Aging a character?

Because I'm in a legal faction, I do it based on promotions and milestones. This does mean that my character has aged 10 years in six months, but you work with it based on the confines of those you usually RP with.

i do 1 month = 1 year with milestone caveat.

say there's a huge event going on like getting into prison or ranking up, things like that, age up.

or else it's 1 year up every month.

Edited by Cipher
On 1/15/2024 at 10:11 AM, marbella mondays said:

3-4 months = 1 ic year, is how I do it 

On 1/15/2024 at 2:55 PM, Glitch said:

I generally tend to age my characters either with milestones completed or after enough time has passed, roughly 2-4 months of OOC time per 1 year. It really varies how much goes on in his life.

On 1/15/2024 at 3:02 PM, commission said:

Time dilation is a real thing here on GTA World, but from what I've seen the general consensus is that one ages up once every 1-2 months, maybe 3 months. Depending if you're in a faction, certain leaders will push you to make age-ups for your characters as you increase in rank / influence in said faction.

What I usually do is I age up once every 1-2 months. Yes, if I had a Facebrowser I'd also change the age on there, and I'd push a year back on 'official documents' if I were ever asked that by gov/LEOs.
Thing is, this isn't too deep: you can age up whenever you like. You can tell a person you met a month ago OOCly when you were 22 that you are now 23. People won't bat an eye, since we know time dilation can't be fixed on roleplay servers, but that's just fine.

These are the most sensible answers. Add a year every 1-3 months, adjustments for things like prison time. One of my characters aged 22-25 years in about 48 months, another only about 7 years since I've only played on that character on and off.

Edited by mj2002
  • Thanks 1

It depends for me. When it comes to my legal characters, I tend to do 1:1.

As for my illegal characters, time skips are more common. Especially when your character lands in jail or ranks up in the faction. It's poor roleplay to leave prison with a murder charge, roleplaying being the same age. Or let's say you start off roleplaying in an MC as a hangaround and slowly progress. You won't roleplay being the same age the entire time. 

• Upvote 1

The problem with that though, again, is continuity. Legal characters do 1:1, might have an illegal friend who does 12:1, and they can watch someone who was younger than them become quickly older.

It's hard to ignore when someone goes to jail for a week or two IRL, and come back out, and get back involved in things that don't take into account they're a year older.

10 hours ago, Astralsomnia said:

The problem with that though, again, is continuity. Legal characters do 1:1, might have an illegal friend who does 12:1, and they can watch someone who was younger than them become quickly older.

It's hard to ignore when someone goes to jail for a week or two IRL, and come back out, and get back involved in things that don't take into account they're a year older.

This is a common occurrence in ULSA, where you have characters that RP 1:1 and characters that want to spend the minimum time possible the faction, get their degree and RP their college years and move on to another faction for their development. 

The way ULSA handles this is pretty straightforward, even if a bit janky: "It's up to the aging player to sort out continuity issues. If you want to age up, you cannot force others to do it with you. It's up to you to sort out any mixups" and if it's not possible, then you should avoid mentioning conflicting events. 

In my time in ULSA I aged up enough years for an MBA and my development. Other characters have gone from late thirties (when we first met) to pushing 50s. I also "knew" the current chancellor when he was still a student and right now he is almost the same age as my character

We just "ignore" these for the sake of RP 

Same as a lot of people here, but a bit different. I had to age up because of RPQM, or had to age up to get my PF because I wanted a career change and had to do that (still regrets tho it's fine, I think she was 18 for 3 months, then 21 for now, after 10 months, no-one really cares as I did have only like 5 friends as 18yo)

I also aged up after taking long breaks from GTAW, as basically if you're offline for 3 months, you're gonna be out of the loop on pretty much everything. My 2021 character is 30 by now, a lot of people who I played it while she was 21, 23 are in their thirties as well or namechanged, stopped playing.. I think only 2021 girlfriend is still 22 after being offline for 3 years, but it's no issue for me (saying they dated 9 years ago :x 21 and 13 yo is.. well you can guess.)  So if we ever met again it'd be "3 years ago" without mentioning anything about age, or we forget it totally.. andd "we dated" is fine.

• 1 month later...

Faction RP helps dramatically with aging characters from my experience. I've had the same character from 2019 that I've had in an illegal faction that I'd age up a certain amount depending on the next generation of characters that would join or be made and what rank I was in the faction. From 16 to now early 70s. I've met some that do it a year a month though.

I just age my character when things IC'ly are improving I guess. I don't stick to a time frame for it all. For example, if I wanted to go up in ranks in the faction I'm in, I would have to age my character up regardless. 

Edited by Godmask