Geographical placement of gangs.

Rushing

I'd like to have a civilized discussion of whether the members of gta:w believe that the current placement of gangs within LS is realistic or not.

Placement of gangs within gta:w:

Spoiler

EhX1jGq.gif

adapted from:

Current placement of gangs IRL:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?msa=0&dg=feature&mid=1MyoToeYPKEx54C3BPdblKZEKaRQ&ll=35.68063780565238%2C-119.26902999999999&z=7

As someone that's involved in gang rp, I personally believe that the current placement is realistic, however I'd like to hear from others.

Edited by Rushing
2 minutes ago, RoyalPainter said:

I think geographical position literally does not matter, you don’t need to be poor to be in a gang 

This tbh, but I'd like to say that gangs work differently in different areas of different economic levels and different subcultures, a.k.a. not all gangs are the same or work the same just because they're all technically gangs.

As for the current state? It's generally fine, the issue is rarely if a gang is there but more how the gang portrays itself relative to the area.

27 minutes ago, Rushing said:

I'd like to have a civilized discussion of whether the members of gta:w believe that the current placement of gangs within LS is realistic or not.

Placement of gangs within gta:w:

Reveal hidden contents

EhX1jGq.gif

adapted from:

Current placement of gangs IRL:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?msa=0&dg=feature&mid=1MyoToeYPKEx54C3BPdblKZEKaRQ&ll=35.68063780565238%2C-119.26902999999999&z=7

As someone that's involved in gang rp, I personally believe that the current placement is realistic, however I'd like to hear from others.

See the issue is that there's literally nothing wrong with the placement of almost every single gang (yes, there are exceptions) however you also need to keep in mind that SA doesn't resemble CA 1:1 and therefore placement of gangs isn't quite as realistic or possible. Not to mention simply the size of the map, while there are several gangs in LA that would hold down numerous blocks here you have the biggest factions holding down two blocks at most. 

Edited by i dont wanna od in LA
  • Upvote 1

The map in GTAW is very compressed. Areas in game represent much larger areas in RL, some of which have gangs, some of which really do not have any gangs in them other than a few strays that come in from other areas. Gangs want to have turf, and as the server population increases they decide to claim more and more territory, which is totally understandable.

The problem is when a gang decides to set up shop in a neighborhood, some of which might reasonably gang territory, and decides to claim the whole thing as their turf, including areas that make no sense for the specific gangs to claim as turf. And then they powergame their made-up gang's backstory onto the entire existing population of the area and harrass existing residents as if it the neighborhood was gang turf all along.

This is just the reverse of mallrats buying property in Davis.

• Thanks 1
  • Applaud 1
Just now, i dont wanna od in LA said:

SA doesn't resemble CA 1:1 and therefore realistic placement of gangs isn't quite as realistic or possible. Not to mention simply the size of the map, while there are several gangs in LA that would hold down numerous blocks here you have the biggest factions holding down two blocks at most. 

Yeah, I realize this, but most gangs on GTA:W aim to establish their IC hood in an area that's relative to the IRL placement. This thread is more about how people feel about the current placement of the gangs.

Just now, Rushing said:

Yeah, I realize this, but most gangs on GTA:W aim to establish their IC hood in an area that's relative to the IRL placement. This thread is more about how people feel about the current placement of the gangs.

So let me give you an example then. There's no area in GTA5 which would resemble Long Beach, California. That's why you've got a shitton of LB sets in Vespucci, cause the Vespucci seems like the most similiar area to how LB looks irl. There's nothing wrong with the majority of current placements imo. However if you believe that they're incorrect, you might as well nitpick and argue that since Davis Mall is based off of Slauson Super Mall no other factions but R60s should be allowed anywhere near it.

• Rohan. locked this topic