The Mask Epidemic

The Mask Epidemic  

959 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, Narco said:

But will they actually make the changes happen? I mean there’s people with 6 evading charges on their record and they somehow still have the ability to get a drivers license a few days later due to the laws. I really think you guys need to go over the laws and start enforcing harsher punishments on repeat offenders, and bringing back the death penalty seeing as there’s people literally committing murders on the server and getting out a few days later, it almost feels like there’s no real consequences for players actions these days in an IC aspect for a state with an unimaginable crime / murder rate. There’s always the “reach out to the lawmakers / policymakers” argument although nothing has seemed to change for years and everything has seemingly remained stagnant. It’d really be nice to see some actual changes in the penal code.

I mean look at it, a prior convicted felon with a record gets arrested for having a firearm and literally gets out in 1 day if they plea guilty.. rinse and repeat does it again and has no consequences for their action, yes this is a roleplay server although it’s supposed to be held at a high standard, not to mention criminal points eventually just erase / expire for some odd reason. with our murder rate you would think firearm laws would be way more strict and someone would see actual time for a charge like this. 

This offense shall be liable under a Class C (5) felony punishable by no less than 1 Day and no more than 4 Days of imprisonment.

The vast majority of the penal code is formulated by a team of legally knowledgeable people which is then looked over by IFM and probably a council of illegal players. However we have done individual amendments to the penal code.

Keep in mind that as politicians, we have to keep in mind what will be favorable to our constituents. But that can also be overpowered if there’s strong push for an idea and a politician is essentially lobbied for it.

This is all IC and I refer anyone to my first post that I made here. 

Bottom line: I think this can be handled IC. People who are just wearing masks all day long LIKELY have bigger roleplay portrayal issues than that.

• Upvote 2
38 minutes ago, Zani said:

The vast majority of the penal code is formulated by a team of legally knowledgeable people which is then looked over by IFM and probably a council of illegal players. However we have done individual amendments to the penal code.

Keep in mind that as politicians, we have to keep in mind what will be favorable to our constituents. But that can also be overpowered if there’s strong push for an idea and a politician is essentially lobbied for it.

This is all IC and I refer anyone to my first post that I made here. 

Bottom line: I think this can be handled IC. People who are just wearing masks all day long LIKELY have bigger roleplay portrayal issues than that.

I understand that there’s a lot that goes behind the penal code although at the moment it seems highly unrealistic if you take into account the crime / murder rate on the server, there’s no way majority of the crimes would hold such light sentences. I really do think the penal code needs to be revised, I understand it has to be fair for players as it was brought up but when you have someone with 6 evading arrests charges and they somehow have the ability to get a drivers license, or having a firearm by a felon and then getting out within a few hours? It just screams unrealistic. 

as for the mask issue, I do think that wearing a mask in certain areas should justify probable cause for a search, especially in known gang turfs etc. If you could provide us all with some information on how we could potentially get IC laws passed or the proper channels to go through to suggest laws it would be highly appreciated because during my entire time on the server not once have I ever been able to really find the proper individuals to bring ideas up to.

• Upvote 1

It should be handled IC, not OOC. By laws and the authority.  If you wear one around I'm just going to assume you're a bottom tier RPer. There really isn't anything else to it. Nobody who actually RPs in any decent circles wears that shit around and thinks it's normal lmao.

• Upvote 1

I agree, but you cannot make it an OOC rule because people will MG the fact that someone masked is going to commit a crime and act on it. The IC laws could be changed and if cops catch you masked ICly they have the right to detain you and ask questions and shit like that.

1 minute ago, Sumnik said:

We already know what kind of "roleplayers" wear them around in public and the quality of their RP. You're not convincing nobody lol.

So just to get this straight, we're going to set up global rules and laws that effect the illegal roleplay community because of a small group of irrelevant trolls that are already under heavy administrative scrutiny, universally rejected by established illegal groups, and do not represent the broad illegal roleplay community in any way shape or form? I could draw up childish comparisons with how every single field of roleplay on this server has their own group of idiots but I'd like to think that's pretty self explanatory. So is the stupidity of that way of thinking. 

1 minute ago, eTaylor said:

So just to get this straight, we're going to set up global rules and laws that effect the illegal roleplay community because of a small group of irrelevant trolls that are already under heavy administrative scrutiny, universally rejected by established illegal groups, and do not represent the broad illegal roleplay community in any way shape or form? I could draw up childish comparisons with how every single field of roleplay on this server has their own group of idiots but I'd like to think that's pretty self explanatory. So is the stupidity of that way of thinking. 

I already wrote above this should be handled ICly and not OOCly. I simply specified that the people wearing this fashion item are typically the lowest quality RPers anyway. And typically the kind to try reenacting Mogadishu in the 2000s. No decent illegal RPer will be masking his face casually like that.

The subjective reasoning of wearing a mask in character could be dealt with IC - maybe the character has some sort of phobia, getting sick, sick him/herself, just wears one to wear one. There is no law in reality that forbids you to wear a mask in public unless you commit a crime and then use a mask after the fact to hide your identity. A cop can pull up and ask you why you're wearing a mask and you have every right to tell them to fuck off or completely ignore them. It's suspicious? That a felony or misdemeanor? If they can not come up with valid reasoning, you should be able to go about your business.

Personally, I don't see anyone around Los Angeles wearing balaclavas or pooh masks. You see the occasional medical face masks and custom masks from a variety of different ethnicities and age groups. If the issue is IC, then the local law enforcement agency (if they have the problem) or if the civilian populace (if they have the problem) should bring the matter to the mayor's office or a politician. Make it a city ordinance to restrict masks or something for that matter.