Making Gun Shot Wound roleplay more enjoyable - but how?

Cobra

1 hour ago, Engelbert said:

If this is a heavy roleplay server, how come wounded people are hopping around after an hour since treatment?

There should be a jailtime alternative for people that ended up severely wounded. You caught a bullet? Fine, gotta roleplay the EMT response and procedure then, wham, hospitalized for X minutes or hours (this kinda would apply for people in downed state by default.).

This is something i've been trying to say for awhile now. In its current state, it not only creates awkward but also encourages bad role play. I remember seeing a boss i work for ic get ran over and in real life would likely be in poor condition, it was role played properly the whole nine yards in the moment with medics.. but not even five minutes later he was back like nothing happened lol. "Oh boss, looks like that back of yours is made of ASTM A 242 steel. "Glad to see you're okay"

I know you can simply report these players but realistically you'd be reporting half the server, maybe more for something such as this. What i do for my characters is if i get injured but manage to live, i log off the character for a few days and play on a different one in the mean time depending on the injury. 

Even when a player is shot or otherwise injured and may be critical, they have the ability to determine their fate and only when a player is bored of their character and maybe died a dozen times during the span of the character do they choose to finally character kill. With a sophisticated script injury script that creates internal/external bleeding in wounds, potential struck main arteries or ruptured arteries, and depending on the severity a system that purely revolves around RNG for example if a player is shot in the head, especially multiple times, a person would have to be extremely lucky to survive something like this but medics would still have some what control in attempts to save the victim with a set of tools used by command in a script. It would be RNG because being shot in the head is no joke, neither is even being shot in the leg or the arm as there are main arteries there too whereas without any medical assistance as soon as possible, say within 7 minutes maximum, players would bleed out and die.

• Upvote 1

You know what gave me this actual idea? A plain accident on a cross bike where my character did hit a tree without her helmet, now irl circumstance drove me away from the game for a month right after I roleplayed that accident, but before I left I told everyone to treat it as if my char was tied to a bed in hospital after brain surgery. I know a month is a lot and people won't accept such, but alts exist no? If you get wounded, give it a time, a week maybe, play some other char, perhaps. Heavy roleplay doesn' t mean everything is fun, it means you get to play and have fun, with consequences. I know I know, for me it's easy to send a character to hospital or to prison, given I take breaks from roleplaying lasting from weeks to actual months or years at times.

Edited by Engelbert
  • Applaud 1

I'm not even sure is defined as 'heavy role play' anymore. It seems like it's just a brand that indicates nothing more than being somewhat proficient in English and understanding server rules. You even have management that doesn't classify the server as heavy but merely a server with high standards while others may go off heavy as it's shown in the tab preview in the browser.

Consequences need to become a lot more prominent and while prison is something that will help with this, death and injuries should follow too and hopefully so in the future, maybe it's being discussed internally.

Always keep in mind that this is still a game. Even roleplay knows a break-point at which too much realism makes it annoying and not enjoyable. We could interpret hardcore as in you have to file real life tax documents (just slightly changed for gta) and hand them in.

In the end it's about enjoyment. Yes alternative characters exist. But if I have to stop my character development for weeks / months and cant enjoy my character or am forced to play on another server / with another character although not wanting to, you lose my loyalty. 

Yes a very little demografic party enjoys extreme roleplay where you basically get locked up for life if you commit a cruel murder and have to restart on another character. But this group is way too small to sustain a RP server for a longer period of time. 

Balance is key. Should people stand up and walk back to their neighborhood 2hours away from getting 6 gunshot wounds treated? No. But they should not be removed from roleplay participation neither for weeks. Prison is, in that regard, way more suitable for longterm visits than a hospital is simply because it offers way more RP. We are not trying to punish players after all, right? We punish criminal characters. OOC though the RP possibilities for a player should be equally established in prison as they should in a hospital. 

Unless you start introducing fulltime nurses and way more staff at the hospital so a longer stay can actually be roleplayed (like in prison with COs, other prison gangs, etc.), what you are essentially doing is not increase roleplay or it's standard - you just kill it for a couple of days so you can cry out "REALISM!!1!". And thats just not healthy from a games perspective. I'd be so annoyed by violence roleplay that I'd avoid it all together (especially if suffering violence [sometimes unvoluntarily] has me not being able to rp my character for days). 

After all we do not want a 1:1 imitation of our real lifes. We don't want to stand at the DMV for 4 IRL hours just because it's how it goes in the real world. We are trying to create "as realistic rp as possible" and to me "as possible" is defined by when it stops to be fun. This can happen when you go too soft but also when you get too serious about your roleplay.

13 minutes ago, Coni said:

Always keep in mind that this is still a game. Even roleplay knows a break-point at which too much realism makes it annoying and not enjoyable. We could interpret hardcore as in you have to file real life tax documents (just slightly changed for gta) and hand them in.

In the end it's about enjoyment. Yes alternative characters exist. But if I have to stop my character development for weeks / months and cant enjoy my character or am forced to play on another server / with another character although not wanting to, you lose my loyalty. 

Yes a very little demografic party enjoys extreme roleplay where you basically get locked up for life if you commit a cruel murder and have to restart on another character. But this group is way too small to sustain a RP server for a longer period of time. 

Balance is key. Should people stand up and walk back to their neighborhood 2hours away from getting 6 gunshot wounds treated? No. But they should not be removed from roleplay participation neither for weeks. Prison is, in that regard, way more suitable for longterm visits than a hospital is simply because it offers way more RP. We are not trying to punish players after all, right? We punish criminal characters. OOC though the RP possibilities for a player should be equally established in prison as they should in a hospital. 

Unless you start introducing fulltime nurses and way more staff at the hospital so a longer stay can actually be roleplayed (like in prison with COs, other prison gangs, etc.), what you are essentially doing is not increase roleplay or it's standard - you just kill it for a couple of days so you can cry out "REALISM!!1!". And thats just not healthy from a games perspective. I'd be so annoyed by violence roleplay that I'd avoid it all together (especially if suffering violence [sometimes unvoluntarily] has me not being able to rp my character for days). 

After all we do not want a 1:1 imitation of our real lifes. We don't want to stand at the DMV for 4 IRL hours just because it's how it goes in the real world. We are trying to create "as realistic rp as possible" and to me "as possible" is defined by when it stops to be fun. This can happen when you go too soft but also when you get too serious about your roleplay.

Then again, it'd be foolish to undergo a collision in order to speak with your closest friends within the next hour. It should consist of a BIT of realism on the character's part. I.E. Major amnesia, which must be recovered overtime.

On 6/25/2019 at 10:07 AM, Coni said:

I'd be so annoyed by violence roleplay that I'd avoid it all together (especially if suffering violence [sometimes unvoluntarily] has me not being able to rp my character for days). 

Good and that should be what the server strives to achieve so that people aren't just mindlessly committing crime for the fuck of it. It's not about waiting 4 hours at a DMV, obviously that's unnecessary. Instead trying to stray people away from shooting and doing crime because there are no real worries behind it. Imagine how many people role play 0 pulse so they can quickly get out of role play and go back to repeating the same shit over and over again.

The server could 100% benefit from a more complex injury script for better clarity on player wounds and injuries overall. Getting shot irl could almost be viewed as RNG, getting shot in the head and somehow surviving because that person was lucky enough for the bullet to graze their head or was inches off from dadada, so a script to determine if major blood vessels are hit would work out great and offer paramedics tons of refreshing role play that is probably not seen in other servers, in regards to having almost full control in trying to stop bleeding and saving a players life depending on an array of factors.

No more should a player be in full control and have full say in whether or not they're dead and after so many deaths should a player finally be sought out to have their character entirely killed. 

You cannot force players to sit online and do hospital role play and wait for people to come in, but there are plenty of other ways to go around it while still making it realistic and 'enjoyable'. Dying is not enjoyable and the risks from violence should be more hardcore. Remember that it is a game but also remember that instead of basing your entire post around that argument you could be trying to think of ways to move the server to use a more realistic approach when it comes to death and violence. Prison and jail times shouldn't be the only thing to worry about here.

I agree on a more complex injury system

I agree on less freedom in skipping hospital roleplay. 

I disagree on permanent deaths after X injuries. 

There is no point in discouraging criminal roleplay to the point people avoid it completely. One big plus in gta roleplay is that you can roleplay the darker side of society and that you do get to enjoy the fun parts about the engine, such as car chases and shootouts. Cops enjoy very similar benefits in regards to criminals and I only see the latter being mentioned here. 

Id suggest implementing hospital time similar to prison time but only when the construct is sophisticated enough so that I can still roleplay. Maybe not the roleplay I want (e.g. people enjoy rping outside more than in prison) but still roleplay (I am capable of rping in prison). 

Mostly trying to do roleplay in the hospital means laying around afk 80% of the time. Thats a punishment to the player not the character in my books. 

3 minutes ago, Coni said:

I agree on a more complex injury system

I agree on less freedom in skipping hospital roleplay. 

I disagree on permanent deaths after X injuries. 

There is no point in discouraging criminal roleplay to the point people avoid it completely. One big plus in gta roleplay is that you can roleplay the darker side of society and that you do get to enjoy the fun parts about the engine, such as car chases and shootouts. Cops enjoy very similar benefits in regards to criminals and I only see the latter being mentioned here. 

Id suggest implementing hospital time similar to prison time but only when the construct is sophisticated enough so that I can still roleplay. Maybe not the roleplay I want (e.g. people enjoy rping outside more than in prison) but still roleplay (I am capable of rping in prison). 

Mostly trying to do roleplay in the hospital means laying around afk 80% of the time. Thats a punishment to the player not the character in my books. 

I'm not talking about less freedom in skipping hospital role play. It has nothing to do with hospitals my args are ways to make injuries more advanced and enjoyable for paramedics while also providing risk for deaths and even with that logic you're saying forcing a player to do X is punishment to that player so what are your thoughts on prison then because that's exactly how it's going to be and how it's going to feel, not to mention the time given will be doubled to what it is now. 

Sometimes there needs to be a sense of punishment to both the player and character, it provides a thrill, or at best enhances it. There needs to be a point in discouraging criminal role play to an extent, you think every criminal that gets in to a car chase is quick to hop out of their car and start spraying down police officers? Because that's practically what just about every criminal role player does, it's an easy way out of doing ic time. Anything i said had absolutely nothing to do with hospitals or forcing players to sit in a hospital.

15 minutes ago, 1357 said:

I'm not talking about less freedom in skipping hospital role play. It has nothing to do with hospitals my args are ways to make injuries more advanced and enjoyable for paramedics while also providing risk for deaths and even with that logic you're saying forcing a player to do X is punishment to that player so what are your thoughts on prison then because that's exactly how it's going to be and how it's going to feel, not to mention the time given will be doubled to what it is now. 

Sometimes there needs to be a sense of punishment to both the player and character, it provides a thrill, or at best enhances it. There needs to be a point in discouraging criminal role play to an extent, you think every criminal that gets in to a car chase is quick to hop out of their car and start spraying down police officers? Because that's practically what just about every criminal role player does, it's an easy way out of doing ic time. Anything i said had absolutely nothing to do with hospitals or forcing players to sit in a hospital.

I do not see  my character being imprisoned as me as a player being punished. To me the first and most important consideration should be - does this provide roleplay? And as long as it does, players have to deal with situations that provide roleplay even if it's not the kind they expected. When I try to do a drug deal and get kidnapped thats not RP I would want to do (well I do but some people wouldnt). But its still RP, it gives my character something to tell and to experience. You make new connections in prison or chat up a cute nurse in the hospital. You meet an injured russian crime lord or another gang leader in the prison and create new connections. 

As long as it's roleplay, I don't mind if people have to do the part of it that is less enjoyable. Some of the greatest roleplay can be done in prison due to the close quarters, the high tense race relations between prison gangs and the general dynamic of being caged in close together. LS:RP currently has very active prison gangs, to the point that one even got made official by a friend of mine. It's fun as hell and I'd love to see my non racist caucasian biker struggle with the race dynamics of a prison system. 

But as I imagine prison rn means sitting alone in a yard waiting for a timer to run out. That obviously is just occupying my PC and hardware performance and not really me participating on a RP server. 

I do get your point though and that was an issue that already persisted in SA:MP. It's easier to get killed than to be imprisoned. I just don't know how to re-educate one playerbase without forcing excessive downsides on the other. Maybe make /acceptdeath cost you 10% of your bank account. This would pain everyone equally as someone doing this shit with 1m on his bank account would lose 100k for it. 

I just wouldn't know how to avoid making people lose that cash for accidents or bugs but I guess that's what refund reports are for. People who act like you displayed usually have personal gain as a higher priority than RP. I think the consequence should therefore be attacking the persons gains and not the persons RP capability. 

EDIT: Another thing would be that when someone gets in a shootout and dies while having a PF license he still loses it. Why? A gun registered on that persons name was used for the shootout even if the person was not participating at the scene (since u died = pk = technically never been there). Sounds like that's currently a loophole to keep your gun license while still abusing it to shootout.

Edited by Coni

I'm tired of the "it's a game it's meant to be fun" argument. Go on GTA V online if you wanna die and respawn.

This is a supposedly heavy RP server where you portray a real life person, this is the game, people should have to take time to tend to and recover from severe injuries, not walk it off as soon as FD drop you off at the hospital. Forcing realism is what makes heavy RP more fun. If not then this isn't the game for you really.