Media RP Improvements - LEO Radio / 911 dispatch

Throwing a bone to a section of the server that's been working basically by themselves to create a better and more realistic atmosphere for both criminals and the police is more than warranted.

Considering how easy it is to listen in on police frequencies in real life, I don't think there's any legitimate reason to say "no" to this.

+1

• Thanks 1

There is realism, and there's what we can do on the server both development related, but also not providing something that is OP. 

I think a radio station is unneeded, it was discussed and denied before and while I disagree with one or two of the reasons why, fundamentally I agree not going with that route.

My full suggestion waaaas ... as I said, limited view of /911.

• Show calls made in the last *30* minutes - timeframe could decrease.
  • Redact names
  • Redact numbers
  • Keep location
  • Keep call summary (if there was a category instead it would be great but this would help us ICly "fight" over calls to go to.)

We have no way of knowing if units have/are responding - no MG to be had.

MGing that a call has been made is kinda pointless because if a crime is committed in public it is /wise/ to assume a call has been made already.

We could roleplay this as if we're picking up a call on an internal radio to available units. I.e "Dispatch to all available units, code 3 response required to Power Street for alleged shots fired."

We can't MG names and numbers unless we're on scene and happen to find the caller. By then, it's pointless and if there's a revenge killing, the question will be posed of "how did you know".

We'd have to use investigative journalism to find the scene, see if we can find witnesses and the caller and keeps that suspense in-tact without hearing all about how many units are going, what sub-departments, how many down, etc etc. We can find all of that on scene, we do NOT need that information.

Also means no radio spam, PD don't have to worry about the MG implications and we are able to find something to respond to and decide if it's worth reporting on.

Perhaps a chat alert to say "POLICE SCANNER: A new call can be heard over the scanner. 

Five seconds later - Location.

Five seconds later - Description.

Could make it so there is the delay in getting the information. I have no idea how accurate police scanners are, if there are frequency drops and so on, but 1:1 should not, imo, the /goal/, only the inspiration.

It should only likely be roleplayed when in a vehicle with a scanner installed, and laws around it's use should be investigated for legal faction use. Idk much about them in that sense. 

TLDR; less is more, imo. Give us basic details, let us figure the rest out.

For the sake of accountability, we could mark a stringer unit as responding, which shows for our internal stringers but also in the logs. 

Only problems of showing them 911 calls, that I can think of...is that at certain times a proportion of them are not responded to.  So you're gonna have a stringer turn up at "somebody got shot at Davis LTD", and it's just a dying person, the caller and the media.  I guess such a situation could make for some interesting news articles though? 😄

I agree with some of what you speak @Lomadias

These following points do not make sense though:

There is realism, and there's what we can do on the server both development related, but also not providing something that is OP. 

There is nothing overpowered about this. Overpower suggests defeating or overcoming something which generally would ruin another persons experience, kind of how cop cars ruin the experience of illegal roleplayers by being overpowered despite there being ten of them plus a helicopter to pursue one shitty little suspect vehicle. 

We have no way of knowing if units have/are responding - no MG to be had.

LEOs literally have to update their status to Dispatch about what their unit number is doing.
I have heard them doing this multiple times in the past 2 minutes of listening to Long Beach radio dispatch.

How do you consider that information metagame when it'd be acquired the same way we'd acquire 911 information (By the dispatcher sending units to the calls with 911 information and the unit replying and responding to the scene)

Edited by Peat
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for your suggestion @Peat!

There are different ways of bringing a suggestion and I believe you started off strong and respectful until I read the following two paragraphs.

'If you are lucky enough to get on scene early you still face the countless robotic LEO roleplayers that more often than not hit you with the "I'm not a Public Information Officer, I can't talk to media, sorry" at any questions you may ask. This leaves journalists in the dark when in reality they already know as much as the LEOs about the general basis of the call as the transmission they responded to would be exactly what a journalist hears and responds to.'

'There is nothing overpowered about this. Overpower suggests defeating or overcoming something which generally would ruin another persons experience, kind of how cop cars ruin the experience of illegal roleplayers by being overpowered despite there being ten of them plus a helicopter to pursue one shitty little suspect vehicle. '

Please refrain from talking about other factions in such way, especially if you are looking to get support on a script suggestion in which they are heavily involved. There are bad apples in every bunch! Let's not speak for other factions here and stay focused on what we are actually trying to achieve by giving others the time to respond and not talking negatively.

If you do have concrete evidence of situations that ruin other peoples experience, feel free to make a faction report on the UCP.

For now? Stay focused on the suggestion itself and not on other factions.

Edited by Hood
  • Upvote 5
51 minutes ago, Hood said:

There are different ways of bringing a suggestion and I believe you started off strong and respectful until I read the following two paragraphs.

Thankyou for letting me know. I may have let some of my own personal frustrations over the system and situation out when writing. I have amended the post about robotic roleplayers to word it in a more respectful and impartial manner that does not implicate any faction specifically.

Sorry to anyone who had their feelings hurt. 

• Reece? locked this topic