Are Police/SD/Judicial becoming power drunk?

Tmthn678

Does the server require a form of Police/SD/Law Enforcement Reform? (IC and OOC)  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Yes Or No - Please only post constructive responses.

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

Hello everyone,  I want to make something clear for myself & those who respond on this thread. This thread is meant to be a DISCUSSION, NOT a faction bashing thread. At no point will that be tolerated in here or has a place in this community.

I'd like to bring a definition to everyone's attention. 

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/drunk-with-power

Source:  Drunk with power. DRUNK WITH POWER definition | Cambridge English Dictionary. (n.d.). https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/drunk-with-power. Accessed June 5th, 2023.

Myself, and many others, have seen on multiple instances within the last month, police/SD/DA (Judicial) becoming overly eager to exercise their powers on multiple players. In addition, what they do, in my opinion, violates the corruption rule, and borderline is unrealistic portrayal as it seems they're trying to portray hard balled police officers from TV shows & movies such as Cop Land, Bad Lieutenant, Blue Bloods, End Of Watch, & The Departed. I feel this stems from them having a degree of OOC protection from server rules & an overall script advantage (Cops being able to spawn weapons every time they die, having no real consequences to death, and having the ability to carry over 500 ammo which I have seen on many screens), and their obviously perceived power over other players.

I have seen this mentality seep into an OOC state of mind as well with many officers ordering other players around in /b or attempting to control scenes on an OOC level.

Examples of this would be, including, but not limited to;

- Officers threatening to seize a car over dark tints because they did not like the player was swearing at them ICly.

- Police officers slamming an individual against a car and cuffing them, causing them to have a seizure and then telling everyone they slipped, then leaving without any bit of follow up RP to the player in fear of being caught being corrupt.

- A DA threatening to have "secret LSSD gangs" seize all of their assets if they don't plead guilty. (Not-so-secret gangs anymore).

- Officers insisting a player is cuffed or uncuffed when they forgot to type a /me.

-A DA reporting individuals because they would not provide OOC information that could lead to metagame. 

- Officers with a very limited understanding of the US Legal system & attempting to deny individuals of their rights to a lawyer and questioning prior to an arrest.

-Officers losing a suspect of a major crime in a chase, and instead arresting anyone who stands in their path as a result of perceived frustration.

- Tasing players for simply walking up and yelling at a criminal scene. 

- Refusing blame for car accidents that were obviously a result of their driving and or desynch and accusing other players of it, going so far to arrest or ticket them for it.

-Not roleplaying crashes during pursuits, ramming others out of their way. (You can not deny you haven't seen this one)

-Ability to unlock any car they wish at any time without keys. (I understand this is necessary ONCE IN A BLUE MOON, but an admin can be called for those situations)

Often times, as a result of these impulsive knee jerk reactions, I have seen officers arrest the wrong players, and let individuals who just committed murder walk free, as opposed to doing a thorough job, and not going simply with arresting the person of least resistance. Again, I believe this is a result of what I mentioned prior, a sort of haze induced by the individuals power and authority on an OOC level, unable to see past their short-sighted actions.

The sad reality is, many players would rather not play at this point than roleplay with many of these police officers as the experience with them has been that bad. I have known personally at least 3 players who have quit the server or scaled back playing as a result of this.

I know this thread may come across as harsh or bashing, that is not my intention, overall, it is the intention to start a discussion about something that's not talked about openly, but is a silent resentment amongst many individuals, both in the legal and illegal RP scene.  I'd like to hear other's thoughts on this and potential solutions.

I begin a great way to start would be harsher penalties for abuse of power, including permanent faction kicks/bans, and a more difficult application process. In addition, removing some of the unrealistic power from officers, such as the ability to carry 500+ rounds of ammunition on them (This could not possibly be done in real life, most officers carry 2-3 spare magazines of 15 rounds with them on their belt, so 45 rounds tops). Also, in today's day and age, police/LE oversight is at an all time high. I myself work in law enforcement in real life and can testify to the amount of oversight we have, in addition to the amount of public critics. I believe this would fit well into GTA World's environment.

Reminder, please do NOT turn this into a faction or player bashing thread. Thank you!

EDIT: Please do not just reply with "IC Issue" - My point of bringing this discussion up is to show that it's seeping into an OOC level & unrealistic portrayal level as whole. In addition, many individuals have very little faith in the IA process.
Edited by Tmthn678
  • Upvote 2

To add to your list, I had an officer threaten to add three charges to what I was being arrested for if my character didn't sign a sheet saying they were a gang affiliate, with several other officers standing around the two of us. It's insanity lol

(To clarify, this character isn't part of any faction or affiliated with any criminal organizations at all. I would have had an extra week in jail for nothing)

Most of these are IC issues and you know what you should do? Deal with it ICly. Most people in SD has some corruption perms automatically and i dunno about PD but probably there too. Dunno about PR/Sanfire either but yknow, if a cop fucks with you? end the threat.

• Upvote 2
Just now, Anders said:

Most of these are IC issues and you know what you should do? Deal with it ICly. Most people in SD has some corruption perms automatically and i dunno about PD but probably there too. Dunno about PR/Sanfire either but yknow, if a cop fucks with you? end the threat.

While I do agree with the 'deal with it IC card.' I'm not sure if you've seen the weeks of waiting on courts to process things. Most people take a guilty plea over waiting ages if they can't afford bail, which leaves the system a bit more trippy.

• Upvote 2

If someone roleplays a seizure well uh..they didn't 'cause' it, someone chose to roleplay it to try to worm themselves out of trouble. If someone walks up to a crime scene and starts yelling, that's a case of fuck around and find out. Like these examples I cherry picked the vast majority of these are 100% IC issues to me.

That said, the only point that has any merit is cops not roleplaying crashes during chases and their driving etiquette in general can be as bad as truckers. Having said that, the thread in general seems much more like a personal grudge than anything else.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Anders said:

I would beg to differ with you that this issue has seeped into the OOC realm, though I do respect your opinion and appreciate the viewpoint, however, it seems most of SD are now taking these corruption perms to the brim.

My only experience with SANFIRE is having one of their agents make a false 911 call on me (And metagaming my name) because I upset their IC boyfriend....

• Upvote 1
Just now, Moonsong said:

If someone roleplays a seizure well uh..they didn't 'cause' it, someone chose to roleplay it to try to worm themselves out of trouble. If someone walks up to a crime scene and starts yelling, that's a case of fuck around and find out. Like these examples I cherry picked the vast majority of these are 100% IC issues to me.

That said, the only point that has any merit is cops not roleplaying crashes during chases and their driving etiquette in general can be as bad as truckers. Having said that, the thread in general seems much more like a personal grudge than anything else.

Apologize that this will cause a double post, however, I've only been arrested once on my current character that I've had for some time now, and it was something that was 100% my own choice and my own doing. I've either been let go, evaded, or tricked (ICly) officers multiple times, that I've actually had many decent personal experiences with them, these are all grievances I've heard from others, or witnessed as a third party.

• Anubis locked this topic