Completely ban /flipcoin and /roll roleplay.

CYCOSOCIAL

What it says on the tin. Although in some situations I find /flipcoin and /roll roleplay to be somewhat acceptable, 99% of the time it's used for people who want a 50% chance of doing something absolutely herculean (fighting off six people holding them down, shrugging off a taser, pushing a gun out of their face, etc) so that they can then complain when you don't go along with it. Make a rule that specifically states doing this is unacceptable. 

This specifically relates to using /flipcoin and /roll to influence another players actions, obviously. Don't have any problem with using it for your own RP.

Edited by CYCOSOCIAL
  • Upvote 2

I mean- Rules already disallow you forcing RP unto others. This shouldn't need to be a rule.

I'm in agreement with the statement, but in disagreement that it should be made a rule- Flipcoin, roll and /rps should ONLY be used if they're being used for actual IC means (Actually flipping a coin IC or w/e)  or if all parties agree OOC to use it to settle who wins or loses

• Upvote 2

Entirely disagree with the title suggestion. Report the players power-gaming. Flipcoin/rolling is a way many people like to bring a level of chance and randomness to there RP which can make it more dynamic, and tbh, if someone is going to RP something out of the ordinary, but there character is skilled and would be able to do it, flipcoining or rolling helps bring the OPPOSITE and stops powergaming as it adds that level of failure to the action.

I do agree with your final point however, chance/flipcoin depending on if its an action AGAINST someone is more of a murky area and could be a slippery slop that limits a huge portion of unique RP if these were removed, but i mean...if you are talking about fighting RP in general a lot of people just punch spam, it's nice to see the rare times people actually stop to RP fights properly with /mes and such.

There is also the semi newish "/chance" which would work the same way, I have never really in my 3+ years being here ever seen people abusing the flipcoin/roll/chance to powergame actions that wouldn't be at least in the realms of realism.

• Upvote 2

Yeah, it's stupid. I've had people come up to me in a public place and use /flipcoin as an excuse to push me off my vehicle and steal it over a dozen times in the past 2 weeks. Whenever I deny their stupidity they proceed to get extremely mad that I refuse to respect the flipcoin trolling. That's all I've seen it used for - trolling. "but I rolled heads on resisting 8 deputies!!!" "but i rolled heads on pushing you off your motorcycle and hopping on it and driving off!!!" "but I rolled heads in punching you in the head and knocking u out so I can steal everything on ur person!!!" It's very silly. Can't name a single time I've seen it used in a serious situation where it's made sense. It'd be great if this was written into the powergaming rules section just stating you can't force people to agree with coinflips over them.

3 minutes ago, vortus said:

Yeah, it's stupid. I've had people come up to me in a public place and use /flipcoin as an excuse to push me off my vehicle and steal it over a dozen times in the past 2 weeks. Whenever I deny their stupidity they proceed to get extremely mad that I refuse to respect the flipcoin trolling. That's all I've seen it used for - trolling. "but I rolled heads on resisting 8 deputies!!!" "but i rolled heads on pushing you off your motorcycle and hopping on it and driving off!!!" "but I rolled heads in punching you in the head and knocking u out so I can steal everything on ur person!!!" It's very silly. Can't name a single time I've seen it used in a serious situation where it's made sense. It'd be great if this was written into the powergaming rules section just stating you can't force people to agree with coinflips over them.

Report them then. I use chance and roll to determine whether my char is klumsy or not. Cause nobody is perfect. If there is a chance I won't manage to bring 6 empty glasses back because of lack of experience. I will use a random factor to determine the success or failure.

• Upvote 3

Sometimes when people roleplay together in a clique or a group or in a bubble, people can develop (especially if new) bad rp habits that permeate throughout the group. This is what I suspect has happened here. 

I've never seen flipcoin or roll be used to powergame, normally it is used for someone to add randomness to themselves. Example:

Bob *Comes up from behind and tries to knock John's hat off.*
John flipcoins.
Tails *John hat flies off and he glares at Bob annoyed.*
Head *John spots Bob and grabs hold of his head and hat, he glares at Bob annoyed.*

Edited by Natala
  • Upvote 3
10 minutes ago, Engelbert said:

Report them then. I use chance and roll to determine whether my char is klumsy or not. Cause nobody is perfect. If there is a chance I won't manage to bring 6 empty glasses back because of lack of experience. I will use a random factor to determine the success or failure.

That's not what the OP is asking. Nobody gives a shit if you use /flipcoin to decide if you drop the platter of food you're taking to a table, we're asking for a rule change so a 14 year old boy can't resist 8 deputies and technically be in a grey area because there's no clarification on whether it is PG or not.

• Upvote 2