Display text over the heads of players who are typing.

3 hours ago, Blackbeard said:

But /toggable, please. 

This, please. I personally hate seeing anything over a player's head. It looks major RPG-ish in my opinion. Implement it, but drop a /tog system into it so we can disable is as per player's wishes.

1 minute ago, JustAnM43 said:

This, please. I personally hate seeing anything over a player's head. It looks major RPG-ish in my opinion. Implement it, but drop a /tog system into it so we can disable is as per player's wishes.

This. 

And it should also be only like 3 dots, very small ones.

And for the record, this was already suggested. Nervous said it was too resource heavy.

Please God no. Don't do it.

The last thing I think we need is people watching dots to take cues for their RP instead of letting a situation play out organically. I think it fosters a point of if they see the dots and then don't see them because the person is rethinking their statement, it leads to people becoming impatient. If you're worried about people AFK, put the actual AFK marker above their head.

• Upvote 3

Something else is that for me at least, a lot of times I open the text box to check stats, check contacts, do /help or look at anims in /anim help.  There's a lot of times I have the textbox open but my character isn't going to say anything.

It might be very disruptive, because people would see the signal above my character's head, and they might be expecting my character to say something, and so delay their own speech.  Also, it would make things weirdly Sims-like.

Yes, yes and yes!

I'm not sure about the *typing* text appearing above the head because it could get annoying seeing it appear and dispensary frequently in large populated areas. Maybe the colour of the name should change when someone is typing? It goes red when you sustain damage, so half of it is already there.

I personally don't think this is necessary, for many great reasons listed prior to my post who are also against this suggestion. 

The last thing I think we need is people watching dots to take cues for their RP instead of letting a situation play out organically. I think it fosters a point of if they see the dots and then don't see them because the person is rethinking their statement, it leads to people becoming impatient. If you're worried about people AFK, put the actual AFK marker above their head.

•  

This is the best reason.

Edited by bool
On 3/5/2019 at 7:11 AM, jcat said:

Maybe not the word 'typing' over their heads, but some small indicator that won't break the immersion, like an asterisk.  Just an idea

Or like three dots

2 hours ago, bool said:

I personally don't think this is necessary, for many great reasons listed prior to my post who are also against this suggestion. 

This is the best reason.

I'd prefer having that over if the person's typing or not, since then you can actually tell if he's afk or not. I do believe there is a call function in the RageMP API to detect if the game is in focus or not (don't quote me on that one since I am not familiar with the API)

Edited by Vash Baldeus