Where do you find literate writers and roleplay, and why is it a stigma?

On 5/24/2023 at 2:43 PM, starcaller said:

Hello, hello - a friend and I have been wondering why extensively written emotes, literate descriptions, and overall, literacy in GTAW is somewhat frowned upon(at least in our experience). We've sort of established that while GTA is a more fast-paced environment, and we understand that meticulous writing isn't everyone's cup of tea, we can't quite comprehend why are the players who indulge in it frowned upon. This is a recurring thing on our side, where the majority of people genuinely avoid other roleplayers who like writing with passion and substance - I've got plenty of screenshots of people's reactions when it comes to them encountering well-written sentences with more complicated words, but I'll just go with a singular one that is taken by my friend, and is a few days old, and perfectly captures what I'm on about. 

TG0uChh.png

We've been scouring the city specifically for avid writers, and we've only found a /few/ out of the hundreds of people that are on the server. So, we sort of decided to try our luck on the forums - we're on the lookout for similar entities like ourselves, ones who enjoy a good back-and-forth exchange of words.(We're wanting to convene with other people who enjoy prose and shape a little community. If the server can't hand us down what we want, we'll try to make it ourselves. Get in touch via PMs or discord and we'll take it from there, we're creative!) Also, we're curious to hear other people's takes on this - are we doing the wrong thing here, searching for substance in writing when it comes to composing intricate and compelling storylines for our characters whilst we don't focus on the actual gameplay aspects, or are we simply failing to come upon these gems hidden in the community? As someone who comes from WoW roleplay, I can tell that GTA RP isn't the best breeding ground for these adventures and literary works, but since I've encountered similar people, I know they exist, but I'm really curious about other opinions. I see a lot of people who struggle with storytelling and narratives, and since I come from a place where these things prove crucial for the quality of roleplay and the overall state of it, are these things considered an issue for GTA, even though it is a /writing/ game?

It's not a writing game, it's a roleplaying game, and furthermore that sentence is wonky and does not even grammatically make sense.

Edited by Big Hitta
21 minutes ago, starcaller said:

But it is a roleplaying game that is based entirely on writing? 

and why, exactly, does writing NEED to be constantly descriptive? well written books, by modern standards, are not just paragraph after paragraph of description. there is  a reason why novels written in that style, like a lot of victorian literature, are becoming less popular. its an archaic style. if you don't break up the description the reader stops paying attention. short /me's and punchy dialogue, when appropriate, can be significantly more impactful than paragrpah after paragraph. 

good writers/roleplayers, to me, know when flowery language is impactful and when it becomes lethargic. 

10 minutes ago, mr. baller said:

who gives a shit fellas

The OP does. I do. And avid writers do.

The entire purpose of this thread was to discuss why this stuff is stigmatized. And not only that, but more importantly, to possibly find other players who play with the same style. Clearly this way of thinking is opposed. I don't understand how or why, but certainly people take it offensively. This way of playing comes naturally, I suppose, to a certain demographic - the original demographic of roleplayers. This entire idea of "RP isn't writing", or even the ways in which people /do/ write these days, is something entirely new and not exactly proving to be helpful.

/me looks through the glove compartment. (WHAT DO THEY FIND?!)

Fuck, man, I was gonna' write what you'd see anyways... Chill out...

/me handcuffs the man. (RESIST OR NOT?!)

Fuck, dude... How about you let me write and you'll see?

Again, it's painfully obvious to me that the quickened sense of "let me have my cake now" is entirely the source of so many problems on GTAW. And these problems are nothing new. The RP community at large has been dealing with this for as long as MUD, or HL2RP. Even now, there's threads that beg the question "How can we make Character Deaths better?" -- it's fucking obvious. Write well. Respect the player by providing them with story.

"Why is LCN RP stigmatized?" -- fucking obvious. If it was full of verbose writers and slow-burning storytellers, you wouldn't have that problem. How about not writing /me hands package of money. -- Like, God. Get a grip.

"Yeah, Davis is full of stupid people." Yeah, no shit. Why do people say that? Oh, maybe it's because the average reading level is akin to kindergarten.

People, somehow, think that by acknowledging the fact that this is a writing game, it eliminates all sense of ownership over how they're perceived. Coupled with the design of GTAW, prowess is depicted in those who have assets and power in factions (ie: access to more assets). By admitting to the fact that a good vocabulary and sense to tell a story is of higher value than all of that? It becomes personal. That's the real issue here. Now, I understand that communities like these, and other RP platforms provide a sense of belonging. Yet, in how that belonging is approached and what it truly means? Well, that's what we have to ask ourselves.

Personally, I'd rather be apart of a community that supports a timeless skill and harbors one of Earth's most favored pass-times: storytelling. 

And I guess I gotta' be the one that says it? But... Sure, "good" writing can be subjective -- but it needs to have at least a standard to enter the debate of what's right or wrong.

The sad part of all this, is that, for those of you who don't believe that "paragraph writing" or even the act of putting effort into learning vocabulary, expression, and so forth is of any practical use... Just wait. Wait until you are shot in the face, for the hundredth time. Wait until you have all the money, the guns, the cars. Then, sit there, twiddling your thumbs... Still unsatisfied. Eventually, you might come to the realization that you were chasing the wrong thing. That, after all, the experience you had /was/ the point. And, maybe, just maybe, you should have put a tiny bit of effort into your writing. Because, no matter how much you try or wail, or hate it... That chatbox is all there is. That's the game, right there.

• Upvote 3
  • Applaud 1
34 minutes ago, starcaller said:

But it is a roleplaying game that is based entirely on writing? 

Shooting and driving aren't based on writing.

This roleplaying game includes those.

Therefore this roleplaying game is not based entirely on writing.

I don't know why you think stating a falsehood and then putting a question mark after it makes you right?

It is silly nonsense.

9 minutes ago, Vice_ said:

The entire purpose of this thread was to discuss why this stuff is stigmatized. And not only that, but more importantly, to possibly find other players who play with the same style. Clearly this way of thinking is opposed. I don't understand how or why, but certainly people take it offensively. This way of playing comes naturally, I suppose, to a certain demographic - the original demographic of roleplayers. This entire idea of "RP isn't writing", or even the ways in which people /do/ write these days, is something entirely new and not exactly proving to be helpful.

Again, it's painfully obvious to me that the quickened sense of "let me have my cake now" is entirely the source of so many problems on GTAW. And these problems are nothing new. The RP community at large has been dealing with this for as long as MUD, or HL2RP. Even now, there's threads that beg the question "How can we make Character Deaths better?" -- it's fucking obvious. Write well. Respect the player by providing them with story.

"Why is LCN RP stigmatized?" -- fucking obvious. If it was full of verbose writers and slow-burning storytellers, you wouldn't have that problem. How about not writing /me hands package of money. -- Like, God. Get a grip.

"Yeah, Davis is full of stupid people." Yeah, no shit. Why do people say that? Oh, maybe it's because the average reading level is akin to kindergarten.

People, somehow, think that by acknowledging the fact that this is a writing game, it eliminates all sense of ownership over how they're perceived. Coupled with the design of GTAW, prowess is depicted in those who have assets and power in factions (ie: access to more assets). By admitting to the fact that a good vocabulary and sense to tell a story is of higher value than all of that? It becomes personal. That's the real issue here. Now, I understand that communities like these, and other RP platforms provide a sense of belonging. Yet, in how that belonging is approached and what it truly means? Well, that's what we have to ask ourselves.

Personally, I'd rather be apart of a community that supports a timeless skill and harbors one of Earth's most favored pass-times: storytelling. 

And I guess I gotta' be the one that says it? But... Sure, "good" writing can be subjective -- but it needs to have at least a standard to enter the debate of what's right or wrong.

The sad part of all this, is that, for those of you who don't believe that "paragraph writing" or even the act of putting effort into learning vocabulary, expression, and so forth is of any practical use... Just wait. Wait until you are shot in the face, for the hundredth time. Wait until you have all the money, the guns, the cars. Then, sit there, twiddling your thumbs... Still unsatisfied. Eventually, you might come to the realization that you were chasing the wrong thing. That, after all, the experience you had /was/ the point. And, maybe, just maybe, you should have put a tiny bit of effort into your writing. Because, no matter how much you try or wail, or hate it... That chatbox is all there is. That's the game, right there.

I wanna rp with this person based of this paragraph alone 

Edited by el capo
  • Upvote 1
14 minutes ago, Vice_ said:

O, high and powerful Wise One, tell us more about what is obvious to you but obscure to us, so that we may rejoice in your wisdom.

• Upvote 1
  • Applaud 1
22 minutes ago, Vice_ said:

you can type all you want when someone rps handcuffing you, but all it does is serve to stall a scene that should take 5 minutes tops into an ordeal that could be 15=20 mins. respectfully i aint reading all that and that's my right. find people who like longer emotes and rp with them, don't subject every random person you meet to paragraphs on paragraphs of how your skin glistens in the sun or how the light bounces off your crystal blue eyes, cause respectfully, most people don't give a shit.

it's not so much a stigma as it is people just not wanting to deal with a basic interaction taking 20 minutes cause someone wants to flex their vocabulary and literary skills on someone from across the globe who probably doesn't speak english as a first language

Edited by mr. baller
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1