Cracking phones only for older models

Jeroen

Detailed Description

With the new /unlockphone coming for electronic suppliers, it wasn't stated how it'd be used. However I feel like this is majorly unbalanced. 

Modern phones such as the iPhone XS in the server have their internal storage encrypted, and manufacturers constantly push updates to keep their devices safe against exploits.

However if models are End of Life or their operating system, it absolutely makes sense for those to be eventually be exploitable.

Relevant Commands/Items

N/A

How will it benefit the server?

This gives an actual reason to purchase an expensive phone, as of right now experienced players often just buy the cheapest smartphone because there's no difference.

• Upvote 3
  • Applaud 1
10 minutes ago, Jeroen said:

Just FYI I'm against the feature of cracking itself, I can already see a lot of butthurt come from it. But if you're going to add it, at least give incentives to those who buy expensive phones.

ur acting like everyone has electronic supplier...
they're rare as HEEELLLLL like only 15 to 20 players or smth have it

I think the cracking is a great addition, although, a bit of an alternative rather than for older versions. Just some preface to it, locking new phones out would be just as unwise because state actors and some very crafty non state actors absolutely can get around things like "encryption" in a lot of cases (very specific set of circumstances that would not likely rise IG, and if it does preferably should be kept relatively limited for other considerations).

Anyways, maybe administration can chime in too;

Is it just a straight crack feature with a random fail percentage, or are other factors taken into consideration? For example, passwords with 10+ characters and an assortment of symbols would take decades to crack with automated systems. There are a lot of people that go to that extent, although, I'm not sure how many do IG. It's a fair consideration though because if someone does do that, it ignores the conditions that allow for it to be done as simply as the command allows.