OOC nicknames, profiles and pictures should be free of controversial topics

OOC nicknames, profiles and pictures should be free of controversial topics  

192 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I mean, clearly the people who already overly violate the username situation get punished. I don’t understand your point, though. If I were to play RuneScape, and my username be “DragonSlayer82”, what is the difference? I clearly know I’m not a part of the RuneScape lore IRL. Usernames are usernames, not a social security number, let people be creative it’s really not a big deal. 

• Upvote 4

To be clear, it's not a suggestion as such. Please elaborate on your opinion if you can as this is expressly meant to be a discussion. To add to my points, I also feel this could reduce toxicity between community members as a subconscious divide could easily start to exist between players that are portraying conflicting ideals. I think everyone who has roleplayed at least a while knows that some players get too taken by their character(s). Roleplay and other communities are hard to compare in this sense in my opinion, in roleplay people often get much more invested.

Just now, Triple Seven said:

As for it being a 'common trend': That doesn't mean that's a healthy development for any community.

No, I absolutely do have an issue with them. It's unhealthy in my opinion, but I respect your opinion on the matter of course. I just feel it would be healthy for the players to distinctly show they, as a player, are not supportive of the IC concept they portray. And no, that doesn't mean a player portraying white supremacy should have an antifa profile picture to prove themselves. It'd just be good to be more neutral and distant from the roleplayed concept.

How is it unhealthy? I can admit it's a little cringy, but it's a text on a screen and as others have said you can just ignore it. Which is sadly the exact opposite of what is happening, the report you linked is frankly bullshit. The dude was posting almost exclusively on the PENI and Aryan Brotherhood threads, someone had to go out of their way to find that profile and have an issue with it. It's not like he was forcing white supremist beliefs and Nazism down the communities throat.

Again, you don't even understand the RP concepts these players are trying to execute. You don't even know what they are really referencing, you just saw a WP reference and jumped to the conclusion that this person had nefarious intentions and must be a real life Nazi. It's sadly a reoccurring problem on GTAW, Mostly Europeans who don't understand Socal gangs getting frenzy because 1. They don't know this shit is incredible prevalent in SoCal and 2. jump to the conclusion that you have to be a bad person to even wanna RP something like that.

I've personally had people try to go after me for making prison gang references. People try to get you banned, your factions closed, etc. The sad part? The same people who did that eventually got to know me, realized I'm not some closeted Nazi and eventually even opened up to learning about these concepts after which they admitted they were totally wrong.

• Upvote 5

We might as well give the administrators our discord passwords and social security numbers if we're gonna police their discord accounts and keep a microscope over all the things Gta W players do.
If you want to punish people based on a discord profile picture (for example something related to a gang etc) you need to get off gtaw for your own sake and get a reality-check honestly.

• Upvote 8

Absolutely not for the simple reason that something being viewed as “controversial” is entirely subjective. Someone can literally take offense to anything. Anything related to the white gang scene could possibly be viewed as “Nazi symbolism” by some because they don’t understand it. If you get offended by someone’s name or profile picture, I think you need to consider staying off the internet. 

• Upvote 2

This server has a LOT of OOC racism on it and it really should start cracking down on it.

The amount of time I have seen 'gypsy' used in Server affiliated chats and discords ( which is a racist slur not unlike the N-word for the Romani people ) is off the charts.

Edited by pateuvasiliu
  • Upvote 2
24 minutes ago, Trupiano said:

How is it unhealthy? I can admit it's a little cringy, but it's a text on a screen and as others have said you can just ignore it. Which is sadly the exact opposite of what is happening, the report you linked is frankly bullshit. The dude was posting almost exclusively on the PENI and Aryan Brotherhood threads, someone had to go out of their way to find that profile and have an issue with it. It's not like he was forcing white supremist beliefs and Nazism down the communities throat.

Again, you don't even understand the RP concepts these players are trying to execute. You don't even know what they are really referencing, you just saw a WP reference and jumped to the conclusion that this person had nefarious intentions and must be a real life Nazi. It's sadly a reoccurring problem on GTAW, Mostly Europeans who don't understand Socal gangs getting frenzy because 1. They don't know this shit is incredible prevalent in SoCal and 2. jump to the conclusion that you have to be a bad person to even wanna RP something like that.

I've personally had people try to go after me for making prison gang references. People try to get you banned, your factions closed, etc. The sad part? The same people who did that eventually got to know me, realized I'm not some closeted Nazi and eventually even opened up to learning about these concepts after which they admitted they were totally wrong.

if the username had been blackandproud or hispanicandproud and exclusively posted neutral content on black or sureno set pages do u think they would have been banned too?

why was the individual actually banned?

• Upvote 3
28 minutes ago, Alys said:

If you want to punish people based on a discord profile picture (for example something related to a gang etc) you need to get off gtaw for your own sake and get a reality-check honestly.

• Wuhtah locked this topic