LSNN - /newsbegin, /newsme and /newsdo

Sal

Hi,

I'd like to suggest three new commands for the news faction, LSNN, to improve immersion and readability of updates. These are:

/newsbegin [Name of Show]

Currently, when a news broadcast begins, users on the server get a notification which states the following:

LSNN is now broadcasting the news. Use /joinnews to tune in.

If we were to use this command, however, this would give LSNN the opportunity to name each show and thus, provide a reason for people to tune in (or not). So for instance:

/newsbegin The Nixon Report - Political Talkshow.

Could appear as:

LSNN is now broadcasting The Nixon Report - Political Talkshow. Use /joinnews to tune in.

/newsme and /newsdo

As LSNN's updates are all text-based (there is no spectate command to "broadcast TV" or anything like that), the requirement to describe scenes and individuals is often done like this:

zan9vf1.png 

While this does work, if we had specific commands for this it would look far more immersive and less cobbled-together. Here's how they could work:

/newsme looks at the camera, smiling with her perfect teeth.

would look like:

[NEWS] Allegra Nixon looks at the camera, smiling with her perfect teeth.

/newsdo The camera pans around the scene, revealing several fire trucks at Davis General Store. Around 10 firefighters appear to be tackling the blaze.

would look like:

[NEWS] * The camera pans around the scene, revealing several fire trucks at Davis General Store. Around 10 firefighters appear to be tackling the blaze.

This way it just looks considerably more neat and tidy. I'd also consider possibly changing the colour of these updates slightly, perhaps to a darker shade of green, similar to how /me and /do are a different colour in normal roleplay. This would highlight the difference between spoken word and descriptions, and could look like the following:

LSNN is now broadcasting The Nixon Report - Interview with State Secretary. Use /joinnews to tune in.

[LSNN] * The short, patriotic jingle for The Nixon Report plays. After the logo disappears off the screen, Allegra Nixon can be seen wearing a formal black suit and sitting behind the desk. She smiles.

[LSNN] Allegra Nixon says: Good evening Los Santos and welcome to The Nixon Report; the show where we interpret all the political jargon so you don't have to.

[LSNN] * The camera pans out, revealing a man in his late 40s sat just a little further down the desk. He's wearing a dark blue suit and also appears to be smiling.

[LSNN] Allegra Nixon says: I'm joined tonight by State Secretary Noah Wade, who'll be talking to us about a very important topic indeed. Welcome to the studio, Mr Wade.

[LSNN Interview] Noah Wade says: Thank you Allegra, and good evening Los Santos.

[LSNN] Allegra Nixon smiles back to Noah, but then her face turns a little more serious before she continues.

[LSNN] Allegra Nixon says: Now then, we're here to talk about the topic that's one everyone's lips: the elections.

You'll also note that I suggest changing the bracketed prefix to [LSNN] rather than [NEWS], this is just a stylistic request but again not essential. 

Update: It's also necessary to consider giving access to these commands for our interview guests. Perhaps they could have /interme and /interdo. 

Benefits if these suggestions are implemented:

• Greater indicator to potential audience, who can make a more informed decision on whether to /joinnews or not instead of having to do so by default just to see if it's for them.
  • Greater immersion for the viewing audience, who can read descriptive updates with more immersion rather than it coming across as OOC text in brackets as has been done previously
  • Provides an efficient solution rather than implementing a more potentially complex spectating system (which LSNN wouldn't want anyway, as we like the idea of viewers being able to sit there and RP watching TV with others, commenting on it, etc)
  • Makes it easier for whoever is broadcasting to clearly separate their messages, and also gives LSNN the opportunity to employ people specifically for the purposes of describing scenes, such as cameramen, without it seeming odd because of the names being visible. 

Let me know what you think!

Edited by Sal
interme, interdo
  • Upvote 7
5 minutes ago, knppel said:

Supporting, for apparent reasons.

One crucial addition I forgot: /newsme and /newsdo should be enabled (temporarily) for characters who are subject to /interinvite, for apparent reasons.

Supporting as well. /interme and /interdo ez commands to add.

Right now the scriptwise state of news is quite poor, we need to use techniques that were a thing maybe for forum RP in 2005, such as asterisks to roleplay stuff.