Ways To Make Character Deaths More Impactful

1 hour ago, Mecovy said:

there are so so so many dead bodies im sorry, I'm not gonna react to each one. If you want death to carry weight, people need to stop having shootouts constantly. 

cant use the "realism" argument when the murder rate 10x's even what El Salvador could produce.

If we had a permadeath server you'd see heck of a lot less crime.

You die? Cool, you lose all your shit and start over.

Generally I roleplay around bodies as ‘oh they must just be drunk or maybe passed out’.

Given Los Santos’ crime rate, I generally roleplay any reaction to a death infront of my character not in emotional turmoil if its a PK. Cause lets face it, im not gonna roleplay my character falling into a depression about it cause he might end up standing next to the same person who PKed in a bar an hour later.

But, will always roleplay CKs having a more profound, lasting impact on my character. If they were simply a patient and there was a chance they could be helped. It’ll hit him, quite a bit. But, if its someone close, then you bet your butt he’s gonna have a somewhat difficult time. My character is an ex-Firefighter and current Fire Marshal, generally he’s a little bit desensitised to your everyday body. But, it doesn’t make him immune or numb to seeing things.

Edited by Jorgensen
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Coburn said:

If we had a permadeath server you'd see heck of a lot less crime.

You die? Cool, you lose all your shit and start over.

I’ve suggested this but everyone’s too terrified of losing their precious money…or sorry, I mean their “characters”

Edited by NickyW
5 hours ago, NickyW said:

I’ve suggested this but everyone’s too terrified of losing their precious money…or sorry, I mean their “characters”

yeah cause part of me just has that feeling if its pushed criminals will just ck on robberies and the slightest challenge will still end up in a shooting ck drama fest. it'll cause a whole league of its own problems, although i get the idea of adding a great weight to death to make it very much a last resort. 

Edited by Mecovy
On 5/21/2023 at 8:35 PM, Koko said:

I'm an EMT for FD. Someone RPing a female (M) character the other day called 911 in a panic because they'd seen someone die in front of them and we responded for her having a panic attack and also having lost her inhaler in the commotion. A lovely call, very human, and it was during low call volume hours so we could take our time RPing together.

... If this call happened every 20 minutes, I'd resign in a heartbeat.

I think that was me LOL. 

But yeah, it's really hard not to be desensitized to bodies when people are murdering each other so much. At peak hours there's corpses everywhere.

Edited by vortus
  • Blackzjack changed the title to Ways To Make Character Deaths More Impactful
18 hours ago, Mecovy said:

yeah cause part of me just has that feeling if its pushed criminals will just ck on robberies and the slightest challenge will still end up in a shooting ck drama fest. it'll cause a whole league of its own problems, although i get the idea of adding a great weight to death to make it very much a last resort. 

PK's should be replaced with incapacitations that require medical assistance or an hour in NPC hospital, and CK's mean a complete wipe of assets.

That way, not only does medical RP get a boost, but people won't be able to PK to avoid death. Deaths will become far less, and when deaths do happen, they'll be far more meaningful.

• Upvote 1

There is also another elephant in the room here as far as what causes so many PKs on the server; the rules revolving around headshots.

When you're in a shootout, aiming for the head is a reflexive action because in gameplay it'll drop your opponent faster. But this effectively forces everyone to become a wannabe sharpshooter that constantly goes for killshots. Paired with the headshot rule, this kind of... funnels people into PK territory.

It might be time to re-evaluate how much we take headshots IC.

This has already been commented on and I know it probably will never happen but I fully support it.

If you die? You lose that character slot until you delete your character and create a new one, losing all of your assets.
We have people that get their character killed and start new characters with 6 mil, in the bank, unrealistic and makes Character kills feel like nothing since you can always build your new character around all that money and your precious assets.

Another great idea would be to introduce a script where every Character killed body left on the streets is interactable. By pressing "Y" you are able to see in detail this body's injuries and any noticeable clues on the body. (Blue neck, blue wrists, signs of strangling, signs of rope used for restraints, stab wounds, shots, etc.)  That way It'll add more meaning to CK's, as LSPD would be allowed to investigate further, creating more RP for police and more risk for illegal role-players as they have a bigger chance of getting caught.

Again this only adds more work for the admins that are barely able to keep up at the moment, as they'll have to check the player's "body description" before they CK him and set the script in motion for other players to see.

I feel like character kills should be looked at in a different way and treated with more than just a /report CK this guy aka Faction CK aka we got CK app approved. Oh yeah done, bye now.

Edited by taytay