Importance of cheaters in a rp community

Fabulous

All software is consistently developed, especially malicious software. As someone who works as a software engineer, the lifecycle of these things do not end once it's initially developed. Things are constantly changing, updating and new exploits to any system will be constantly found. It's one thing to say to ban all cheaters, but how do you develop measures that are not too draconian and tank user experiences and game performance -- while also making sure that the largest net is cast to catch people using exploits. It's a tough issue and one that a majority of software related businesses struggle with every single day. 

You can only hope that through constant development of your own platform's security tools, community dialogue, and good faith to catch as many people as you can. Otherwise you would need to hire a dedicated security team that looks into and manages all security aspects of World -- which even a majority of companies today lack the proper departments to do this.

Edited by CowboyYoda22
4 hours ago, Moonsong said:

Do I need to mention the wiggle that changed Tarkov forever? 😄 And how people said "There's no way the cheating is that bad", never say never lmao.

Seriously though, you're probably right. Even as an admin I don't think I ever encountered an actual cheater (it happens of course), but I also don't think GTAWs anti-cheat measures are as foolproof as they're claimed to be either, there's wiggle room on either side.

I also agree that cheaters should be instantly banned for a lengthy period of time, but people do change, mature and grow out of destructive habbits. There has to be at least some room to allow for that, if they reoffend after being unbanned? Then yeah throw away the key for good.

Would've helped the case if you linked said video:

For those of you who dislike stimulating their brains and learn something: His study showcased an approximate ~50% of players were using hacks of some sort. Cheating is very much an issue 

• Applaud 1
1 hour ago, Mythology said:

For those of you who dislike stimulating their brains and learn something: His study showcased an approximate ~50% of players were using hacks of some sort. Cheating is very much an issue 

I was hoping people would get the reference without linking to the vid, I guess I was right lol! But yeah, this went completely undetected for so long and I questioned so many of my bullshit deaths but I was always gaslit and told 'skill issue'. I don't think it's as bad a problem on GTAW, but it's likely there's some cheating that's going under the radar because it's difficult to detect.

Edited by Moonsong

Ngl if it wasn't as easy to cheat (not really THAT easy to my knowledge, but all it takes is for someone who knows the how-to and shares it around...) we wouldn't have as many cheaters. It happens because it can happen...

If ban evading wasn't so easy you'd see a LOT of these to quit doing it (and many other things).

There are whole discord servers dedicated to this or channels in unofficial servers just like there are for evading, property flipping, OOC asset transfers, and anything you can think of. It's not easy to moderate and from what I've gathered not that easy to fight from the development side (?)

There's only so much devs can do before it becomes a hassle for everyone and people quit because they cba to deal with the consequences of having a bunch that shouldn't be trusted with an internet connection.

• Applaud 1
14 hours ago, pateuvasiliu said:

Bro what. If even 1 char got cked because of hackers that's unforgivable. Imagine losing a character developed over years to a CK app made by a dude with aim hack.

If you know they were cheating, report them, they get banned and your CK gets lifted. Again, to be clear I'm not in any way commending cheaters.

1 hour ago, Sebz said:

If you know they were cheating, report them, they get banned and your CK gets lifted. Again, to be clear I'm not in any way commending cheaters.

Maybe you don't have proof of it, though. So now you're putting the onus on the person who got killed by a hacker to defend himself instead of just banning the hacker on the spot.

7 hours ago, Engelbert said:

I still dunno why people cheat on a roleplaying server. There's literally nothing to gain from it here. It's all about stories.

people will cheat for that upper hand in faction wars and shootouts in general. especially if they got dog shit aim. 

• Upvote 1
10 hours ago, Mythology said:

a game with 110k+ daily players is not comparable to some niche server with under 1000

• Applaud 1