Making Gun Shot Wound roleplay more enjoyable - but how?

Cobra

I think the best way to do it is to script around it. If you've played ARMA ACE, I recommend a system similar to that - or at least similar to Space Station 13. Imagine if you had to select a specific limb to manage. Imagine specific medical items with uses for specific types of wounds. It'd be awesome if wounds had diversity - if you slid along the road, you have avulsions. If you're shot, you have impact wounds. Different bandage types/occlusive dressings. I think it'd be a lot more intuitive if wounds were like that and had an affect on what players were capable of doing. For example, if you're shot in the stomach, your stamina drains quicker. If you're shot in the arm, you can't use that arm. If you're shot in the leg, your character trips/ragdolls occasionally. And a shot to the head? Death or concussion. If you implement a system like that, you could also factor in armor types - if you have a Level 3 vest, gunshot wounds don't puncture depending on firearm.

I'm not 100% on if this could be scripted or not, but I feel it'd be a better system than essays of roleplay. That way it's actually a necessary facet of roleplay that FD fills rather than something that someone could just handwave away. FD needs to be integral to the server, and if it's just through roleplay that many people ignore, it will unfortunately not have a fun time.

This has perhaps already been suggested in this thread but there's about 17 pages of stuff to work with here. If it's already been suggested, just add my voice as a supporter.

Legal factions always need script support. Relying on a legal faction to solely focus on roleplay can potentially have consequences. If you're from LSRP, you already know my meaning - the LSFD was relegated to a very bad position on that server based on lack of script support. Dynamic fires, scripted injuries requiring specialized help beyond first aid, and potentially even an illness system based on character health and age would be superb. A drug addiction system would also be sick, where it could be possible for someone with a bad batch of heroin to OD and need a hit of Narcan from the LSPD/LSFD.

Edited by Bospy

Right now players face two options when they're dead script-wise.

1. /acceptdeath 
  2. Role play with EMT.

Most players would rather /acceptdeath than choose option 2 and role play with EMT because quite honestly:

• EMT players generally do use vernacular that only another person who has trained in that specific field would only understand. (it's not a bad thing and yes if you do not understand medical terminology that is thrown around by these players it does not hurt to ask in /b for clarification)
  • But also 'why' "waste" the time role playing with EMT when /acceptdeath essentially results in the same outcome without the need to 'suffer' through the first point? 

What i find to be a problem is that a lot of players focus too much on the fun aspect and much less on the not-so-fun aspects and during these scenarios you shouldn't act selfish and try to rush role play and view them as someone who will revive you just so you can save your strap. It's also a mind numbing problem when paramedics arrive on scene only to look forward to a bunch of players typing '/do No pulse'. 

Encourage /damages.. make it a rule that:

1. Wherever you're shot or injured is where you're shot and injured. Dying script wise should not reflect death realistically speaking. 

The /damages script could be a lot more advanced to further support this rule and make it a better possibility. Include arteries and possibly make it RNG. If a player gets shot in the arm and it hits a main artery it would show in /damages. Otherwise it would show as normal.

I'd start by going against the "everything must be text" idealism that's based around the server and replacing actions that are wasted time on through /me with actual timers, animations, and automated /me.

I love this server, dont get me wrong. I've donated hundreds of dollars so far just because I BELIEVE in it. However, the ideology behind some of the things such like this is extremely unproductive and counterintuitive which I have no clue why this hasn't been brought up or even tried to be discussed before adding other features.

The focus should be player retention and quality and how to implement that by taking advice from those who are veterans of the server, setting aside the favoritism and embracing the logic.

Edited by iAMTemple
On 6/5/2019 at 8:02 PM, 1357 said:

Encourage /damages.. make it a rule that:

1. Wherever you're shot or injured is where you're shot and injured. Dying script wise should not reflect death realistically speaking. 

That should already be a thing, if you're RPing other injuries that aren't on /damages then it's powergaming?

On 6/4/2019 at 9:41 PM, Bospy said:

I think the best way to do it is to script around it. If you've played ARMA ACE, I recommend a system similar to that - or at least similar to Space Station 13. Imagine if you had to select a specific limb to manage. Imagine specific medical items with uses for specific types of wounds. It'd be awesome if wounds had diversity - if you slid along the road, you have avulsions. If you're shot, you have impact wounds. Different bandage types/occlusive dressings. I think it'd be a lot more intuitive if wounds were like that and had an affect on what players were capable of doing. For example, if you're shot in the stomach, your stamina drains quicker. If you're shot in the arm, you can't use that arm. If you're shot in the leg, your character trips/ragdolls occasionally. And a shot to the head? Death or concussion. If you implement a system like that, you could also factor in armor types - if you have a Level 3 vest, gunshot wounds don't puncture depending on firearm.

I'm not 100% on if this could be scripted or not, but I feel it'd be a better system than essays of roleplay. That way it's actually a necessary facet of roleplay that FD fills rather than something that someone could just handwave away. FD needs to be integral to the server, and if it's just through roleplay that many people ignore, it will unfortunately not have a fun time.

This has perhaps already been suggested in this thread but there's about 17 pages of stuff to work with here. If it's already been suggested, just add my voice as a supporter.

Legal factions always need script support. Relying on a legal faction to solely focus on roleplay can potentially have consequences. If you're from LSRP, you already know my meaning - the LSFD was relegated to a very bad position on that server based on lack of script support. Dynamic fires, scripted injuries requiring specialized help beyond first aid, and potentially even an illness system based on character health and age would be superb. A drug addiction system would also be sick, where it could be possible for someone with a bad batch of heroin to OD and need a hit of Narcan from the LSPD/LSFD.

I would love detailed script support. 

Legal factions like PD do get a lot of script support, but others not as much. 

It's no secret that lines of emotes get very boring for both parties after a while. And it's also optional. Yes the rules of the server say you must roleplay your injuries, but that's just a rule - there's nothing to physically make you do that.

In many games when you're injured, it disavantages your game-play and makes it a challenge, it also forces you to go out of your way to get treatment and help. This is where all parties involved in a shooting can actually feel like their character has been affected by the incident. 

A way to actually treat specific injuries and illness, where using the right medicine has a good affect (and the wrong medicine a negative affect), and alters the outcome of the character's story, would be amazing.

1 minute ago, Cobra said:

I would love detailed script support. 

Legal factions like PD do get a lot of script support, but others not as much. 

It's no secret that lines of emotes get very boring for both parties after a while. And it's also optional. Yes the rules of the server say you must roleplay your injuries, but that's just a rule - there's nothing to physically make you do that.

In many games when you're injured, it disavantages your game-play and makes it a challenge, it also forces you to go out of your way to get treatment and help. This is where all parties involved in a shooting can actually feel like their character has been affected by the incident. 

Exactly. And having dire consequences rather than just "oh I can PK, I'm gonna be rambo." Will also encourage people to think twice before doing shit.

• Upvote 1

I don't play anymore but I do enjoy discussing gameplay and scripts.

If you want this to change, change the medical system and actually script in a robust damage system. Make people who take gunshot wounds walk slower and slower as they bleed out, limp if shot in the leg, unable to use an arm if shot in the arm, etc.

Script in a "pass-out" system where players pass out if they bleed out too much. Script in an actual surgery system. It doesn't have to mimic real-life, because this is a game after all.

From what I've read the view on scripts has marginally changed on the server, but there is still a massive emphasis on 'roleplaying' through /me's instead of actual ingame mechanics. By scripting in an actual robust system, not only will medical and FD have fun DOING actual medical roleplay instead of typing a story, but players will be FORCED to seek medical help.

• Upvote 1

@bopsy Space Station 13 is a great example of RP and scripts working hand in hand. Some SS13 servers have very indepth medical systems that involve multiple steps for surgery, multiple surgery scenarios (cutting off, cauterizing, and reattaching limbs, removing shrapnel from different body parts, internal organ damage, etc), different damage levels so players actively seek medical care when hurt, etc.

Adding a pass-out timer of say, 10 minutes, where if you bleed out you 'pass-out' for 10 minutes and can't move will do wonders. Of course, playerbase and map size must be taken into account, possibly adding an automatic prompt that asks if you want to call 911 right before you die.

So from the last few replies, we'd be interested in these types of scripts:

- Passing out script

- Injuries that are connected to body parts (info is already in /damages)

- Script identifies when crucial body functions have been shot (e.g. the carotid artery in the neck has been shot, the consequence is rapid bleeding and death may occur within 10 minutes.)

- Limping script/Slower walking script due to injuries

- Treatment script for injuries offered by FD/Medical factions

Would also be cool if the visuals change like when you're drunk, causing you to become disoriented and confused, which is what happens when you loose over 15% of your body's blood volume. I have seen this kind of thing on servers before. 

What I believe are the advantages of this:

- People will take more care to not become injured

- People will have a forced physical aid to emote their injuries

- People will seek medical attention when injured

- More people will want to join FD/Medical factions in order to treat for injuries

- Treating injuries will become fun, and can allow the emotes to be more meaningful (rather than robotic)

Of course it will take some planning and development, but I think this would be ideal for Developers to look at working on in the not too distant future.

The end goal is to add challenge, fun and game-play to being shot, or treating someone who has been shot.

Edited by Cobra