Changes to /panic

Bauer

12 hours ago, KaythPlus said:

Panic is only to be used in life-threatening situations anyway. So the fact they have to actually open chat and type it, and roleplay using it in a situation where they're being shot at or otherwise in danger is nerf enough. If you can't stop that from happening then it's fair game. The quick response is a balance of the fact that you can get basically five blocks away within a minute in GTA's map. Giving people a 30 second grace is as good as allowing them to go and sit anywhere else in the city.

The whole point of it is to try and peserve the life of the person using it. If a delay of anything over like 10 seconds is used, they become useless in the context of GTA and how fast you can move from A to B. May as well get rid of the alarm at that point and just force them to radio "Mayday, Location." It'll be faster and more effective.

We have a crime rate miles more unrealistic than what it should be with MCI's and people dying hourly each day. Any suggestions to lower this with OOC rules or boundries is met with people saying keep it IC. So of course if so many people are dying I think its certainly fair to allow cops quick response times and a useful panic button. Advocating the panic button to be more useless just advocates more people to shoot at cops cause it's a whole lot easier to get away when you get a nice little grace period. And if anything, we need less shootings. Not more.

This.

Not supporting. Motorola radios have the ability to be GPS tracked IRL, so it's realistic. I'm surprised you have an issue with this and not the magic GPS we get to every 911 call as soon as it comes in, whether it's from a fucking Nokia or a payphone or an iPhone X.

I would like to comment on something I’ve seen. People argue that we should keep the panic alarm because of a cop gets shot they can push it. You guys seem to forget we can already use teamspeak to call in shootings. Also as per a ruling from LFM a few months ago related to a situation I was in, you can’t even press your panic alarm when you’re on the injured state (ragdolled/dead). So that invalidates most of the points regarding shootings. 

When you’re being shot at your first instinct is to fight back. Not to type out an emote for a panic button. Plus even if you could type that fast, you’d die by the time you got the command in. 

If you’ve been shot once or twice but not put in the ragdoll/dead state then you would be fine to hit your panic button. But then the suspects are likely already gone, so what does a few extra seconds of delay matter.

Not to mention you could just go over central to announce you’re being shot at while it’s happening.

Big no to this.

The usage of /panic within LEO factions is already anecdotal, considering the faction-side restrictions that surround it, and the fact that you can't just pull its usage at every situation/shooting as you have to RP it properly and you don't usually have the time for that. So misuse of this feature is a non-issue for the most part, with only a few isolated incidents which I'm sure are already dealt with by their respective factions and LFM.

Now, I understand that from a LSPD perspective, which highly staffed and highly active within a very specific, 'small' and highly transited area of the map, restricting the feature to broadcast to just the LSPD is viable. But it's not the same for every other faction on the server. LSSD is usually dead at the times I patrol, which are early morning times, with usually just one car out or none, and one or two guards in TTCF, which requires us to continually work with LSPD and occasionally SAPR for assistance. Plus, the area of the map SD covers is immense and usually lacks civilian traffic to eventually find you. While you can use TS (its usage in SD for shooter situations is rare compared to PD, as we prioritise the use of /r), it's useless unless you have anyone else on duty in your faction.

The same applies for other factions that don't usually have that many people around. Say SAPR or SFM, LSFD even. It's not uncommon at all for SD and PR to work together in the area around Paleto, and the areas near State Parks, with PR usually being the closest to an emergent situation in those areas, due to SD being all spread around the county. So /panic guarantees that you'll get some response from the closest units to you, regardless of agency, which is what would be realistic in our setting.

I feel this feature is already balanced enough with the strict restrictions that apply to it in every single faction. In my whole time in PD/SD (1.5 years), I have never had to trigger it, and probably seen less than 10 incidents in which the panic alarm was triggered, with a few of them being MVAs/Rescue requests, and the most of the others that were shootings having absolutely no effect over the shooters, which are already long gone by the time the units get there.

All in all, don't see why this is needed. Factions and LFM already do a good job restricting any abuse and the use of the feature is already rare.

With recent changes already having a tangible impact in diminishing the police roleplayer community, I can't support this. This would cause a sudden and sharp decline in an already small and heavily restricted police presence. This Grand Theft Auto server benefits from a law enforcement RP community and we need rules that won't just drive them away to make another community more successful.

40 minutes ago, KinnyWynny said:

You must be joking, right? You're joking. You gotta be.

Law enforcement factions on this server, and pretty much every server that'll ever come out, have the most development and most time brought to them, they're incredibly supported and constantly monitored. They have tons of mods, while civilian companies have to fight tooth and nail to get a single truck livery for their haulers. They're essentially the ones pushing for clothing mods, the very first EUP update pushed on this server had twelve available outfits for the two main law enforcement factions, while the LSFD had one outfit, and every other legal faction had zero. The second major clothing update had a large selection of law enforcement clothing, while the rest may of had a couple outfits at best. There is tons of script support for law enforcement, rifles, forensics, helicopter cameras, they can drop from a helicopter via roping, unlock any door on the map, arrest, taze, and yes, do /panic alarms.

No other sector of roleplay has this much script support and modding support. Not to mention the amount of things Law Enforcement have access to as roleplay, every LEO faction on this server has a medevac capable helicopter, the two biggest ones both have Paramedic teams, when their counterparts, the LAPD, doesn't have Paramedics in their SWAT team. Every LEO faction has search and rescue capability. And beyond that, law enforcement can NPC other factions off at whim. EMS has two scripts at best, /revive and /heal. Both of which are years old. The hospital is a little better with three scripts. And criminals are just lackluster at best. I haven't even mentioned companies, coroners and small business roleplayers.

I don't think any of that is a BAD thing. I wish it was the same for other sectors of roleplay, but its a fact.

To say law enforcement is at anyway diminished because of minor changes to the server is laughable to the highest extent imaginable.

That's perfectly normal, though. Law enforcement is one of the most central aspects of GTA role-playing servers. Regardless of what you do, you'll end up role-playing with the police in one way or another. Either by joining them as a cop, or as civilian staff, by being pursued and imprisoned by them, having your organization investigated and your stash house raided, or even as a civilian at an event or something. Unlike other factions and role-play avenues, most things that happen on the server circle back to one of the LEO factions. It's normal that they're the most heavily supported, they play an astonishing role in everyone's role-play, directly or not. I'd certainly like to see more updates for civilians and illegal role-players, but that doesn't mean that there are too many for LEO factions. In this case, it isn't even an OP feature - it's literally how it works in real life.

4 hours ago, Bauer said:

I would like to comment on something I’ve seen. People argue that we should keep the panic alarm because of a cop gets shot they can push it. You guys seem to forget we can already use teamspeak to call in shootings. Also as per a ruling from LFM a few months ago related to a situation I was in, you can’t even press your panic alarm when you’re on the injured state (ragdolled/dead). So that invalidates most of the points regarding shootings. 

When you’re being shot at your first instinct is to fight back. Not to type out an emote for a panic button. Plus even if you could type that fast, you’d die by the time you got the command in. 

If you’ve been shot once or twice but not put in the ragdoll/dead state then you would be fine to hit your panic button. But then the suspects are likely already gone, so what does a few extra seconds of delay matter.

Not to mention you could just go over central to announce you’re being shot at while it’s happening.

If that's the case, I don't see the urgency or need to even nerf it. The whole argument is that it's way too powerful - if you have a much more powerful way of getting help (by calling it in, live) and there are such restrictions to using /panic, why would you even need to nerf it?

1 hour ago, KinnyWynny said:

To say law enforcement is at anyway diminished because of minor changes to the server is laughable to the highest extent imaginable.

To say that criminals are in any way diminished because of minor changes to the server is just as laughable, to the highest extent imaginable.

We literally had pages in another suggestion, of criminals saying a proposal would "kill criminal roleplay" despite someone realizing that the proposal was already an implemented rule. The claim is meaningless now. According the criminal community, the criminal community died out several months ago.

You're going to need a better argument, otherwise it's just as applicable to the other side.

Edited by DasFroggy