The issues with the new nameplate system.

L I C E

11 minutes ago, thekillergreece said:

Testing a feature is not that simple as it sounds.

This here- some stuff can't be as easily tested in a simulated scenario - I've buildt up an addiction ingame over weeks with the new system to run into a bug on that end, just as example.

You can test likely-to-happen, easy-to-achieve scenarios- and I assume this does happen before stuff is implemented-, but not all possible eventualities.

10 minutes ago, Biscuit said:

Everything mentioned in this thread so far is literally a bug.

Just to throw in here:

This is not as easy to spot out for us not-devs without having insight in the actual game design.

Without the knowledge that something isn't wad, we typically assume first it is, and that the flaw lies in the game design behind it (compare again the recent drug-example where I also submitted a suggestion to tweak it when I technically had ran into a bug that wasn't meant to work that way, and had just been created by a very odd and specific scenario).

2 minutes ago, knppel said:

Just to throw in here:

This is not as easy to spot out for us not-devs without having insight in the actual game design.

Without the knowledge that something isn't wad, we typically assume first it is, and that the flaw lies in the game design behind it (compare again the recent drug-example where I also submitted a suggestion to tweak it when I technically had ran into a bug that wasn't meant to work that way, and had just been created by a very odd and specific scenario).

That's why I as a developer, am stating, it's better to report it as a bug then to complain about an imperfect system on general discussion, one's gonna get you a result whilst the other is not gonna do anything, because developers won't ever have the proper information to reproduce and fix the issue.

I'm not really here to argue what is a bug, what is a feature and what is an uncomplete implementation, let the developers figure that out themselves, but this isn't the correct channel to do so.

10 minutes ago, Static said:

It's impossible to test every single edge case with a feature such as this one, you can't expect us to go around testing it with every single entity in the game. We were aware that it would block nametags if your line of sight was obstructed by another player even before releasing but being a resource-intensive task already as it is  (not for server but your game clients), we didn’t want to push it further before getting some feedback first.

For the videos in the OP, you probably didn't get ran over because of missing nametags. In both cases I don't see anything blocking their line of sight to you so unless you have a video from their POV these videos don't add any value the way I see it.

I’m already working on a way to efficiently handle players behind other players, I’ll keep you posted.

Here's a few instances where name tag should be visible but it ain't:

Spoiler

FcglQ7V.jpg

pvOowAz.jpg

4eGaZ0q.jpg

AVTnSNG.jpg

In this image, the guy with grey shirt, my character would've clearly seen his nametag, but nope:

Spoiler

HfqpEJC.jpg

Apparently the chair is blocking it, might be wrong.

1 hour ago, Dos Santos said:

Before a feature is processed and released I feel like it needs a lot more testing before it's actually released to the public, as we keep having to restrict features that are absolutely amazing. Fair enough if we come across a few bugs but surely there's enough staff to jump on a test server and try out every single thing to balance out any errors with the features?

42 minutes ago, Static said:

It's impossible to test every single edge case with a feature such as this one, you can't expect us to go around testing it with every single entity in the game. We were aware that it would block nametags if your line of sight was obstructed by another player even before releasing but being a resource-intensive task already as it is  (not for server but your game clients), we didn’t want to push it further before getting some feedback first.

For the videos in the OP, you probably didn't get ran over because of missing nametags. In both cases I don't see anything blocking their line of sight to you so unless you have a video from their POV these videos don't add any value the way I see it.

I’m already working on a way to efficiently handle players behind other players, I’ll keep you posted.

surely its time for a tester role, simply for people to try these updates out?

14 hours ago, LICE said:

>Tries crossing the road at night time 

>Wearing all black 

>gets creamed 

>"Why didn't anyone see me?!"

200 IQ move.

This is an IC issue. Guy who hit you ran the red light traveling at mach 10. Your character was wearing dark clothing at night. Things like this happen IRL on a daily basis. Blaming it on the nameplate system seems misdirected. 

14 hours ago, Brett Love said:

I had several officers pass this scene because they couldn't see that two people were down in the middle of the road and who knows how many more passed and didn't see. At certain perspectives its detrimental.

I was just involved in a car accident and I was ignored by like several people and a few cops because they couldn't see anyone in the cars and it looked like just a normal desync issue or a car hit these cars and so on...

20210621185915_1.thumb.jpg.8b7ce0435c379f416890b66093ab43ab.jpg

This kept glitching too Maximillian's nametag was sometimes visible to me sometimes not, it would flicker every now and then. But I fail to see as to why I could not see either Jackson's nametag or the Cop's nametag.

Sounds like an IC issue; the cops maybe should have investigated further; I don't see a problem here to be honest.