The Mask Epidemic

The Mask Epidemic  

959 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 hours ago, The Plug said:

you keep talking like there’s a fucking consensus among the entire server that this is good. There isn’t. Y’all are the only ones who want this shit. The overwhelming majority of illegal RPers do not.

y’all basically said if you don’t stop getting robbed there’s gonna be no legal RPers. I don’t understand how the fuck you can get robbed multiple times. You see a car full of 4 masked ppl spinning and you stand outside. Get in a fucking car and drive off or go inside, it’s pretty simple. 

There doesn't need to be a consensus. This isn't a democracy. These rules were set in place and Nervous has repeatedly explained that they aren't going to removed without an alternative that works for the community at large. Just because a group of people on the forums don't like them and refuse to provide a realistic alternative doesn't mean your input is now suddenly to be taken seriously.

Again, all you're doing in this thread is continuously repeating your dislike for the rules in place. We already know this. You're not bringing anything new to the table. We've had these arguments dozens of times before you decided to grace us with your input in this next round of useless forum arguing. When are you going to seriously engage with this topic? Instead of just going back and forth and getting this thread locked, why don't we start now? In order for this to be resolved, there needs to be a solution to the following problem:

Simply allowing vehicles to be used in robberies revives the meta where you can roll up in a group of 2+ to literally anyone walking around in the city, and through the use of the powergaming rule, instantly put anyone in a position where they either surrender their possessions or be reported for powergaming (not roleplaying fear). 

Now, this is the part where you come up with a solution that allows the use of vehicles, and doesn't revive this meta. No more complaining about groups of people, legal roleplayers, illegal roleplayers, mallrats, grudges, or whatever keeps being conjured up. Just address the actual issue for once. 

The Plug talking that shit! A lot of people do be up here like it's IMVU, which is kinda insane. The rules also kinda limit illegal RP, which is why it be 1k people online and Davis be somewhat bland.

7 hours ago, The Plug said:

you keep talking like there’s a fucking consensus among the entire server that this is good.

It's a settled fact, whether people understand it or not, that car robberies have killed an entire server when allowed. It did a pretty hefty dent in the population of our remaining server too, which is why the rule was implemented to begin with. Two experiments were conducted and both conclusively demonstrated with consistently similar outcomes, that allowing it would effectively destroy the server population to a point of, if unchecked, outright killing the server entirely.

You're not wrong, there isn't a consensus, and that's because there's a section of the criminal community that literally can't understand this. Literally impossible. It could be explained with crayons and actual, real-time demonstrations, and they would legit still insist that they should be allowed to land the plane. Doesn't matter that they don't have flight experience, doesn't matter that they don't understand the actual facts of what they're discussing... they want to do it because THEY say that "a majority of the community supports this stance."

1 hour ago, The Plug said:

If they're spinning past or they stop near you, anybody would understand IRL or IC that you should run. 

This is actually against the rules. If you run, your character is opened to a CK pending a forum report, and you can and usually are punished for poor fear RP, which can lead to punishments as far as a ban if you've got a sufficient enough record.

On 3/19/2024 at 12:22 PM, 100 dollar bill said:

feel like it should be completely in-character, its not unrealistic or crazy to wear a mask around. philadelphia recently passed a law thats now banning ski masks due to it's excessive usage by urban teens, maybe los santos government can implement that? idk

A recurring point in this discussion is that it's not possible. The same approach was taken with weed legalization, and that was shut down so hard that it killed server interest in politics for a good long while. Like, legit, most of the community was onboard with taking it IC, and then someone behind the scenes said "nah" and weed legalization was shut down through OOC means.

Same thing applies to any future criminalization/legalization efforts. Try getting rifles made legal, with open carry. You won't get far. 

31 minutes ago, mj2002 said:

Just address the actual issue for once. 

Never gonna' happen.

Why's this thread being hijacked? This is about wearing masks in public spaces for which an IC law could easily be created if its not held back by your usual admin intervention.

Why we derailing and talking about car robberies? Respectfully, make your own thread.

• Upvote 2
28 minutes ago, Martyn said:

Why's this thread being hijacked? This is about wearing masks in public spaces for which an IC law could easily be created if its not held back by your usual admin intervention.

Why we derailing and talking about car robberies? Respectfully, make your own thread.

Funny enough, there still is one, and nobody has refuted the argument about how permitting "in the moment" vehicular robberies, without admin intervention, destroyed an entire server known as "GTAW: Liberty City".

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, DLimit said:

Funny enough, there still is one, and nobody has refuted the argument about how permitting "in the moment" vehicular robberies, without admin intervention, destroyed an entire server known as "GTAW: Liberty City".

i think its a bit disingenuous to pin gtaw:lc dying on that. more so happened because it was laggy as fuck FPS wise, was touted as being a hardcore illegal roleplay utopia and was ran with completely different administrating methods

civilians generally do show a ridiculous lack of situational awareness though - either intentionally or unintentionally... and because of that i dont think implementing more restrictions on illegal roleplayers is the way to go. instead start severely punishing bad apples and show the server shitty p2w players who revolve their rp around provoking conflicts through robberies  wont be tolerated 

there arent any server alternatives lol if u start dishing out month long bans to the characters who only log into the game to mug or harass people then that behavior will soon stop

Edited by realitysurf
48 minutes ago, realitysurf said:

i think its a bit disingenuous to pin gtaw:lc dying on that. more so happened because it was laggy as fuck FPS wise, was touted as being a hardcore illegal roleplay utopia and was ran with completely different administrating methods

civilians generally do show a ridiculous lack of situational awareness though - either intentionally or unintentionally... and because of that i dont think implementing more restrictions on illegal roleplayers is the way to go. instead start severely punishing bad apples and show the server shitty p2w players who revolve their rp around provoking conflicts through robberies  wont be tolerated 

there arent any server alternatives lol if u start dishing out month long bans to the characters who only log into the game to mug or harass people then that behavior will soon stop

I can assure you, the civilian population left, within a month, due to the mass-amount of robberies. I was the leader of one of the longest-lasting criminal orgs on L.C., and was there to witness it's demise when the server only had 10 players.

"There arent any server alternatives lol if u start dishing out month long bans to the characters who only log into the game to mug or harass people then that behavior will soon stop"

I agree.

Edited by DLimit

I would rather there be in game and in character repercussions instead of crying about it OOCly. It should be taken to the Government, or the Police, not an Admin just because you don't know who they are or what they're going to do. Majority of the time, yes, it is meant for criminal use. But what of the other 3% of people that just wear masks because they're cold or they don't like showing their face around. It could even be potentially for an outbreak of disease. *wink wink, nudge nudge* The point I'm trying to make is, is if we do make this an OOC issue, it'll have OOC repercussions. For everyone. Masks aren't the leading cause of death in LS, and I don't think it ever will be. 

43 minutes ago, ANGELS4EVER70 said:

I would rather there be in game and in character repercussions instead of crying about it OOCly.

The last time we tried to approach an issue with IC legislation (weed legalization), it was shut down, ironically, by a certain section of the community crying about it OOCly.

We need a bulletproof guarantee that it will be completely, irreversibly impossible to OOCly stop an IC resolution of this perceived issue of masked individuals being too prominent. Otherwise? It just can't be "Fix it IC."

59 minutes ago, DasFroggy said:

The last time we tried to approach an issue with IC legislation (weed legalization), it was shut down, ironically, by a certain section of the community crying about it OOCly.

We need a bulletproof guarantee that it will be completely, irreversibly impossible to OOCly stop an IC resolution of this perceived issue of masked individuals being too prominent. Otherwise? It just can't be "Fix it IC."

But then that just excuses the fact that it's a fair trial amongst everyone in the community. Some people would rather Masks be worn, same as some people enjoying Marijuana IC. If you just say "Fuck it", and proceed about it in an OOC way, and you win, you basically give ammunition to whoever has a problem with a certain something in the way that it'll just mold RP into something specific friend groups with admin power will be. 

It needs to be fair for EVERYONE in the community, rather than just the people that are disgruntled. I understand it's a oddly weird thing to argue about, butI do see a lot of people wearing masks in the server. MY THING IS let them be there own person. If what you're doing is showing a disapproval or a disconcert, then it has to do with you rather than the people that are innocent in the matter, or are promoting the usage of masks in the server by wearing one themselves. For you, and for whoever else is against the masks, to state that you need a surefire way of getting rid of this situation, by fixing it OOCly first, is just insanely oblivious to the potential of RP in which you actually had to do something in order for the wheels to start rolling. It's not a matter of who's doing what, it's what you're doing that makes or breaks it. 

That's atleast how I see it.