Your thoughts on IC Consequences?

IC Consequence. (And the OOC intervention in them)

Now, it's a game and a reasonable balance has to be reached between fun and pure realism. But here's what irks me a little:

Whenever I see people get ajailed for misidentifying their targets, for example, I think about how a good follow-up to that RP opportunity is missed in favor of OOC punishment.

I'm OK to have OOC punishment be handed out when it's needed. But how is one meant to portray a realistic character if they're not supposed to make any IC mistakes and learn from them? Let alone suffer any consequence whatsoever on their characters?

Jail is not the only outcome for mistakes.

Let's forget about sending characters to jail when talking about consequences. I don't care for bigger jail time. - pretty sure bringing heat to the faction alone by killing a random bystander would get a street-level criminal chewed out, if not jumped by other, more seasoned members for this kind of stuff would be a big enough consequence. Why can't we let things evolve like this IC'ly more often?

I think the reason players are getting more and more brazen with what their characters do IC is because they feel comfortable enough with the fact that if they step over a certain IC line, things are more likely to be brought OOC'ly and voided, so they take the risk. After all, the reward is greater than the punishment.

We also talk a whole lot about fear RP but only apply it here to a perpetrator/victim. But fear RP has to also somehow translate into one's fear of consequence for their actions too:

As the YouTube comments said: "The only thing stolen was his self-esteem". Of course, he likely went to jail for this but the point is that at least he won't be getting several charges of manslaughter because he was smart enough to decide to drop it and not escalate things. The consequences are less severe, but still there.

People often miss the point and attribute it to simple poor portrayal on behalf of either Legal RP or Illegal RP only. Apply this video to GTA: World, and this guy would've been way more likely to shoot each of them in the head and loot their corpses anyway. Why? Not because "Ohh IlLegaL rP bAd" - But because the same thing applies to 'Legal RP' characters and their concealed carry who will not assess a situation properly before drawing their gun because the consequences in either case at worst would be voiding the situation.

Say someone had a gun and decided to draw it - What if that prompted the robber to shoot all of them when he would've otherwise not fired a single shot? That's what I'm talking about when I talk about consequences.

TL;DR: People blame poor portrayal on illegal/legal RP but forget that that 'poor portrayal' stems from a greater lack of proper IC consequence and the unwillingness of some to take responsibility for their actions. AKA "It's only a video game" when it's convenient, as soon as it isn't convenient, then actions become unrealistic, reported, and punished/voided.

Edited by Mistery14
  • Upvote 3

The issue that we see on the server is that 99% of the described situations are not genuine IC mistakes. In most cases, trigger happy deathmatchers block-wipe everybody in their vicinity, or just shoot random people for the OOC fun of it. Taking this as an IC mistake would trigger a mayhem on the server where everybody would be able to DM anybody without actually getting punished for breaking the deathmatching rule. 

Edited by 30_clip
  • Upvote 6

my character once engaged and killed 2 homicide suspects who were in the middle of an active ck on someone and chose to stop their vehicle and fire at my character instead of flee because one of them had an automatic and felt brave. after they died, they reported to an admin who felt an on duty police officer pursuing them without backup (early morning hours nobody else on) was a lack of fear rp. as you are aware if you die in the middle of a ck attempt then you are subsequently cked. 

i obviously harbor no ill intent towards the administrator(s) responsible for the decision at the time and went through the appropriate staff report process, but it was just one of several incidents that reinforce this being a common occurrence.

ur point of things being voided when they dont go certain people's way is absolutely correct on both sides of the fence, both legal and illegal. voiding is really starting to become tiring, especially when most situations are just completely dismissed over miniscule technicalities

here's the appeal of my report in case ur interested: image.png?ex=6606efd1&is=65f47ad1&hm=4f162698e503798b1d8724eb1b595d9aa6bce3ee1e0d110a90d79efb003858fa&

Edited by radreaper100
  • Upvote 2
2 hours ago, DLimit said:

People don't RP fear. People can simply PK or NC to avoid consequences, which has been the case for years.

This.

Zero consequences besides "Oh no, I lost my shit I had on me.". 

2 hours ago, DLimit said:

People don't RP fear. People can simply PK or NC to avoid consequences, which has been the case for years.

39 minutes ago, Kenshi said:

This.

Zero consequences besides "Oh no, I lost my shit I had on me.". 

People seriously need to take the PK/NC more seriously and what it entails with it. Like the time I had my char fuck up IC, after which the admin who came to the scene after the other party /report'd me, said "Since PD is already on scene, let it playout". It ended with my character getting Life sentence IC. After which I made a new char. I prefer to stick with the consequences instead of ditching a character altogether just cause of me not liking to lose.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Vash Baldeus said:

People seriously need to take the PK/NC more seriously and what it entails with it. Like the time I had my char fuck up IC, after which the admin who came to the scene after the other party /report'd me, said "Since PD is already on scene, let it playout". It ended with my character getting Life sentence IC. After which I made a new char. I prefer to stick with the consequences instead of ditching a character altogether just cause of me not liking to lose.

I agree with this, I think players should face the consequences that pop up in front of them! At the end of the day, it's down to them how they RP, illegal or legal, whatever rocks your boat. But I think getting too attached to your character can be a mistake when you know for a fact your character will end up getting CK'd eventually. 

6 hours ago, Mistery14 said:

"It's only a video game" when it's convenient, as soon as it isn't convenient, then actions become unrealistic, reported, and punished/voided.

If you tell certain people that they're expected to realistically fear consequences like death or prison, they'll tell you this is a game and it's supposed to be fun. Those same people will then turn around in a heartbeat and say that being the victim of mugging roleplay isn't supposed to be fun and to stop whining.

My guy, nothing's going to change with this either.

• Upvote 2

I'm going to state my opinions here. Like them, or hate them; it is what I believe is happening.

The continuous OOC intervention is tiring. As someone else has said, every minuscule reason is enough to void a big scene. Roleplay isn't organic on text-based RP servers anymore, and it hasn't been for years. Sure, some organic roleplay might appear here and there, but the majority of roleplay is micromanaged by staff, and applications, and reports, and requests, and a lot is turned down, or closed because of reason X, or reason Y, or perhaps even reason Z.

I see so many situations getting voided that could've unfolded into great (side)stories. Not everyone or everything is flawless. Sure, "block wiping" is wrong because it's basically deathmatching if you are only looking to kill 1 target.

But for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

How about an example?

Subject A really wants to kill Subject B because they disrespected their mom. Subject A does his best to figure out a way to kill Subject B, but Subject B is always around a group of people, and is rarely ever found alone. Subject A grows impatient, gathers a crew, and performs a drive-by on Subject B. In the process, Subject B's friends fire back - because you won't just let someone kill your friend when you're standing right next to them, right? Now Subject A and his friends are fighting dead Subject B's friends, which is suddenly seen as a "block wipe" for some reason or another.

Every domino effect is voided because someone doesn't agree that a whole group has to die because their friend got shot, and they fired back in return. Action, Reaction, Voided.

It's a game, and a fictional life. Yes, a lot of us put hours into refining their character, but these characters aren't permanent. What, are you going to sue Nervous when the server eventually closes down because you suddenly cannot reach the assets you worked so hard for anymore? Just because you don't agree with how a situation turned out because you got killed, doesn't mean it needs to become a dragged out report that eventually leads to a voiding of the scene because, whoops, someone forgot to roleplay a very specific /me about an injury. Oh, boo hoo.

Take the L. Learn from the L, so that in the future, you can have a W.

If you aren't willing to take the IC consequences and instead want to spend your valuable time bitching and moaning in a forum complaint because the situation didn't turn out as you wanted it to, then roleplay is not for you.

• Upvote 3
  • Applaud 2