generally only known by people in certain states/cities/countries

Obviously if someone makes a music video & uses somebody who's well known across the world as their 'voiceclaim', they should be made to stop. But I see no harm in somebody using a random soundcloud rapper who makes music for fun. Especially if you talk to the artist in question and they say it's okay for you to make a video for their song on the game.

what djlimit put in the quote below my comment is a perfect example of something that's believable and imo, there shouldnt be an issue with.

3 hours ago, DLimit said:

I cannot roleplay rapping as a fourteen year-old Asian wanna-be gang-banger effectively. Thus, I had used a random fourteen year-old's tracks to produce this video. As Thirteen had stated, it should be content as long as one alters the imagery of the video. Finally, it should be an unknown underground artist to ensure that relevant figures do not conflict with the character: 

I would, however, oppose resorting to using well-known figures. For example, long before this was a rule, I had used Guerrilla Black on a track: 

Edited by El Ghetto Man