Roleplay Isolation Discussion

Viscaria

14 hours ago, AnthonyCourtney said:

48 hour investigative holds are not fine. First of all I'm not logging in to stare at a wall so they're useless, and second of all I don't trust any player here with the ability to interrupt somebody else's roleplay for 2 entire days. The only thing this achieves is depriving people of RP, it doesn't even really do anything much for the detectives.  Female jail is a lost cause, there will never be enough female criminal roleplayers to consistently populate an entire section of the prison - it's unfortunate but there's no way to fix this, the population will always fluctuate wildly. Mixing males/females would be stupid since it would not only be ridiculous, but it'd also just result in everybody serious about prison RP ignoring them anyway.

But prison isolation is just a necessary evil. There has to be a way to punish and segregate inmates who either can't behave or are, in character, too dangerous to let roam in general population. It's the easiest way to keep prison free of trolls - people who start shit eventually realize that it's not worth the time in isolation (where your sentence time should not go down). As an added bonus, trolls tend to fuck up and get themselves put in the hole very quickly, which also teaches them a lesson and makes prison a more pleasant place to be in.

Wrong, often 48-hour holds allow us to raid and do what not is needed without you being able to interact with friends and allies IC. It's a tool to give the detectives a breather when it comes to paging for warrants and what not as that often is not instant, and we don't want to sit and watch properties for people to log in and out with items ect. 

I do believe it should be used with more care, as you are right. It is just staring into a wall simulator.

• Upvote 5

There's a lot of good discussion going on especially around the 48 hour investigative hold topic, does anyone have any thoughts as to alternatives than locking a character into a cell the entire time? A thought that popped into my head is perhaps some type of section in Boiling Broke that is much like SEG but perhaps it can be shared with other players who are also on 48h hold? When the timer is up, they would be able to /releaseme themselves just like the usual system. They of course would have no access to a phone or be able to interact with any people in gen pop, and there would be no x3 time reduction. We do get quite a few reports having to let players out of these holds due to the fact that often times, LEO's aren't currently able to, and then perhaps forget, and a number of other reasons.

Edited by Viscaria
  • Upvote 2
1 minute ago, Viscaria said:

There's a lot of good discussion going on especially around the 48 hour investigative hold topic, does anyone have any thoughts as to alternatives than locking a character into a cell the entire time? A thought that popped into my head is perhaps some type of section in Boiling Broke that is much like SEG but perhaps it can be shared with other players who are also on 48h hold? When the timer is up, they would be able to /releaseme themselves just like the usual system. We do get quite a few reports having to let players out of these holds due to the fact that often times, LEO's aren't currently able to, and then perhaps forget, and a number of other reasons.

This could be a good alternative as long as the said area has no phones etc., a lot of the 48-hour hold is being able to move without other parties' IC knowledge - Personally, I've always found it common courtesy to add the person on discord and try and communicate w. them regarding interviews and what not.

And it could often be cut shorter than 48 hours, however, as a detective, you have to rely on multiple aspects - Other players in your faction, JSA for warrants, and this often becomes many cogwheels turning outside yours that you're unaware of as the detainee. 

• Upvote 2

That's another question I have in mind, when the investigation is concluded, are LEO's making it a priority to remove them from the hold? It should be a requirement to putting a character on these holds that if an investigation is concluded that its a priority to set them free if not found guilty, as holding someone in a detainment for longer than what is necessary is a violation of their 4th amendment rights by unlawful seizure of their person.

6 minutes ago, Viscaria said:

That's another question I have in mind, when the investigation is concluded, are LEO's making it a priority to remove them from the hold? It should be a requirement to putting a character on these holds that if an investigation is concluded that its a priority to set them free if not found guilty, as holding someone in a detainment for longer than what is necessary is a violation of their 4th amendment rights by unlawful seizure of their person.

If it's not a 'priority' it's a fat lawsuit coming from the detainee for a 4th amendment violation.

• Upvote 2
37 minutes ago, Mahiko said:

This could be a good alternative as long as the said area has no phones etc., a lot of the 48-hour hold is being able to move without other parties' IC knowledge - Personally, I've always found it common courtesy to add the person on discord and try and communicate w. them regarding interviews and what not.

And it could often be cut shorter than 48 hours, however, as a detective, you have to rely on multiple aspects - Other players in your faction, JSA for warrants, and this often becomes many cogwheels turning outside yours that you're unaware of as the detainee. 

Making it 12/24 hours tops and prioritizing the case could work.

• Upvote 1
Just now, munnezza said:

Making it 12/24 hours tops and prioritizing the case could work.

Often pagers w. warrants can take up to 20 hours, that doesn't leave much room for the Detective, again. It's a lot more behind the scenes than just a 48 hour hold.

• Upvote 1

There is some posts that's steering away from the topic at hand so let's please keep on topic and not turn this into useless back and forth, the discussion here is about roleplay isolation not who's time matters more, the hope of this discussion is to talk about this topic in a civil manner, perhaps in the future it will be useful if any changes were decided to be made should there be a resolution that respects both sides of the coin.

Here is a curveball of a question for any players that play detectives or have played them - How does the 48 hour holds assist you with your roleplay? And is there something more that could be done to aid with detective investigation roleplay?

Things we already know;
Takes time to interact with DA and other entities
Takes time to get a judge to sign off on any search warrants + the time it takes to set up
Keeps the suspect detained to avoid any discarding / moving of potential evidence

The entire point of a 48 Hour hold is to limit that characters roleplay limitations, I agree It's a bit stupid and contributes no roleplay except for one party. But It's a necessary addition and the person within the hold is just going to have to deal with it unfortunately. Though I can't speak for all LEO roleplayers, I only resort to 48 hour holds when the situation absolutely requires it and a big case will be potentially snowballed out of it.

As for Segregation, if a players end up there It's usually by their own volition. Most people I've spoken to actually enjoy it for whatever reason it may be, but limited roleplay in seg is not a server problem, It's a players issue.

• Upvote 1