The Ability To Turn Off Local OOC

Snoot

4 minutes ago, Triple Seven said:

With all due respect, this sounds like a troll suggestion to me

While that's a bit too harsh possibly, the rest is true- however, this is just because it's not thought through.

People run into one situation where /b derails ongoing roleplay (it happens, we've all been there), without any apparent reason (i.e. admin situation needing resolving).

The simple conclusion of such is that it should be possible to just ignore (and consequently mute) others' irrelevant /b.

Needless to point out for aforementioned reasons muting this is no solution (it would further fuel the core issue, if it got ignored when it happens).

11 hours ago, L33SA5 said:

Just no! People! Close this topic already!

If you closed my topics wanting to give players more options and choices, but don't close this one which is entirely stupid and pointless (REMOVE OOC! OOC IS AN INTEGRAL PART OF RP SERVERS ALL ACROSS THE INTERNET!!!)

It's not integral. If I don't want to see your /b then I shouldn't need to. If you need something "important" PM me.

13 minutes ago, Vassilios said:

It's not integral. If I don't want to see your /b then I shouldn't need to. If you need something "important" PM me.

But voice for cops is, eh?

Seriously, it is integral- necessity to adress a group, all I say.

A pm to you won't always sort it.

Edited by knppel
23 minutes ago, knppel said:

But voice for cops is, eh?

There's a bit of a difference /b and teamspeak as they're used for different things. This is not a discussion about use of voice so I won't talk about it.

23 minutes ago, knppel said:

Seriously, it is integral- necessity to adress a group, all I say.

A pm to you won't always sort it.

If I don't want to read /b and miss something that should be on me. Just like I can block pms, I should be able to block /b messages too.

I don't understand why people are against this idea, it's not forced on you. If you don't want to use it, don't use it.

34 minutes ago, Vassilios said:

Just like I can block pms, I should be able to block /b messages too.

Big difference: PM messages may be used to target someone and harass them.

Here, a quick fix on user end (blocking) is a feasible solution.

/b, opposed to that, is needed whenever a situation in public (i.e. between more than 2 involved players who could sort it over pm) requires ooc clarification- which happens all the time.

It's just so that the 100 times where you casually use it briefly and without to interrupt the rp, you don't notice (as you don't get disturbed by it).

The one time when someone actually interrupts sticks out and makes a necessary tool in the game design look bad.

And of course, you forget a crucial point- if you already blocked someone's /b you will most likely not bother to then talk to them much in pm's.

So it's fully pointless to say "people can pm me".

1 hour ago, Vassilios said:

There's a bit of a difference /b and teamspeak as they're used for different things.

And while I didn't mean to seriously discuss this, one important thing is that voice, in case, can replace /b for ooc comments on disruptive scenes (look every silly video where someone ends up screaming or laughing as evidence).

Naturally, a better part of the banter us other players hold in /b being done on voice, same as quick ooc remarks to guide through roleplay situations that are constantly needed throughout the game, gives you a blind eye for the necessity of /b.

Excess use of /b is the textbook example of where you should just report ingame, and admins will usually take swift action if it's just disruptive ooc, as it's a fairly obvious thing to spot.

3 hours ago, Vassilios said:

Yes because when shit hits the fan, let me just take 15 minutes to PM every individual person in a room.

Is /b annoying? Yes. Do people spam it with irrelevant shit? Yes. I get it, it's aids to deal with in the majority of situations. But in the event that it is needed, it's crucial and it's important that everyone can see it. This suggestion only serves to create more headaches then it solves. If we're really that frustrated as a community by people abusing /b, why don't we try cracking down on it before we start suggestion significant changes that'll create more of a burden on staff and players.

• Wuhtah locked this topic