Metagaming, OOC vs IC, and Bleeding

Astralsomnia

33 minutes ago, Astralsomnia said:

Might have something to do with this server having thousands of active players. While its great for organic (unplanned) encounters, and a highly immersive environment with an actual living city... it also means a lot of subpar RPers who barely understand the concept are around. My best RP experiences are with small/medium servers, with maybe 20-80 active people.

Or probably the majority of the demographic being immature adults (and I use the word adults very loosely) or teenagers though I must admit I do have very fond memories of GTAW back when the max online population was between 30-100 at peak. I do feel there's to much of a focus on continued growth as the surge in the playerbase over the last 2 years has certainly diluted the roleplay quality overall whilst the tolerance for poorly thought out roleplay has significantly increased.

Edited by Moonsong
  • Upvote 2

Using EVE as a example is wild. EVE is full of glorious psychopaths who will spend literal years just to fuck you over in the end but with a lot less toxicity and general awfulness.

Meanwhile GTAW people will happily spread rumors, be more toxic than the wastewaters of any major cities, gleefully talk behind your back and insult you because you don't feel like rping with someone or something IRL came up then hide behind "its not that deep lmao just turn off your monitor"

Especially the people who act like their ic char is them in real life and threaten people with videos of guns and shit.. That is just crazy.

• Upvote 2

pretty much every faction is complete garbage. you're just trying to find a bit of trash that best resembles something you might enjoy if it was run properly

I dont read too deep into it anymore because it's only been on a decline for the past few years. quality has dropped significantly in favor of trying to jam pack as many illegal and legal factions into the map so that nearly every intersection is controlled or patrolled by some criminal organization/gang. to play a legal character and have any realistic modicum of assets you have to go through applications, tests and intense scrutiny meanwhile anyone that wants to go and mug someone or join some gang needs to make sure that their 3 day old character has mediocre development sprinkled about to avoid tipping off staff

illegal factions, legal factions, illegal players and legal players can get away with so many rule breaks for so long that their admin record starts to read like the bill of rights, but they're allowed to keep playing the game. god forbid you report members of an opposing faction, or you'll get an onslaught of DMs from their leadership that you should have came to them to resolve it instead of filing a report, because they don't want their members soiling their admin records and IFM questioning why they're letting these players in their groups. meanwhile cops self-void anything that might remotely resemble wrong-doing or complete negligence, resulting in an overall decline in the factions quality because these situations never go up the chain

toxicity is rampant on all sides, so at this point you just have to cope and find decent rp between the map wide gangbanging hell and intrusive cop players

Edited by rainbowlarva
  • Upvote 2
  • Applaud 4

The type of bleeding you talk about is a non-issue, sorta. I have had a few scenarios where people decided to treat me differently OOC as a result of me acting in my own self interest. Truth is, it doesn't really bother me because it lets me know who I do and don't want to roleplay with. On the other side - people are allowed to not roleplay with you based off your ooc personality, or at least attempt to avoid you as a result of your nature whether ooc or ic. Naturally this should be done in an ic manner, but they don't have to provide any real reason other than just your existence.

The reason I say this is a non-issue is because, well, you can't really do anything about it. People are allowed to avoid others and getting "blackslisted" isn't really like an official thing so it can't really be addressed as nobody can object to the exclusivity of a faction. I think people just take themselves a little too seriously sometimes as shitposting on the forums should not really matter, honestly. 

Although, the "play to win" mentality to everywhere, I think the source is a different issue. I believe more people need to just explain themselves or their actions, as sometimes we expect that we were wronged from previous experiences or other reasons. We need to go forward, being more transparent about everything. This means that people need to be OK oocly explaining themselves without fear of metagamed retaliation. I mean, I'm sure everybody has that situation where it turned into a report when it could've been a private message.

Otherwise, the secrecy that stems from the paranoia of getting metagamed and "losing" often results in unnecessary reports where the players have to reveal their motives and intentions on the forums anyways so yeah, people should put away their ooc distrust or prejudices and stop bleeding into reports. 

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, Anders said:

Using EVE as a example is wild. EVE is full of glorious psychopaths who will spend literal years just to fuck you over in the end but with a lot less toxicity and general awfulness.

Meanwhile GTAW people will happily spread rumors, be more toxic than the wastewaters of any major cities, gleefully talk behind your back and insult you because you don't feel like rping with someone or something IRL came up then hide behind "its not that deep lmao just turn off your monitor"

Especially the people who act like their ic char is them in real life and threaten people with videos of guns and shit.. That is just crazy.

Oh trust me, if you spend any time on the Eve forums or subreddit (which is run by a chin dribbling moron) it's equally as toxic as GTAW particularly around nullsec politics. Difference is, you can actually ignore what you don't like and you're under no obligation to engage with it.

2 hours ago, Moonsong said:

Oh trust me, if you spend any time on the Eve forums or subreddit (which is run by a chin dribbling moron) it's equally as toxic as GTAW particularly around nullsec politics. Difference is, you can actually ignore what you don't like and you're under no obligation to engage with it.

Well yea your first problem is thinking reddit is a good place to go to. It sucks.

And I've been on the forums a few times, not seen toxicity like gtaw tbh. 

Then again this was pre f2p so might have changed.

#bringbackjukebox

1 minute ago, Anders said:

Well yea your first problem is thinking reddit is a good place to go to. It sucks.

And I've been on the forums a few times, not seen toxicity like gtaw tbh. 

Then again this was pre f2p so might have changed.

#bringbackjukebox

LMAO, I don't spend anymore time than I have to on Reddit. Just heard of lots of bad experiences from new players who went there for advice and got clowned on.

Like I said you can mostly ignore the toxicity in Eve by not engaging with the vast majority but make any suggestion or share an opinion on the forum, you're in for a bad time. Especially if you're not a nullsec player. Though I think we're slightly drifting off-topic I think it's still a reasonable comparison to compare the toxicity between the two communities. But there's no question that the toxicity is worse on GTAW because it's enabled with the lax attitude towards those with inherently troubling mentalities and troublemakers out to play the system and make the experience of others as miserable as they can. 

As long as this "teach first, punish later" attitude is maintained towards those who deliberately disrupt roleplay and willfully break rules, GTAW will never reach it's full potential of the quality of roleplay it can provide to it's players. That peaked a long time ago imho

The server is not that toxic as people think, it actually depends on the approach you have. I came here from spansih speaking servers and I can say that toxicity there is WAY heavier than here, multiplied by 4 and without exaggerating but I learnt how to handle it. 

Obviously there's a big OOC component within our character and we play to win, I ain't here to fool no one, but sometimes you just gotta shut up and learn to take the L. If you're struggling and always getting into OOC squabble and that shit you might think about reconsidering the character you're trying to approach or the faction you're trying to interact with. I had almost 0 OOC problems and all of them were because as usual trolls, which are present in every RP SV and I had a really pleasant time here without big issues. 

In summary, drink some water whenever you wanna play gta w and enjoy, no need to trip over a 2013 game mixed with Sims  LOL.

Edited by MxnSterx
  • Upvote 1